Seat comfort - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seat comfort

I went for a 240 mile solo trip the other day up to Prescott and back. The trip was terrific and the Versys handled terrifically...but my butt started to give out on me around mile 200. I want to do long distance trips. Do I just need to build up to it or is there another solution - a better, more comfortable seat? The Corbin seat? Another option? Is long distance comfort in a seat a pretty universal idea or am I going to have to try soft seats and hard seats like trying out a freakin' mattress?

THANKS!

LittleRider

"Ad augusta per angusta" ... "To great places by way of narrow roads"

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered" -- G.K. Chesterson

Check out my personal blog at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LittleRider; 05-09-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM

there are literally dozens of things you can do with the seat
  1. diy modification
  2. spencer mod
  3. baldwin seat
  4. corbin seat
  5. bmw 1150 seat
  6. just throw a sheepskin over it

a quick search will bring up a couple of threads for each of these options, it is a very common mod.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM

So many threads on that here. My solution: Russell day-long saddle. I've had the Baldwin and the Russell. With the Baldwin I could go an hour or two. With the Russell, I can literally go all-day (and did just that during an 11 hour ride a few weeks back ... stops for fuel and food of course).

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
So many threads on that here. My solution: Russell day-long saddle. I've had the Baldwin and the Russell. With the Baldwin I could go an hour or two. With the Russell, I can literally go all-day (and did just that during an 11 hour ride a few weeks back ... stops for fuel and food of course).
Do you have a pic of your bike with the Russel seat?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
seat mod

i've had my seat "spencerized" for a total cost of about $130.00 including s&h. i'm completely happy with it. long rides are no longer a problem.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM

What is spencerized? Do you have any pictures of your seat? For my being 6'1 it is not long enough for me. If it was 1" taller and 1" farther back to the hump it would be perfect I think.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Spencer modifies your existing seat to your specifications, and then recovers the seat with the original cover.

I had my seat 'Spencerized' a few weeks ago (about $140 with shipping). I'm very satisfied with the results. Just yesterday I rode 4 hours which, before the modification, would have had my buns screaming. But now, I could have easily rode another 4 hours without complaint. (And it's also a godsend not slamming into the tank when I break!)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Do you have a pic of your bike with the Russel seat?
I don't think I have any pictures of it mounted, but I did take some comparison pictures here, and there are pictures of other bikes with the Russell in that thread.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Based on the numerous postings on this forum regarding the V's seat...I expected to need a replacement when I bought the bike. So far...the Alaskan Sheepskin that I used on my BMW has made the stock seat quite acceptable. My intention is to continue with the stock seat and sheepskin pad conbination.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Based on the numerous postings on this forum regarding the V's seat...I expected to need a replacement when I bought the bike. So far...the Alaskan Sheepskin that I used on my BMW has made the stock seat quite acceptable. My intention is to continue with the stock seat and sheepskin pad conbination.

I been meaning to try one of those....nice to know its worked for someone.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM

I regularly ride 8-10 hour days on my Versys. I tried the Alaskan sheepskin and found it almost useless for those long days. I upgraded to a Corbin and it improved my comfort by a factor of X2. That said, I just ordered Airhawk seat cushions in the hope that they'll make day-long riding even more comfortable.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM

I had my seat modified by Spencer. Sent it from Atlanta to his place in Florida on 4/25/11. Had it back by 5/2. I only did the drivers seat as I don't take passengers. Total cost with shipping was $75 for the 'long distance' mod plus $11 roundtrip shipping. I rode 90 minutes yesterday in complete comfort. Could have gone a lot longer. Seat looks exactly stock.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
I regularly ride 8-10 hour days on my Versys. I tried the Alaskan sheepskin and found it almost useless for those long days. I upgraded to a Corbin and it improved my comfort by a factor of X2. That said, I just ordered Airhawk seat cushions in the hope that they'll make day-long riding even more comfortable.
I've used an airhawk on three different bikes, a klr 650 a yamaha roadstar and a versys, without fail the airhawk has changed torturous rides into a pleasure. It cushions, molds and most importantly, to me, keeps the heat away from your "TENDEREST" part of your anatomy. Just don't overinflate it. I use just enough air to barely keep me off of the seat. With all the riding you do I'm sure you will love it.
Nick
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM
DR_

I didn't have any problems with the seat until I lowered the pegs and got risers on the handlebars. This naturally puts me in the middle of the seat instead of the front of the seat. Maybe I am so used to sitting in the front of the seat from my DRZ and now the Versys that my butt isn't trained to the new location. Anyway now I am thinking about seat mods, with the Airhawk or Spencer mod at the top of my list because of their price.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm not a big fan of seat pads, although maybe I should limit my comments to gel pads as I haven't tried an airhawk. I found the gel pad would squirm around just enough that it messed up my sense of control in the corners. I now use a Baldwin and a sheepskin and the combo is very good for me.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM

I have the Kawi lowered seat on my 2007 V. Combined with the Alaska Sheepskin seat cover I have done some comfortable, consecutive 10 hour days on the Versys.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM

My seat is stock other than raising the front mounting point as others have done. It used to give me a lot of trouble on longer rides but not so much any more. Did a week long ride to Colorado last fall. Longest day was around 800 miles, Taos to Tulsa. I was tired but my butt was ok. John.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmann1 View Post
My seat is stock other than raising the front mounting point as others have done. It used to give me a lot of trouble on longer rides but not so much any more. Did a week long ride to Colorado last fall. Longest day was around 800 miles, Taos to Tulsa. I was tired but my butt was ok. John.
I've done 11 hour days w/ JUST the front raised 9/16", and no problems, but got a "Spencer Mod" now and it's great(er)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 PM

sissy's

You just need to toughen up your arse.

Hahah

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM

+1 with the Alaskan sheepskin pad. I've used one a few bikes and it sure does help. I also plan on shimming the front of the seat to give a little relief. It's a low budget compromise but it should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode