Rear tire plugged. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear tire plugged.

Just over two hundred miles on my versus and stopped at the store and noticed a nail head in my rear tire. I put some spit on my finger and rubbed it on the nail and bubbles! Across the street was a tire store and he put a plugg in it! Any. Of you guys ride with a plugged tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 AM

I picked up a nail early in the life of my Versys as well. They plugged it and I rode until the tyre wore out at 18,000 km. If the plug is close to the centre it's safer than if it's closer to the edge.

You can help make Clem a household name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 AM

Yeh same here brand spanking new bike and a rear puncture with around 150 miles
pluged mine, didnt like it much but its now up to 9000miles

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 AM

I had one plugged for about 5,000 miles with no issues.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:28 AM

Good on ya.
I have two and two projects gives me a reason to get out in the shed whilst she watches the TV
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Iím not comfortable with the string/cord type plugs but Iíve used the mushroom-head type on a couple of bike tires (including one that was damned near bald) and a slew of car tires... and never had one fail.

Not an endorsement. Use at your own risk. YMMV

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Rik

Some may disagree but...
I pulled what appeared to be a needle bearing out of the center groove of my back tire some 4500 miles ago while on a trip. Needless to say the tire went flat QUICK!. Due to location and circumstances I dumped some "Tire Slime" in it. I had planned to plug or replace the tire but have yet to do it. The slime plugged the whole quite nicely and is still holding up. I'm almost to 8000 miles now with proper wear and no problems. I'm sure I'll get a stern "Talking to" when I finally take it in to my mechanic for new rubber. but hey, the stuff works!
Rik
08 Versys
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 AM

My rear tire has been plugged (by yours truly) for a couple thousand miles now. No problems at all.

Anyone have a front tire plugged?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:45 AM

wouldnt do it
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
wouldnt do it
Why not?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 AM

I plugged the rear on my VFR with a mushroom head plug.

It worked and was ok but the "object" must have done some damage to the carcass as there was movement when banked over.

After that I view the plugs as a temp fix and would ride with one in the front for any distance other than to get to the tyre shop.

Tubbylardo

my website -

Kent, England, UK

Previous rides:
1986 RXS100, 1980 CB400n, 1986 DT125lc,
1982 Z440ltd, 1987 GPX250r, 1996 ZX-6R,
1997 Zephyr 750, 2000 VRF800Fi
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM

I just tried plugging my rear tire two weeks ago with DynaPlugs. After inserting 4 plugs side by side into the hole (the max they recommend for temp fixes only), there was still a slow leak. The hole was big. I tried riding it to the shop hoping the plugs would slow the leak enough to get it the 6 miles there. Nope. Half way there, the tire went flat again and I had to call a tow truck.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:18 AM

I have ridden 5000 miles on a plugged tire. I made sure to be EXTRA vigilent on checking the pressure before almost every ride.

No issues.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Rear I have risked as it was a new bike the front for me is personaly a no go.
In a high speed flat I feel I would have more control over a rear blow out than a front.

I didnt like plugging the rear only did it as it was new this was also done with the mushroom type glued in by a tyre fitter

Last edited by stephen; 05-21-2011 at 11:14 AM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
can anyone suggest the best tire repair kit to carry? marc.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM

here is what i carry. along with a compact compressor. takes up hrdly any room at all.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I will put in a plug to get me home, and then I will pull the tire to inspect the inside and if there is no damage and plenty of tread, I will put a patch on the inside.
Then mount the tire, balance and put back on the bike. Have only had to do this once in 100,000 miles on my bikes, but have helped out a couple of friends.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Milanowski View Post
here is what i carry. along with a compact compressor. takes up hrdly any room at all.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html
Yep thats the one i keep on the bike so far knock on wood haven't had to use it. hope i never need too.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yep thats the one i keep on the bike so far knock on wood haven't had to use it. hope i never need too.
I plugged my rear Michelin PR3 with the Stop & Go mushroom plug in Elmore City, Oklahoma and it got me 950 miles home to Panama City, Florida without incident.

About a week or ten days after arriving home the plug started leaking and I ended up with a rear tire that would leak down from 36lbs to flat overnight.

I ended up installing a new PR3 on the rear as the leaker had just done 5600+ miles... but I swear by the Stop & Go plugs.

What I should have done was practiced using the Stop & Go plugger a couple of times on an old tire - before I had to use it for real. Although I got my tire plugged on my second attempt (with the original plug) - a practice session or two would have made the "real-world" job a bit less stressful.

I also found out that a good pair of vice grips and a box end wrench came in handy when turning the allen wrench all the way to where it stops... as instructed by the cheat sheet that ships with the kit.

-- In the Stop & Go instructional video (which I watched two or three times once I got my kit) makes this step look easy - like it can be done with little or no effort - just using your two hands. I did not find this to be the case. I had to grip the plugger body with vice grips and use a box end wrench on the allen key for additional leverage in order to turn it until it "bottomed out" and got the plug from inside the plugger body - through the plugger nozzle and into the tire.

Moral of the story - If you've got a Stop & Go kit - watch the video a few times and do a couple of test plugs on an old tire - just to get the hang of it... before you have to do it on the side of the road... in the middle of nowhere... maybe even in the dark.

Video: http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Neighbor used my stop-n-go plug kit to repair the rear tire on his new ZX10R. The next night he was running from the cops at very high speeds. Crashed and totaled his bike went to hospital then jail.But the plug held up.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode