From Texas To Cali With A Stop Over In Arizona - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
From Texas To Cali With A Stop Over In Arizona

Well headed out of haslet tx.at 1:15am central time and made it to my planned stop over of benson az.at 4:15pm central time so 850 miles in 15 hours works for me could have gone farther but that was my plan and i'm sticking to it. Have photos of the bike when i left. Way over packed the bike. knew it as soon as i got on it i should have sent most of it u.p.s. like i did a bunch of other stuff. A few times it seem like the kick stand was going to give had to be real careful getting on and off the bike was about to tip over a few times. will have to be more careful on repacking it tomorrow. Had a great little meal the place is call the apple farm. if you ever in benson and your hungry you can't go wrong here.Gonna get a good night sleep and should be in going through san diego middle of the afternoon if not sooner. Like driving at night but on the bike i keep waiting for a deer to jump out in front of me. So i'll leave just before sun up.

IMG_0126 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0127 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0128 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0129 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0130 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0131 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0132 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have a good trip. Be careful....

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Have a good trip. Be careful....
Thanks, So far so good. Making great time most of the way speed limits ar 70,75 and 80mph. tons of bike on the road almost all waved and that includes 3 bmw riders on very nice machines all lined up in a row. all the harley guy have been the first to wave. A goldwing guy fell in with me then he took the lead and slowed me up in a couple of areas he had a cb and new some state troopers were set up. pulled into a rest area to chat he was from rhode island. Was coming fron jacksonville fl heading to redondo beach ca. real nice guy he liked the signs at the new mexico rest area that said look out for rattle snakes. I like the one that said no soliciting. so watch out for snakes and lot lizards.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 PM

You packed that bike like a mule.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
Yep and those bags are heavy and with my 270lb butt before gear and riding into the wind mostly mid to high 80's on mph really blew the gas milage. Went from the tank before best milage i've ever gotten on the bike to crap not wasting my time checking the milage. But the bike handled it great though.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 AM

You're moving to Cali and thought "why spend the money on a UHaul"?
Kidding!
Glad the bike is up to the task, awesome!~
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Yeah, you definitely needed a Center Stand.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Didn't want to get out of bed this morning. Left at 6am Mountain time and got to the home in cali at 3pm pacific. Nice smooth run but lost a highway peg on i-8 west about 115 miles before san diego

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Looks like you packed more stuff than my wife
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Nice smooth run but lost a highway peg on i-8 west about 115 miles before san diego
Yowsa. What's the damage?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Yowsa. What's the damage?

Had my left foot on the peg and it rolled a little so i thought ahh they swivel thats cool. Later put my foot on the same peg and felt it "swivel" then my foot dropped alittle didn't check at first but something felt funny so i looked and my foot was resting on "a nub" where the peg screws onto. Didn't know those ssrewed on so minus i peg will have to order a set.So if any one has the rivcco make sure there tight.

IMG_0139 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0140 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0141 by weljo2001, on Flickr

As you can see not to comfortable for a 1400+ mile ride.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 PM

As you can see not to comfortable for a 1400+ mile ride.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Looks good to me!
Be safe.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Looks like you packed more stuff than my wife

Well i had planned to travel light. But someway that just didn't workout.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Talking some day!

wow,that looked like a great run...xcept for leavin at 1 am..was the traffic insane when you got to cali...where are the ocean pics?...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by holykaw1 View Post
wow,that looked like a great run...xcept for leavin at 1 am..was the traffic insane when you got to cali...where are the ocean pics?...

Was a nice ride. No traffic came in on a sunday. Only took some pictures at a rest area at the imperial sand dunes was the worst location for taking the photos. First run only came off the bike 2 times to hit the restroom and get a drink. Gassed up sitting on the bike and hauled butt. Was too big a pain getting on and off the bike the way it was loaded it wanted to tip over on the kick stand. 2nd day packed it alittle better but still only came off the bike twice.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 PM

eating light I see.. hehe

guess you need the carbs to keep that bike up straight with all that gear.. you are seriously overloaded there my friend.. bikes have a GVWR just like cars and trucks.. I expect your exceeding it by a bit..

but nice to see the bike can do long distance just like the big boys..

Last edited by robdogg; 05-23-2011 at 04:22 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 PM

That's an awful lot of stuff. I imagine your V's agile handling is somewhat compromised.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
That's an awful lot of stuff. I imagine your V's agile handling is somewhat compromised.
Not at all. The only concern was putting it on the kick stand. No handling issues the bike handled it like i was riding alone my speeds were almost always in the 80's up to 90+ on occassion very seldom in the 60's at all. mostly open road with very few speed limits under 70. This little bike we have continues to impress me the more i ride it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode