Givi V46 - Shaking Issue? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi V46 - Shaking Issue?

I have a Givi v46 mounted on my 2009 with the SW Motech hardware.

Long story short...its shakes! It's not going anywhere (aka falling off) but its constantly bouncing around a bit to the point where I hear it moving around even at low speeds.

I put locktite on every bolt and made sure everything is tight a secure. Even when stopped I can kind of lean the case around in different directions.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this just normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM

To clarify (because you mentioned locktite)... Is it the case on the givi plate that is loose or the givi plate bolted to your rear rack that is loose? If it is the case, just use some foan under it (between the Givi plat and the case) to dampen the loose case... Maybe you are missing the rubber grommets that help support the case when attached... I have 4 of them that some keep falling off when I remove my topcase from the Givi plate...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 05-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

It's the case that is loose.

I have the rubber pieces in place. It seems to me like there is just room to move around the two mounting pieces and the buckle that holds it down from the rear.

Just seems like it shouldn't move as much as it does.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM

I've got mine mounted on a givi rack. It doesn't shake, but I've welded the rack twice now to reinforce it where it has broken.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Garage
I have mine on a Givi rack, and when I try and move the case around on the rack the bike moves more than the case moves on the rack?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM

I have a givi case mounted on sw motech top rack and it's rock solid.

Maybe you should inspect your mounting plate very closely and also the bottom of the case for cracks.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Anyone else have this issue? Is this just normal?
Mine wiggles a little up front as well. Not really enough to bother me. If you look closely, it looks as if the two "knobs" if you will up front that you slide the case onto and they hook the bottom are slightly too tall. The rear buckle is tight and of no concern.

At some point, I plan on pulling off the two knobs on the front and removing a bit of material from the bottom surfaces of them and reinstall. I feel like they would then properly hold the case down tighter. Don't remove too much or you wont be able to get the case on at all without adding washers back under them. I placed a bit of an old T-Shirt between the case and the plate to add a little pressure to the case. Working fine for me.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 PM

I have the same setup - OE (SW-Motech) rack with Givi plate and V46 bag.

It's solid, there is no movement between the bag, plate or rack.

Gustavo

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 PM

I have the same Givi V46 top case mounted on the Givi hardware. Mine doesn't budge, it's solid.

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM

What Capn Kirk said - i have the same set up - mine wiggles too. It is the knobs that are to tall.
It used to bother me, but after 1000's of miles, and being over loaded (+40lbs) plenty of times. I have come to the conclusion it isn't going anywhere.
I would prefer it didn't wiggle.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM

I am using a E50 and it doesn't move around. Perhaps manufacturing tolerance on the fittings were on the loose side.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 PM

Mine is loose now too. It used to be completely solid.

It looks like the mounting plate is starting to give where the 2 front tabs slide in. As far as I can tell.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 PM

I took my "knobs" off the Givi mount and filed them down making them shorter. I took my time and took off .030" at a time. I had to remove .090" total off of each before the trunk slid in snug (Yours will vary). The Givi trunk has a very good fit now. Easy 30 minute job. Just go slow when removing material and try it a few times. If you remove too much, then you must shim with washers.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrappieKiller View Post
What Capn Kirk said - i have the same set up - mine wiggles too. It is the knobs that are to tall.
It used to bother me, but after 1000's of miles, and being over loaded (+40lbs) plenty of times. I have come to the conclusion it isn't going anywhere.
I would prefer it didn't wiggle.
They are both correct. Now I have a V46 mounted on a Givi rack on my Versys, and it is solid, however, I have a E55 mounted on the SW Motech hardware on my Concours, and it wiggled up front a lot! The mounting pins in the front that TT sent me were way too tall. Working with them through emails, they finally sent me the correct mounting pins which are much shorter in length. Although it didn't fix the issue 100% (as these too are a bit tall), it did fix the issue 95%, and I'm happy with that.

I don't know if you got yours from Twisted Throttle or not, but you may want to send them an email and see if they will send you the shorter pins.

Texas

2010 Kawasaki Versys
Givi Shield, Givi PLX V35 Side Cases, Givi V46 Top Case, Powered Tank Bag, Corbin Seat, RAM Mounts, Venhill SS Smoke Brake Lines, HID 5000K/3000K, LED Marker Lights

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Loaded

"There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from." - The endearing Forrest Gump
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 PM

With my other bike I used the SW-moto mount that used the pins and it always wobbled. On this bike I got the actual Givi rack and it does not use the pins and it is solid on the back.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode