Best fog prevention tip? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best fog prevention tip?

Got stuck in a heavy thunderstorm on the way home from work and had to pull over due to my visor fogging up. I've ridden in rain showers before and never had a big problem but this was my first time in a downpour. Any advice on how to prevent the visor from fogging up? I could have kept going if I could see...

FYI, helmet is an HJC Joe Rocket with the factory, clear shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfaller View Post
Got stuck in a heavy thunderstorm on the way home from work and had to pull over due to my visor fogging up. I've ridden in rain showers before and never had a big problem but this was my first time in a downpour. Any advice on how to prevent the visor from fogging up? I could have kept going if I could see...

FYI, helmet is an HJC Joe Rocket with the factory, clear shield.
Try reading a bit from them (webbikeworld)

Search around they have a few review about anti-fog treatment

LOP
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Been wearing eyeglasses for years so I've tried everything. The best method I've found (partly because of it's side effect-a clean shield) is to wash your face plate, inside and out, with liquid dish soap or if you're in a gas station or restaurant, with liquid hand soap. What you are doing is washing the impurities off. It is this crap that the moisture sticks to. You will find that it may fog briefly on exhalation but quickly clear up. Easy, free.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 AM

This might be good for an emergency situation.

i dont know if this will work, but it works for googles when free diving. Your saliva is actually a decent anti fog! I know its kinda gross but seriously, EVERY diver i have met uses spit rather than some off the shelf antifog potion.

What we do with goggle is just spit on them and rub it in, you can wipe off the excess spit if you want lol .

btw... i am being serious, it works

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Been wearing eyeglasses for years so I've tried everything. The best method I've found (partly because of it's side effect-a clean shield) is to wash your face plate, inside and out, with liquid dish soap or if you're in a gas station or restaurant, with liquid hand soap. What you are doing is washing the impurities off. It is this crap that the moisture sticks to. You will find that it may fog briefly on exhalation but quickly clear up. Easy, free.
I actually washed my sheild before leaving work with the handsoap in the bathroom. I think it was just raining too damn hard and any level headed motorcyclist would've pulled over too.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 AM

A respro "foggy" in your bag or pocket for just such an instance during inclement weather and for winter works great.

http://www.respro.com/products/racin...ng/foggy_mask/

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
This might be good for an emergency situation.

i dont know if this will work, but it works for googles when free diving. Your saliva is actually a decent anti fog! I know its kinda gross but seriously, EVERY diver i have met uses spit rather than some off the shelf antifog potion.

What we do with goggle is just spit on them and rub it in, you can wipe off the excess spit if you want lol .

btw... i am being serious, it works
yea but youre supposed to rinse it out after you rub the spit in!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:17 PM

For visors, Pinlock is IMHO the only thing that really helps. For eyeglasses, keeping the visor open just a little when riding slowly will help.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM
njd

I always seem to get caught out in downpours. Best bet for me is cracking the visor open just enough to get some airflow. Sometimes I just stick an ear plug between the visor and the helmet to keep it cracked open.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 PM

i never ride with out applying anti fog treatment every few uses of the helmet - especially in cold weather. My experience has been anti fog visors really are not anti fog.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineout View Post
yea but youre supposed to rinse it out after you rub the spit in!
i figured the rain would take care of that

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Two things that work. Cat Crap and Johnsons Baby Shampoo. I use cat crap in my helmet, ski goggles and glasses. I always carry one tub in my tank bag. Been using the baby shampoo for more then 25 years in my dive mask. Have not use it in my helmet visor yet. Saliva does work, I've been using the spit technique since I learned how to snorkel more than 30 years ago. However, It does not last long and have to reapply frequently. Saliva works so well that in PR we call the anti fog liquid used in dive masks "plastic spit". No one knows the actual name.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM

+1 on Pinlock.

If a clear pinlock shield is available for your helmet it is a great way to go. There is also a kit you can buy to add pins to your current visor in order to use a pinlock insert. I've been using one for a while now with very little to no fogging. No licking, spraying, rubbing, washing etc. just put in the insert and forget about it.

Also if a breath box is available for your helmet it may help. It will be more effective in cold weather than wet weather.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
I always seem to get caught out in downpours. Best bet for me is cracking the visor open just enough to get some airflow. Sometimes I just stick an ear plug between the visor and the helmet to keep it cracked open.
MUST be really uncomfortable - turning your head enough to get your earplug into that opening...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode