Colorado? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Colorado?

I'm planning on going to Colorado, and that's about all the planning I'm going to do. Going through Nebraska from NW Iowa to get there, and after that I'm going into the mountains. No plan. Any suggestions on places to wander to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I'm planning on going to Colorado, and that's about all the planning I'm going to do. Going through Nebraska from NW Iowa to get there, and after that I'm going into the mountains. No plan. Any suggestions on places to wander to?
You need to go to South Park which is about 60 miles west of Denver and take in the view as you come over Kenosho Pass. South Park is a "valley" with an elevation of 10,000 feet and surrounded by mountains that exceed 14,000 feet. The "valley" is about 40 miles wide and if you cross it East to West you end up in Buena Vista. Head North to Leadville and take in the scenery. I could go on and on, but that's a good place to start.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM

And as long as you are going from Buena Vista towards Leadville, you should come over Independence Pass and drop down into Aspen. I'll buy lunch!

From here it's down to Carbondale, take a left and go down by Redstone, Marble, over McClure pass to Paonia. You could then go towards Gunnison and see the Black Canyon or go a little north to Crested Butte. From there, I'd go back south and go to Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Durango and that area......What do you want to see? Peaks, snow, lakes, desert, awesome twisty two lane roads, blue ski, beautiful women, and generally happy people? I don't understand why you'd want to visit here..........

Oh, and how much time do you have?

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
And as long as you are going from Buena Vista towards Leadville, you should come over Independence Pass and drop down into Aspen. I'll buy lunch!

From here it's down to Carbondale, take a left and go down by Redstone, Marble, over McClure pass to Paonia. You could then go towards Gunnison and see the Black Canyon or go a little north to Crested Butte. From there, I'd go back south and go to Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Durango and that area......What do you want to see? Peaks, snow, lakes, desert, awesome twisty two lane roads, blue ski, beautiful women, and generally happy people? I don't understand why you'd want to visit here..........

Oh, and how much time do you have?
That's a good one. Again how much time do you have. If you have several days you can go back and forth east west over the divide at several points. If you do not have a lot of time there many rides on the front range going north south.

BTW is you come right now you will find several feet of snow. We just got hammered with a winter strom... in May

A friend from Spain told me that in a travel tv show they called CO the state of the four seasons. They mean that you can experience all four seasons in a single day. I laugh and told her that the TV show was correct and that everytime you go up the mountains, specially in spring and fall you have to pack for all seasons.

Last edited by Boricua; 05-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Look at a map, when you see lots of squigly lines, go there and go fast. Depends on the time of year. There's still a lot of snow in the mtns. June/July?aug is better. Do you want street or dirt? fast sweepers or more technical stuff?

Here are some good paved roads:

550 "million dollar hwy" is a must ride between Durango and Silverton
34 from Estes Park to Grand Lake is beautiful although can be pretty trafficy on weekends. It's the highest paved road in North America.
40 Kremmling ot Steamboat
126 Pine Junction to Deckers if you like 100mph+ sweepers
149 through lake City
92 south of crawford
160 South Fork to Pagosa Springs is nice
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I'll have 3 days out there, no dirt, will be out there in early July.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Rik

I just recently moved back to florida from colorado springs. Been doing the "two state shuffle" for many, many years. I've ridden a moto in all 50 states (yes, including alaska and hawaii) and one of the greatest roads on this continent is hwy 67 north from Woodland Park up to Deckers, Buffalo Creek, then pine, and evergreen (Denver area) going north or south it never ever disappoints . In my humble opinion, one of the best kept secrets out there, except of course to the local road burners and canyon carvers . ENJOY!!!!!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
July is a good month. Weather is good and the passes should be all open. 550 is an excellent road to ride, problem with many of the scenic mountain roads is traffic. 550 Is one of the most scenic drives in North America and is a little too popular during the summer tourism season. Bear in mind from Denver to Durango, the start of 550 is a ten hour ride.

Last year I did a loop. Denver, Grand Junction, Durango, Paonia, Aspen, Buena Vista, back to Denver in three and a half days. About 1,300 miles mostly mountain roads. Worth taking slow to enjoy the scenery. Here's the link to the slideshow: http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...view=slideshow

What do you want to do while in CO? Do you want just ride and not stop for a side hiking trip. Do you want to take it slow and enjoy the scenery? Do you want to ride hard and fast? Here's a link to the Colorado Scenic byways: http://www.coloradodot.info/travel/scenic-byways

Last edited by Boricua; 05-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Momma & I have been going to Colorado almost every summer on streetbikes, dualsports and in cages.......beautiful state. Can't go wrong in any region.
I agree with all the post above and may I add Hwy 14 going west out of Fort Collins thru Poudre Canyon.
If you need anything for your bike, swing by MotoAdventures Kawasaki right off I-25 in Loveland. Bruce Dalton owns the place and is a true enthusiast.
Dan
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Rik

oh yeah....colorado springs up the ute pass to divide wind up to cripple creek back down the other side on Teller 1 to Florrisant west to wilkerson pass north to cottonwood canyon. so many GREAT roads out there...I'm getting a little home sick thinking about them!!!!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Another option from Crested Butte is to head toward Lake City and over Spring Pass and eventually through Creed. If you have time head through Wolf creek Pass to Pagosa Springs. From there you can head back through New Mexico/Chama/Alamosa/Poncha Pass/Salida, then either to Pueblo or back toward Denver. You could also do a loop from Pagosa Spgs. through Durango back over the pass through Silverton/Ouray then back toward Salida/Buena Vista. Like some one said above, follow any of the squiggly lines on the map, and you won't go wrong. Colorado is one of the most beautiful places to ride in the summer months that you will find anywhere. The only downside will be the RVs and tourists you'll have no trouble passing on your ride.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
oh yeah....colorado springs up the ute pass to divide wind up to cripple creek back down the other side on Teller 1 to Florrisant west to wilkerson pass north to cottonwood canyon. so many GREAT roads out there...I'm getting a little home sick thinking about them!!!!
Missing the mountains is hard specially if you live in FL (FlatLand) USA.

I'm local to CO. Let me know what you final route is. Maybe we can meet for a beer somewhere. CO is the craft brew capital of the US and also the largest producer of beer.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
As in the 4th of July? Huge tourist time, but lots of local fireworks shows (as long as it's not too dry).

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Dry in the Mountains this year? I saw the news this morning and I saw you shoveling snow up there in Aspen

It's bone dry in the front range (until today ) I do not think we are going to see too many fireworks this year. However, the mountains are bracing for record floods. We had record snow pack this year. Loveland had a 110" base in late April and that was on the dry side of the divide.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Yep, I'm ready to go "postal" on someone already! All day yesterday and all morning today, SNOW!

I am almost ready to look for studded tire options for the V!

2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
550 is an excellent road to ride. Bear in mind from Denver to Durango, the start of 550 is a ten hour ride.
You either stop a lot, travel at a reduced speed, or, take many, many pictures. Denver to Durango is 340 miles of some pretty fine roads. Well under 10 hours without much strain.

You could always start on the north end of 550 (Montrose) and travel south.

Also consider:

92 north, west of Gunnison which goes through the Black Canyon of Gunnison Nat'l Park, fantastic road with fantastic scenery.

65 north, east of Delta which goes over the Grand Mesa mountains. Tons of curves, many many lakes and views you won't believe.

Have fun and ride safe.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 PM

I will also be spending some time in Colorado this year. June 30 to July 5 to be exact. It's a great state to ride in. Do go up Mt. Evans. You can climb a 14'er and it only takes about 5 minutes.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 PM

If you're coming out I-80, stop in Ft. Collins and take CO route 14 west up the Poudre River Canyon and back. Beautiful scenery and twisties. A fun one day ride. Lots of decent restaurants and a great brew pub in town.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Denver to Durango via I25 south to 160 west is 374 miles non stop and about 7 hrs. But I would never send anyone through that route. I25 is just painfull. I do I70 to glenwood springs then south over mcclure pass to paonia then 92 around the black canyon connecting to 550 then south over silverton to durango. Thats about 10 hours 8 of them, pure riding joy. Then back north through telluride then 141 north (this one is absolutely awesome. True 100 mph sweepers with no traffic in sight) to grand junction and back east through I70. That would be a good two, three day ride with time to enjoy the scenery and the sites.

Yes the picture factor, really slows me down. Photography is the only thing I do that takes more of my free time than riding. Thanks to digital photography.is now cheaper. No longer need the darkroom.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys for all of the reminders of great rides I've taken and will do again this summer. I've lived in the Colorado Springs and Florence Colorado since 1965 and have owned a bike since 1969. All I can say is in all those years of riding Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah I still have many rides that I haven't gotten to yet. Three days is not nearly enough time to see a fraction of it. I suggest you keep picking the brains of those who live here and then decide what part of Colorado you want to experience. Stay away from the tourist destinations, ZGfiredude, Boricua and myself could probably steer you to some very fine rides and still avoid too much traffic. Heck if you plan it right ZG knows Aspen and North, Boricua know central and I'm, in the southern region. Salida, Arkansas River Canon, Westcliffe, Cripple Creek. Damn I think I'll take a Wetmore, Westcliffe, Texas Creek,and Canon City run tomorrow, I need to break in my new 2011 Versys with 170 miles on it. Stay in touch.
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode