FAREWELL to a friend.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

FAREWELL to a friend....

I just learned that an old friend, Dick Boyer (of Calgary) died last weekend, out riding his "Super10".

He had turned back to go home due to the dusty conditions when he hit a deer and ended up in the ditch w/ severe head trauma. They got Dick to the hospital where part of his brain had to be removed, but he died soon after.

I met him in '74 when I got into riding dirt, and we rode together a LOT. He (an EXPERT OPEN class enduro rider) had the uncanny ability to teach you how to ride by just riding 5% faster than YOU could, increasing that speed as you improved, thus making your riding improve constantly. I learned a LOT from him including getting a similar TT500 to ride our enduros, even convincing Dick to move out to Alberta (and the Rocky Mountains) for BETTER riding, and I towed my dirt-bike to Alberta from Ontario (where I was living) twice to ride the "Rocks" w/ Dickie. Since I returned to Alberta in '88 Dick and I rode together many times, and his "rep" was well-known among the ADSMC (Alberta Dual-Sport Motorcycle Club) group.

He tried almost every BIG dual-sport as they became available, even riding crappy SINGLE-TRACK on his BMW GS1200.

I tried to get him to do a D2D w/ me, but he always said - "I prefer short FAST rides!" - and that's what his last ride was.

Good bye, Dick.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:29 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear about your friend Ed..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Garage
Always sad to lose a fellow rider, let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 PM

I guess all the experience in the world won't help when your time is up...............may he RIP.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 PM

I didn't know him, but I give my condolences to a fellow rider. May he rest in peace.

I have had many of my riding buddies badly hurt, and a couple of them killed due to hitting deer.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I just learned that an old friend, Dick Boyer (of Calgary) died last weekend, out riding his "Super10"....

Good bye, Dick.
Sorry for your loss Eddie.... Never easy losing a riding buddy..
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Garage
Truly sorry for your loss. Everything pales in comparison when a friend or family member dies.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 PM

Garage
Sorry for your loss.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Very sorry to hear such sad news. It's always difficult to lose a friend, especially a long time friend and one who enjoys the same activities.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

May his soul rest in peace..its always sad to lose loved ones...

May the memories of friendship keep you strong.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 PM

Forum member "nib" from Alberta Dual Sport-

"Richard "Dick" Boyer from Calgary had a collision with a deer on Saturday, September 2nd around 10:30 am on a gravel road south of Turner Valley. It was on a straight wide gravel road with only a few bushes on the side. 4 riders went thru the same road before him leaving 30 second interval to let settle the dust. I was one of them and I’ve never seen the deer on the side of the road. When he crashed, he badly hit his head and unfortunately, passes away Sunday from traumatic head injury. Dick was an experimented off-road rider and was riding a Yamaha super Tenere."

Deer crash fatality during the weekend | Alberta Dual Sport

Last edited by invader; 09-11-2017 at 10:38 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Garage
Sorry for your loss. I have no personal experience with losing someone I know in a wreck. I know that it would have an impact on my riding. Today, when I head out, your friend will be at the forefront of my thoughts as I ride.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:57 AM

Ah man so sorry to hear about your friend. I ride in the Sierra Nevada's all the time and my big fear is hitting a deer.

I clobbered one years ago in my old ford van. Was going about 75 mph. Man what an impact. Game over if I was on a bike.

A friend recently hit a deer up on the north coast. He was going about 60, was able to jam on the brakes and hit the doe around 45 mph. Now here is the crazy part...He did not crash and the bike was not damaged. Thank you Jesus!

He did tell me that he may have cracked a couple of ribs. The deer wrapped around the front end and it's shoulder and head hit him on his right side.

Bee safe out there fellas.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 AM

Sorry for your pain Ed. May Mr. Boyer rest in peace and be remembered by many.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry for Your Loss

Many times it is nice to be able to attach a picture to a name, as we age so does our memory. I did a search and found this, it is always nice to remember the many good rides we have shared , thank you for sharing this;BOYER, Joseph Charles Richard - McInnis & Holloway Funeral Homes & Cremation Services | Calgary Alberta
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear that about your friend. Sounds like he loved riding. May he rest in peace.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
-Confucius
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for your thoughts, and especially to those who searched out more info on Dick's crash.

SOMEWHERE I have a "Super 8mm" film I took, then 'edited' of a several day ride we did in the MacLean Creek/ Bragg Creek areas of western Alberta, back around the late '70s (I towed from the Montreal area to Calgary).

Good (no - make that GREAT!) times, w/ lots of laughs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and I hope he didn't suffer.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 11:51 PM

Really sorry to hear about this. May he rip the enduro trails forever!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 04:25 PM

So sorry to read this. Please accept our condolences.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode