Air temp thermometer that fits in dash socket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By NightRider
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Air temp thermometer that fits in dash socket?

Does anyone know of a thermometer that will fit into the accessory hole on the Versys dash? I mean the empty socket where I don't have a 12v jack installed - I know there are many thermometers that plug into a 12V jack but this is not what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
whats the holes inside diameter? (i have a first gen so dont have those holes)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae5x View Post
Does anyone know of a thermometer that will fit into the accessory hole on the Versys dash? I mean the empty socket where I don't have a 12v jack installed - I know there are many thermometers that plug into a 12V jack but this is not what I'm looking for.
I have the old Formotion black face/white number damped thermo that might fit the hole. otherwise it just clamps to the handlebar. works great! have them on all bikes, too bad formotion abandoned making those.

https://www.google.com/search?q=form...yLki3ZE0gUG6M:

I do have a brand new spare if you want. Pic if needed. GREAT thermos.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 09-07-2017 at 02:46 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
whats the holes inside diameter? (i have a first gen so dont have those holes)
Either 1 or 1.25".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae5x View Post
My experience with trying a few is the surface mount, non electronic ones, don't work. This is because the sun hits them and they reflect the surface temp not the actual temp. You need one with a remote temp sensor mounted where it gets clean airflow, is not impacted from heat from the engine/rad, but is out of the sun so as not to be impacted from radiant heat.

There is a thread on this board of a guy who took the 12v socket volt/temp gauge and surface mounted it. If they made a surface mounted version of this I would purchase in a heartbeat. That said my need to have a temp gauge these days is lessened by the fact my phone always gives me the temp.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-07-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...That said my need to have a temp gauge these days is lessened by the fact my phone always gives me the temp.
Here's MY temp gauge:

1. IF I'm sweating it's HOT;

2. IF I'm comfortable it's NICE; and

3. IF I'm shivering it's COLD.

(There IS another: 4. IF I'm dripping it's probably RAINING - tho' that COULD be #1 AGAIN......!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's MY temp gauge:

1. IF I'm sweating it's HOT;

2. IF I'm comfortable it's NICE; and

3. IF I'm shivering it's COLD.

(There IS another: 4. IF I'm dripping it's probably RAINING - tho' that COULD be #1 AGAIN......!)

I don't get why the need for ambient temp gauge either.
Engine temp gauge on the other hand could be useful, just in case the radiator fan malfunctions.
In fact, if I could find the engine temp gauge for V accessory socket, I'd definitely get one.
RoaringTodd likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=twowheels;1440666]My experience with trying a few is the surface mount, non electronic ones, don't work. This is because the sun hits them and they reflect the surface temp not the actual temp. You need one with a remote temp sensor mounted where it gets clean airflow, is not impacted from heat from the engine/rad, but is out of the sun so as not to be impacted from radiant heat.
QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was hoping to find for the reasons you mention. I think unicorns are more common - oh well.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
I do have a brand new spare if you want. Pic if needed. GREAT thermos.
I see they are still made but thanks for the offer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Engine temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post

I don't get why the need for ambient temp gauge either.
Engine temp gauge on the other hand could be useful, just in case the radiator fan malfunctions.
In fact, if I could find the engine temp gauge for V accessory socket, I'd definitely get one.
Like this one, FYI the fan comes on at 214'F, which it is at in this picture,to the right of the gauge is a wire going to my INNOVV K1 camera
NightRider likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-14-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Like this one, FYI the fan comes on at 214'F, which it is at in this picture,to the right of the gauge is a wire going to my INNOVV K1 camera
That looks spot on! Any chance of finding the one exactly like yours?
I'm used to Celsius scale but I honestly wouldn't mind the Fahrenheit gauge at all, yours looks great.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You mean the Versys doesn't tell you the temperature? My FZ07 tells me the ambient temperature and the engine temperature.

Come on Kawasaki, get with the times.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:07 AM

Garage
I miss having both of those, engine temp gauge and ambient temp as well. On the other hand, i get on and just ride. The less distractions the better. I do have a small stick on thermometer in this space for curiosity sake but rely on the "sweat" method to tell me what is going on! i do think this was a cost saving measure on Kawasaki"s part because this data is available from the bike's computer, all that is needed is the dash digital read out.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
(snip) i do think this was a cost saving measure on Kawasaki"s part because this data is available from the bike's computer, all that is needed is the dash digital read out.
Weird that they decided not to at least offer the engine temp gauge as an accessory, if they decided to cut cost.
That way they can charge extra for it and everybody's happy. Or is that too unreasonable to ask?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You mean the Versys doesn't tell you the temperature? My FZ07 tells me the ambient temperature and the engine temperature.

Come on Kawasaki, get with the times.

The V-1000 does..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'd like to know when the ambient temp is approaching freezing. Bridges icing and ice fog can be an unpleasant surprise when commuting in the spring and fall. I'd also like to know the coolant and engine oil temps, so I know when the engine is actually at operating temp (oil above 80C / 175F).

<RANT>
To me, most multi-function digital displays are a distraction. I consider them useless if they require a button press to change what is being displayed. The displays on some of the high end vehicles are ridiculous! A big bright distraction screen with rotary dial, a trigger and a couple push buttons to control engine tuning, traction control, ABS, suspension settings, cruise control, grip and seat heating, clock with multiple time zones, elapsed time displays, display brightness, and much much more. But don't worry, your cell phone and GPS can also be linked via bluetooth or mounted within your line of sight as well!

I prefer individual analog gauges that can be glanced at for immediate recognition of "normal position" on the gauge. Even the digital speedo on the V has become a flickering nuisance to me. How fast am I going? KPH -> 100, 98, 101, 99, 103, 97, 99, 101, 102, 100,... Around 100, got it. That is with the throttle lock on while cruising a flat and straight road. And let's not forget to mentally calculate the actual speed based on the known error of the speedo! A needle pointed at a position / number, like the tachometer, is much easier to comprehend without any actual thought process and no distraction.

The digital odometer / trip meters / clock are almost as much of a bother. A quick glance tells you a number, but only if the ignition is on. What number? One has to look closer to read the indicator. Oh, Trip B not the odometer. Press the button 2 times to get the odometer (for the mileage log entry). Whoops! pressed 3 times and got Trip A. Press 3 times...
Boy, do I miss the old school simplicity and functionality of my '82 and it's analog gauges!
</RANT>

Thanks for letting me get that off my mind! I'm now going to show my V some love by washing 2 weeks (~2000 km / 1200 mi) of bugs and grime off of it. I'll also install some LED driving lights. Now that the days are getting shorter in the northern hemisphere, I find myself riding in the dark a fair bit. Won't be long and I'll be wanting that ambient temp gauge!

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in