5000 miles on original tires and time to change - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
5000 miles on original tires and time to change

I've had this Versys (09) for about a year now have logged right at 5000 miles on the original tires. If think this is ok considering I've run the Hill country several times in addition to riding the "Dragon" about 3 days. Lots of wear there.

Anyway, I"ve decide to put the Avon Distanzas"s on it and ordered them today. They are suppose to be 90% on road and 10% off road and that's what I'm looking for. Mileage is suppose to be excellent too. I'm going to Colorado in about a week to ride with my son that lives in Denver. One of the reasons for the dual purpose tires is to ride Phantom Canyon road that comes out of the back side of Cripple Creek down to the Royal Gorge area. I did it once in a large Chevy station wagon back in the mid '70's and it took me about 8 hrs and about 10 years off my life.

I've always wanted to go back on a motorcycle and now at 66 it's time. Kinda working through my "bucket list". I'll write a report on how the tires handled in case anyone wants to know.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM

8500 on mine and still some
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Sounds like a great adventure! Please post some pics when you get some.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:00 AM

i've still got the OEM tires on my '09 and i've got a 2 inch flat band around the center. friends tell me it's from accelerating hard and a lot of upright interstate riding. I also tend to engine brake. I've been told that if the flat part becomes too broad it can cause loss of traction on cornering. Does this factor into the life of the tire? or do I need to corner more to shrink that flat spot.

mileage is about 2k-2.5k on mine (not at the bike so I can;t be sure).

On topic, those distanzias seem good, saw them featured elsewhere.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 AM

I've got 4700 miles on my Dunlop Sportmax d221. They have also gone flat in the centre despite lots of backroad rides. Never had a tire wear so quickly . My DL1000 VStrom would go 8-9000 on a rear tire and that had 40bhp more than the Versys and weighed a lot more
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Don, If you have the time before you leave, could you snap a couple of photos of the Distanzas mounted?

Thanks

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM

this is my second Versys. the first one had 4200 miles and tires could of been replaced now on my second 09 Versys 6,800 miles on d221 tires. I just purchased the bike at 6200 and the tires were on still. I was a little like wow. easy rider.

Ive had Distanzia on my DRZ400sm before and LOVED them. great right out of the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I've had this Versys (09) for about a year now have logged right at 5000 miles on the original tires. If think this is ok considering I've run the Hill country several times in addition to riding the "Dragon" about 3 days. Lots of wear there.

Anyway, I"ve decide to put the Avon Distanzas"s on it and ordered them today. They are suppose to be 90% on road and 10% off road and that's what I'm looking for. Mileage is suppose to be excellent too.

>snip
Some like 'em, some don't. Mileage is NOT their strong suit. The front is a supermoto tire, the rear in 160/60 is as well unless you go to the 150/70 which has a dualsport compound which is recommended. The SM version has been known to wear out in 1200-1500 miles. They are a very soft compound, said to grip well as long as it doesn't get too hot. Can be slippery in wet.

Definitely not a long distance touring tire. Can be so-so in dirt, certainly better than a full on road tire.

Very similar to the Pirelli MT60.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks CJBROWN info on the mileage. I was led to believe they were good on mileage so I'm going to have to see about getting something other than a soft compound. I'm looking for a dual sport, good mileage tire. The 150/70 sounds good.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Forum member Tenover just put them on his, you could PM him and ask how he likes them. I'm not sure which combo he got.

The front end of these bikes stays pretty light so wear is reported to be 4-6K with distanzia and MT60's. Some have gone thru a couple of rears and then switch because it gets stupid expensive. They are expensive tires anyway, compared to other brands.

Consider the Pirelli Sync or Trail. I went with the latter and they are very good. Better on street than the stocks, decent on dirt roads. I don't ride in the rain so can't report there. The sync came on the ealier multistrada, the trail on the current models. They are said to grip just as well as a distanzia offroad and better on road. Wear is much better, 5-6K miles. You may get better wear since your stock lasted a long time. Mine were replaced at 3K due to a punctured rear. Front had a lot of tread left.

You might read thru the tire threads, lots of info there.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 AM

MT60 front, Anakee 2 rear. The Anakee is NOT stock size, but fits well. We just switched so I don't really have a gauge for mileage, but it should be pretty good.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
MT60 front, Anakee 2 rear. The Anakee is NOT stock size, but fits well. We just switched so I don't really have a gauge for mileage, but it should be pretty good.
Based on my research this should be an outstanding combination.
The 150/70 rear is fine, went that way myself with Scorpion Trails. 2 weeks later they came out with the 160/60.
I really like them though, excellen on road, do-able off.

Any pics of your bike setup?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Based on my research this should be an outstanding combination.
The 150/70 rear is fine, went that way myself with Scorpion Trails. 2 weeks later they came out with the 160/60.
I really like them though, excellen on road, do-able off.

Any pics of your bike setup?
Yeah, I did ALOT of reading! It should be a pretty solid setup. Going to try some off roading memorial day weekend. I'll grab some action shots then. We (it's my gf's bike) were going for a nice 70/30 (street/dirt) mix and so far this seemed like the best option. I'm hoping the Anakee 2 has the ability to get some good mileage. I was thinking about the Scorps but the Anakee 2 had a little bigger tread groves for grabbing dirt.

it's a DS machinge now! Hard Panniers, crash bars, skid plate, dirtbike bars, heated grips, and cig lighter. All we need are bark busters and different pegs.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Well I bit the bullet and had two Avon Distanza's put on yesterday. I'll have to see what kind of mileage I get but I plan on riding some fire roads in Colorado and I think this will do the trick. One think I noticed immediately was that the turn-in into curves and turns seemed quicker and I felt more confidence that the front end wouldn't go our from under me.

I rode the Dragon with the stock Bridgestone tires and was impressed with their ability to hold on, but I think these Avons will do better. I'll know as I go. Here's a few pictures of the Avons.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode