Bad things happen when you try a new route tired... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bad things happen when you try a new route tired...

So I decided to take a detour on the way home from work, and, to my tired, addled mind, thought VT 17 would be a nice, scenic way back. I heard it was really twisty, but I never figured it was that twisty....

Long story short, took a curve too fast, braked and throttled down, but still went off the side. managed to slow but dumped the bike at 5miles an hour or so. Right cowling cracked, windshield abraded, mirror scratched and luggage rack twisted. That'll teach me to corner aggressively tired and laden with gear.

On a side note, anyone know where to get an OEM right cowling for less than $160 ish? Bikebandit's price, I should probably check with my dealer but i bet it will be more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3588.jpg (762.9 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3589.jpg (940.0 KB, 278 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM

The good news is that you're OK, and yes, do take it easy on any first ride down a new road. Here's more good news: a cowling for your right side in blue for $55 shipped.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Glad your ok bud!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks Miguelito, but it has some minor damage. I kinda want a new part to match the rest of the bike, as this was a is '09 (2kish miles!). I'll hunt around on e-bay and see if anyone else here is selling a part. I could always get that one and repaint it (plan to paint my V35 side case accent panels, even more so now that the right side is 'sanded' by the ground )

thanks to mcampana too! any crash you can walk(and ride!) away from is a good one

Last edited by ZerothLaw; 05-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to add: now that the bike is down, it's time to farkle! Thinking about a Givi topcase, with or without LED's, and new mirrors, probably integrated ones with LED's, just a question of wiring. Then there's a radiator guard, gravel guard, hugger...oh my...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Ronayers.com has a brand new cowling for $145. They are always cheaper than bike bandit. Where in vt are you. I'm just outside of Stowe.
-
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Berlin, just outside Montpelier. I work in Essex Jct.Just ordered that cowling from ronayers. even with shipping it's cheaper than bikebandit. awesome . Hopefully it won't take too long, but the weather forecast is bleak for the next week at least. Ride in my cage and plan my farkling I guess
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Thumbs up

Might want to try ProCaliber.com for cheap oem parts?
They usually have the lowest prices!

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
vp7

Check these guys out, I am not sure if there are any taxes for your state but the price is not too bad.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/41030

Glad you're ok and that the damage wasn't worse. I dumped my bike at low speed a couple times but each time the handlebar guards and the givi cases saved it from serious damage.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:58 PM

Glad your okay, and the bike came away with mostly cosmetic damage. Have fun farkleing

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
As stated the bike can be fixed people are not always so easy to repair. Glad your okay.

I do the same thing on nice days, try to find the longest ride home. Found a pretty good one the other day....nice long sweeping curves along the CT river. I'm getting cautious in my old age, I go slow in the tight curves but I don't care because I still enjoy the ride...

Last edited by offcamber; 05-15-2011 at 07:58 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
As stated the bike can be fixed people are always so easy to repair. Glad your okay.

I do the same thing on nice days, try to find the longest ride home. Found a pretty good one the other day....nice long sweeping curves along the CT river. I'm getting cautious in my old age, I go slow in the tight curves but I don't care because I still enjoy the ride...
I was wearing full gear, fieldshear summer jacket and rain pants, boots and of course my Shoei RF1100 helmet. Only came out of it with minor bruising, mainly my wallet on my thigh. It's not gonna stay there anymore :P. I think it's mainly a factor of my young age that I ride aggressively. Good life lesson to look before you leap .

I should take pics of the road, or make a GoPro vid of it. It's seriously winding
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 AM

It's the App Gap, I think someone already has a bunch of ride pictures for it. I went through there in the car a couple of weeks ago and the frost heaves ( and some snow ) was still there. May be a bit before I venture up through there on the bike....

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM

That looks like my left cowling after I tried to ride through wet grass and ruts with my stock tires.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorvtguy View Post
It's the App Gap, I think someone already has a bunch of ride pictures for it. I went through there in the car a couple of weeks ago and the frost heaves ( and some snow ) was still there. May be a bit before I venture up through there on the bike....
hey there, good now I have a name for it . No snow when I went, a few frost heaves (Now that I think about it there was a patch of snow on the side, right before the highest point).

on a side note, does your V have black square hardbags with red trim? I saw a blue V a week ago in the 5 Corners jct.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Just an update, figured i'd use this instead of a new thread:

Bent the Givi sideracks back into serviceable shape, though the connector bar is not where it used to be (in the little round gap right under the tail light, but a little down, maybe 1/8"). Plan on installing a toprack, so that might correct for the PLX447KIT 'ears' being bent somehow.

Put the OEM windshield on, but the instrument panel is offset to the left (accident damage was from the right-front), but the headlight looks centered. Hard to tell, since the ignition keyswitch throws my sense of symmetry off. Plan to use a friend's garage to set up the beam and torque the panel/windshield bracket to the right a bit, while keeping the beam centered.

Surprised that the panel bracket was even damaged, the cowling mounting point is cracked at that point, so the force should ahve been distributed into it. I'm guessing when my Givi windscreen mushed in, it torqued the panel around. Will update on Sunday when I have the chance to work on it in more work-conducive surroundings. Wish the V had a centerstand!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Good to hear you are getting it back in shape, I am avoiding the Gap this year after running it with the car, too many cracks/bumps to make it any fun. If you need a garage to do light work in, let me know. I've got a decent garage with all the tools you would ever need.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks, outdoorvt! I'm bringing it in to a friend's garage this Sunday, weather permitting. He's also likewise kitted out with tools. But I'll keep you in mind

Found out my handlebar's a little bent (just loose on the mount I think, don't think forks are twisted). Caused me to lean forward with the left hand, making the bike likewise lean at an angle, going straight. Probably have to get the whole bike centered then check wheel to fork, fork to handlebar, then headlight subframe to the rest of the bike's centerline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode