08 versys vs 011 versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
08 versys vs 011 versys

I have a 08 and was wondering what you v owners think about getting a new 011 v.Is it worth the money to trade or just keep my 08 would the 011 be a smoother running machine with less vibes or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM

I rode a 2011 and also my 2009 which I bought slightly used.

Yes...it rides a bit smoother due to rubber engine mounts... and quieter..no fairing buzz.
It looks a bit better.

The engine performance was the same. We all want more in a new version..so why would you even consider switching for a few minor improvements?

I could not justify paying the extra when there are so many used Versys' for around $4500.

Personally, I would look at that Triumph Tiger or KTM SupermotoT version. More power and higher quality.

"If you compare Motorcycling to Skydiving: -Your riding ability is your main parachute and your protective gear is your reserve -but riding is much more convenient and gets more women." -Matt
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redversysman View Post
I have a 08 and was wondering what you v owners think about getting a new 011 v.Is it worth the money to trade or just keep my 08 would the 011 be a smoother running machine with less vibes or not.
I had an 08 that I put 7k on and traded for a Yamaha Road* I sold the Road* and bought an 11 Versys, I just missed the fun factor. If I kept the 08 I wouldn't trade for an 11. There are little changes but not enough to warrant $3K difference. If you haven't done it yet put a 44T rear sprocket and a Vario windshield on it, much cheaper than a new bike.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I recently had to choose between a leftover '09 and an '11. I would have had to travel to get the '09 and the dealer wasn't participating in the Kawi demo $. At my local dealer I was able to get an '11 for $1750 off MSRP which was only $500 more than what I would have paid for an '09 leftover by the time I traveled to get it.

Bikes are an emotional thing. They are a luxury item. Get what puts a smile on your face. Bikes are not economical when compared to an economy car, but they are so much more fun.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Bikes are not economical when compared to an economy car, but they are so much more fun.
Hey, you can't compare them to cars.
No comparison at all.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Hey, you can't compare them to cars.
No comparison at all.
As long as someone doesn't try to say that a bike is economical, I will refrain from comparing them to cars.

BTW, I don't personally own a car. If the weather is just too nasty to ride I have to ask my wife if I can borrow her car or truck. Yes she has two vehicles. One to tow her horses around with.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
At my local dealer I was able to get an '11 for $1750 off MSRP
Whoa! So that's what, $5950? That sounds like a killer deal. Around here, I haven't seen them below $7K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
As long as someone doesn't try to say that a bike is economical, I will refrain from comparing them to cars.
MY versys is economical. Rather than driving a rather decent 30+mpg pontiac vibe to work everyday 60 miles total there and back. I ride my versys which gets 50+mpg. Also, now my wife doesn't have to pay to ride public trans everyday (which is NOT cheaper btw) and she can go take the car or ride her bicycle on sunny days.

So I benefit in a couple ways:
fuel cost
safety of wife (since we live in the ghettos of philly)
better quality of life

We would either have to have 2 cars or she would have to continue to take public trans which us rednecks from GA are not too familiar with. I would much rather her take the car than pay $5 each day to ride in a dangerous bus and have to walk home from her stop.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redversysman View Post
would the 011 be a smoother running machine with less vibes or not.
From everything I've heard by people who rode the pre and post rubber mount: No.

Spend 5% of what you were going to spend on the new '11 in stead on rubber mounted risers and a throttle body sync. That will take care of any vibrations that might be bothering you.
And keep it above 5k rpm, that is also an important factor.

The rest of the money that you don't spend on the new bike can now go to gas, tires, track days, rider training and accessories.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
So I benefit in a couple ways:
fuel cost
safety of wife (since we live in the ghettos of philly)
better quality of life
OK, but what about the downsides? Your commuting on a bike decreases your own safety. You're more likely to be seriously injured while riding, which puts your income and quality of life in jeopardy. Not to mention maintenance costs on a bike are typically higher than on economy cars since wear and tear items such as brakes, tires, chains, tuneups are needed more frequently.

All in all, a bike may still be the right solution for you, but I just wanted to make sure we've got both ends of the story covered.

It also depends on where you live and how crazy the traffic is. From personal experience, I live in Chicago suburbs and commuted to work in downtown (about 30 miles each way) for about a week last summer while my car was waiting for parts. It was not a pleasant experience and I felt a lot more vulnerable during my commute. Not to mention arriving to work smelling of sweat after a bumper-to-bumper commute. No thanks.

Last edited by Pete_; 05-18-2011 at 12:32 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM

i'll make it short, as to not derail this threads initial intentions

but we live in the ghetto of Philadelphia. We are from Georgia where everyone has 2-3 autos and 2-3 acres of land. So for me, the motorcycle is necessary for me to stay sane. I take the back roads to work when i can and I have the potential to get around any traffic jams if I choose to.

good arguement/debate but for a different thread

1997 KLR 650

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM

my mindset when buying the '11 rather then any previous models was:
  • do you like the look of the old Versys - no
  • in 5 years if you want the newer Versys, will you wish you had gotten a newer one to trade in (better resale value) - yes
  • did the warranty mean alot to you? - yes

1997 KLR 650

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_ View Post
Whoa! So that's what, $5950? That sounds like a killer deal. Around here, I haven't seen them below $7K.
$1000 off came directly from Kawasaki. $250 off advertised on Kawasaki.com $500 off from doing the ticket to ride demo. $250 off from having a winning ticket to ride game piece. The other $750 off is from the dealer who knows I will spend that much on accessories within the first 6 months of ownership.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 PM

thats too good of a deal... do it

1997 KLR 650

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
do it
He did.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
He did.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I am debating on whether to trade my 2008 versys for a 2011 versys or 2011 BMW r1200r. I have been one of the unfortunate people who has had the "stuttering" and "jerking" described by others on the forum at low speeds and also consistent at 4200 rpm no matter which gear. Two dealers who consulted with Kawasaki tech support and $800 later the bike is the same. I am a 54 Yo female who loves carving the mountainous twisties pretty aggressive, so I want to be sure I can handle the bike capably. Can any of you very experienced riders offer thoughts on my current bike problems and also the delimma on which bike would best suit my needs? Thanks
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikelady View Post
I am debating on whether to trade my 2008 versys for a 2011 versys or 2011 BMW r1200r. I have been one of the unfortunate people who has had the "stuttering" and "jerking" described by others on the forum at low speeds and also consistent at 4200 rpm no matter which gear. Two dealers who consulted with Kawasaki tech support and $800 later the bike is the same. I am a 54 Yo female who loves carving the mountainous twisties pretty aggressive, so I want to be sure I can handle the bike capably. Can any of you very experienced riders offer thoughts on my current bike problems and also the delimma on which bike would best suit my needs? Thanks
The jerkiness, I believe, is due to the Lean mapping on the ECU at low RPM. I had that too on the 2011 model but it wasn't as obvious as the 2009 model. I then changed my air filter to DNA air filter and the jerkiness is virtually gone, unless you are really in the wrong gear. I won't consider myself an experienced rider, but that's what I did and what I found out. The V is still considered ok for jerkiness compared to the KTM SMT, which my friend is having fits when stuck in low speed traffic. But it's not as smooth as my Carbie Ninja 250r at slow speed.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode