Top Box vs Looks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Top Box vs Looks

Hi,

I've got a 2009 Versys which I use everyday to comute to work and back. I've got a top box on it, which is very practical and I do need the storage space, but it fir me it makes the bike look much less sporty. One of the things I like very muck about the V is its looks, but the box is kind of spoiling that for me.

Is there someone who share my sentiments?

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 195.JPG (198.6 KB, 629 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 AM

+1 on that, in my opinion! Although I think the trunk you've got on the back looks pretty good on the Versys.

I have struggled with luggage choices also- looks vs functionality, hard bags vs soft bags, etc., etc. I like the look of the Givi V35 side bags, but prefer top loaders, so I have some aluminum panniers on order from Happy Trails...well that just blew the 'sporty' look of the Versys all to heck!

Add the gargantuan CalSci windshield....oh well, it's still fun to ride, just might not look as cool!

I've had top trunks on other bikes, and for me the usefulness far outweighed the lack of 'cool'.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Hmmmmm, practicality and sporty looks.

I think the Versys can get away with the panniers and keep its sporty looks, but a top box, no, not on any bike does a top box look sporty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kawasaki-Versys-Touring-Bikes.jpg (142.8 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg versy_2010_31.jpg (123.6 KB, 334 views)

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I like the top cases compared to side cases. But to carry and still be sporty. i go this route.

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Any add-on luggage trades looks for practicality. Hard bags like the V35's preserve more of that sporty look than a top case, in my view, but sometimes you need to carry stuff. One advantage of a top case alone is it keeps your bike narrow.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roehann View Post
Hi,

Is there someone who share my sentiments?

R
+1 I like soft luggage and take the big bag off as soon as I can.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Thats why I use a rucksack was thinking of a sports rack but did not like the either
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:07 AM

It's a Versys. You're going to get looks no matter what's bolted to it.

IBA # 49372
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Personally I'm partial to the look (and carrying capacity) of my Vs with soft saddle bags only, and add a tail-bag if I'm heading out for an extended period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03711.jpg (1,019.0 KB, 320 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Get a top box that has a quick release mount so you can pull it off when you don't need it and "NEED" to look cool(er).

Having the top box to drop a few groceries in increases rather dramatically the amount I can ride the bike instead of taking the car. Sure, soft bags and saddle bags work for groceries but I also want the security, albeit a bit on the minimal side, when I lock my helmet, gloves, etc. up.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM

I got mine with the oem side cases and to be honest, I do not like the look of it without them. I do not believe it distracts from the sporty looks and add a lot of the touring look I was looking for. I recently added a top box (Givi e450). At first I though the box was massive but when I took a second look It complements well the V35's. The look is no longer that of a sport bike. It looks more like a tourer. However, the praticality more tham make up for the aesthetics and my wife really like the back rest.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysbill Send a message via Yahoo to versysbill
I just picked up one of those Giant Loop Great Basin bags and cant wait to test it out. i think for now it is a great solution as it is compatible with most any bike, less weight and a better distribution of that weight - the only thing is security being that I cant lock it down like aluminum panniers or something.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

So that 51L of storage combined with my 29L top case from Shad (which has a quick release so i can retain a more sporty look if needed), should be some sufficient traveling capacity!

Will get pictures after it arrives packed with gear on my bike with the top case also

------------------------------------------------------

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 Green
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Limited Edition
2002 Honda S2000

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:41 AM

I don't mind the look of just a top case on a bike. My Givi V46 top case was the first thing I bought for it. If I could have chosen just 1 farkle, then the top case would be it. It makes the bike so much more practical for me. I use it every day. It means not riding with a backpack, like I did on my Ninja. With just a top case, it's still narrow enough that I can ride up the side of the driveway to get the bike in and out of the garage.

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Personally I'm partial to the look (and carrying capacity) of my Vs with soft saddle bags only, and add a tail-bag if I'm heading out for an extended period.
Ed,

That's a GREAT photograph. I envy you.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM

I've got a Givi e460 top case on mine. I really don't like the look of it, but the practicality wins hands down. Plus, with the added admorelighting led strips in it, the safety aspect goes up with the extra brake lights and signals. Those two things make it a permanent part of the bike for me.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Personally I don't like the look of top luggage. I had all three on my V-Strom and no doubt they are handy but the strom didn't look sporty with or without them so it didn't matter. I like the cleaner look of the V so I mounted a small tailbag on the pillion seat to carry small stuff like gloves, lunch for work, etc. Works for me. If I know I'll need to carry something bigger I use a backpack.

2013 Versys1000
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
I've got a Givi e460 top case on mine. I really don't like the look of it, but the practicality wins hands down. Plus, with the added admorelighting led strips in it, the safety aspect goes up with the extra brake lights and signals. Those two things make it a permanent part of the bike for me.
+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysbill View Post
I just picked up one of those Giant Loop Great Basin bags and cant wait to test it out. i think for now it is a great solution as it is compatible with most any bike, less weight and a better distribution of that weight - the only thing is security being that I cant lock it down like aluminum panniers or something.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

So that 51L of storage combined with my 29L top case from Shad (which has a quick release so i can retain a more sporty look if needed), should be some sufficient traveling capacity!

Will get pictures after it arrives packed with gear on my bike with the top case also
I liked it until I saw the price. $440 for a funny looking duffle bag Not that the Givi stuff is reasonable priced either. That bag has to be better than sliced bread.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Personally, its my ride and I don't care what anyone else thinks about the way my bike looks. Its only gotta work for me.

The only people who "might" pay much attention to your bike is other bikers. Most non riders think there are two kinds of bikes.... Harleys and Crotch Rockets.. That's it... They could care less if you have bags or what kind.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Yes. The top box makes it look lame. But I never take mine off. I love having it. Its a trade off that doesn't bother me. I eel the V is fugly anyways! Looks unique.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode