2011 Windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2011 Windscreen

So, read all the posts about windscreens I could find, but they seem to be all about the 2008 style. Anyone have experience with the 2011 style?

At 6'2" I have tried all three positions and still get a lot of buffeting, although lower seems to be better. I just took the screen completely off and am going to see what that is like tomorrow. Any input on reduction in buffeting on a 2011 would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
A Bell Star Full Face Helmet. Light and aerodynamic. Also, tight fitting gear helps also. Are you running a trunk? Trunks can create back pressure that can cause butteting on some bikes. I am running my stock screen the on the top two holes. Works for now, but then again I also have naked bikes so I am used to being in the slipstream.

There are many choices in screens for the 2011. Kawasaki has several, Twisted Throttle has a few. Ebay has a couple. I am looking for the one in my Avatar, but it seems that here in the US they won't tint the entire windscreen.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 AM

I got a Givi screen from twisted throttle this past week. It has been raining allot here so I have not really tried it on a long ride yet. But just the short ride I have done to test it, I have to say it is like night and day compared to the OEM screen. I am 6'1 and it took most of the buffering away, I can now ride with the face shield up and it have a little air on my face and the helmet not wanted to take my head off. If I tuck down a little behind the shield it is all quiet and I can hear the engine purr.

2012 Super Tenere On order
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
I got a Givi screen from twisted throttle this past week. It has been raining allot here so I have not really tried it on a long ride yet. But just the short ride I have done to test it, I have to say it is like night and day compared to the OEM screen. I am 6'1 and it took most of the buffering away, I can now ride with the face shield up and it have a little air on my face and the helmet not wanted to take my head off. If I tuck down a little behind the shield it is all quiet and I can hear the engine purr.
martin, at your height.... do you look through the windsheild or is it below eye level? This is one of the major factors that i am nervous about, i dont want the edge of the windsheild to be right in my line of sight.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:42 AM

I look over the shield, it comes up to the bottom of my helmet, maybe a little higher. I don't like looking through shields either. They always distort a little even though they are suppose to be optically correct.

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 AM

I love the Givi on my 2010 (and AFAIK the 2011 is identical)

See http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&postcount=22

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 AM

lol i am still getting used to forum lingo

it took me a good hot minute to figure out that AFAIK wasnt a brand of another shield

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 AM

I tried stock, Givi, Givi with MRA laminar lip, in the end I went with the stock shield drastically cut down...as if no shield. The best for me. All of the other options produce turbulence(although less wind volume). I am 6'2" with a 34"inseam.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 AM

I think windshields are a highly subjective matter, kind of like 'is the stock seat comfortable?' For some it is!

I've tried the OEM and the GIVI on my 2011, and both are excellent choices if you'd like to lose the hearing in both your ears. But that's just my experience- others find them to work great.

I've ended up with the large shield from CalSci and have found that to be the most effective....for me.

You may have to buy three or four to find one that works, then let the others sit in the garage or sell for about 30% of what you paid. lol
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
I think windshields are a highly subjective matter, kind of like 'is the stock seat comfortable?' For some it is!

I've tried the OEM and the GIVI on my 2011, and both are excellent choices if you'd like to lose the hearing in both your ears. But that's just my experience- others find them to work great.

I've ended up with the large shield from CalSci and have found that to be the most effective....for me.

You may have to buy three or four to find one that works, then let the others sit in the garage or sell for about 30% of what you paid. lol
Umm. Maybe you should be wearing some ear protection. Then you won't have to worry about harming your hearing. I really don't mean to be rude here but it sounds like some of you guys should have bought cruisers with the big windscreens or a goldwing or Concours. Seriously, you shouldn't feel your head being pushed back when riding a bike with no wind protection at all. Either poor helmet fit/choice or very week neck muscles.

Oh and if you have a screen you are willing to sell for 30% of what you paid please send me a PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM

I have an vario with the spoiler on order should be here tomorrow for my 2011. I can report on the effectiveness of it after installed. I've have my fingers crossed that this is the screen that will work for me.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Already wearing hearing protection. Wind noise/turbulence on the Versys sucks, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Umm. Maybe you should be wearing some ear protection. Then you won't have to worry about harming your hearing. I really don't mean to be rude here but it sounds like some of you guys should have bought cruisers with the big windscreens or a goldwing or Concours. Seriously, you shouldn't feel your head being pushed back when riding a bike with no wind protection at all. Either poor helmet fit/choice or very week neck muscles.

Oh and if you have a screen you are willing to sell for 30% of what you paid please send me a PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Look at the Puig funky and effective
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Just thought I would update with my experience sans-windscreen.

SO MUCH QUIETER!

With the windscreen completely removed on my 2011 Versys there was no turbulence or buffeting, which made for a considerably quieter ride. I guess the screen, in its highest position, was creating lots of turbulence around my head, making for a very loud, uncomfortable ride.

Going to go back to the lowest setting next to see how quiet that is compared to no screen.

P.S. No windscreen was great, but definitely a little chilly in the morning.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm 6'2" and moving to the Versys from a Ninja 250 I cannot complain about the OEM screen. I have it at its lowest position and it seems to work. Have not tried the other two positions yet. In any event I always wear ear plugs...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Am complaining now :-(

A few more rides and the noise is just too much. The Ninja 250 ride was significantly quieter. At 6'2" I do not fill the wind is throwing me about as much as it did on the Ninja but the noise levels are markedly higher. I always wear ear plugs and would really like to resolve this before losing my hearing...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&White View Post
A few more rides and the noise is just too much. The Ninja 250 ride was significantly quieter. At 6'2" I do not fill the wind is throwing me about as much as it did on the Ninja but the noise levels are markedly higher. I always wear ear plugs and would really like to resolve this before losing my hearing...
I am 6'1 and have the givi shield. It stopped a lot of the buffering but I still get some. I am able to ride with the shield up on my helmet up till 45 mph. At 65+ my helmet is still stays still without buffering in clear air. If you get behind a truck or car I do get buffering again.

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM

At 5'11', I have kept the stock screen in its original position. When I got my new Arai TourX (those helmets just suit this style of bike, don't they ?), I was expecting a lot more buffeting and noise (and yes, been an earplug wearer for years). I did get a bit more noise, but TBH, I can't complain about anything else. I guess only approaching three digit speeds does it get the tiniest bit 'wobbly'.

I also found that when I had my 12GS, everybody wanted their shield to be set as upright as possible. The dealer even had it set that way when I picked it up. I found that that was the worst position to have it in as all it did was act like a barn door and the turbulence just spilled off it causing severe buffeting. I eventually had mine set to its lowest but one position so that the air flowed off it rather than tumbling off it. That cured the horrible head shakes, quietened everything down and was such a nicer way to have it. But trying to convince the GSer's to try it for themselves was not easy as for some reason, they thought it wasn't 'adventurous' enough looking.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I love the Givi on my 2010 (and AFAIK the 2011 is identical)

See http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&postcount=22
Ordered the Givi D410 for my 2011 the other day.
Looking forward to see how it does compared to the OEM screen
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteTrail View Post
Ordered the Givi D410 for my 2011 the other day.
Looking forward to see how it does compared to the OEM screen
Cool! Let us know what you think of it (and how tall you are).

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode