Cool Versys story - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool Versys story

I went to buy oil at JP Superbikes in Port Charlotte, Florida today. It's a small shop with a big heart. The owner told me a story about last summer when he went to Deals Gap N.C. to run the dragon on his Yamaha FZ1. Seems he was moving pretty fast trying to overtake a bike in front of him...would almost catch him in the straights and lose him in the curves..almost catch him in the straights and lose him in the curves...this little scenario continued until he got to the top of the mountain. Finally the bike he could not catch pulled over and he did as well. Lo and behold the bike he just could not pass "chasing the dragon" turned out to be none other than a Kawasaki Versys.
How 'bout that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 PM

The other day I came up on a couple of guys on sport bikes. I donít know what they were but judging by the size of their rear tires they were probably pretty big. The guys are all decked out in full racing leathers, spectacularly painted FF helmets and looked suitable for the cover a bike magazine... and there I am with a big old windshield, luggage, a 3/4 helmet and wearing jeans.

I see them spot me in their mirrors and as we hit the straight they both get on it Ė HARD! I rolled it on a little bit but didnít even attempt to stay with them and they pulled away from me so fast that they were probably 1/8 mile ahead of me when they got to the next turn. By the time they were exiting the turn I was about 20 feet behind them

We did this several times... and then we hit a long series of essíes. What a hoot! These guys have their asses hanging off the seats and knees out... but theyíve only got the bikes about halfway into the usable lean angle! Iím sitting square in the saddle, not even dropping a shoulder and running 10 feet behind them...

Finally I decided to end it and I passed them one by one in the middle of the corners... by the time I exited the last corner they were nowhere to be seen.

I think I ruined their whole day... and they didnít even know that I was probably 2 or 3 times their age.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I think I ruined their whole day... and they didnít even know that I was probably 2 or 3 times their age.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 AM

Part of the reason why I love the upright riding style..I feel that I have more 'control' of the bike. It's a lot taller than my honda cruiser, but it also feels more stable. Feels like I can do more with it than I could leaning forward or back (sport/cruiser style)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:17 AM

Good stories, both of them.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I think there is a few of us here have been there and brought that t shirt on our mighty V, even on a track there is nothing like going around the outside of a corner passing a R1 only to have him snot past you down the back straight.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 05-06-2011 at 07:57 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Got to love it!

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
to the VERSYS.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Garage
This is such a cool thread !!!

Yeah !

LOP
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
I think there is a few of us here have been there and brought that t shirt on our mighty V, even on a track there is nothing like going around the outside of a corner passing a R1 only to have him snot past you down the back straight.
I'm not trying to hate, and I LOVE my V, but there is no way a V can out corner a newer RR sportbike, mostly when on a track. I DO believe a good rider on a V can out ride a crappy rider on a sportbike anyday I did it last weekend before I hit the dirt roads! But if I'm going to the track (Miller Motorsport Parkway) I'm gonna take the R6 not the V. IMHO

-Ming
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM

: thumb:

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
I'm not trying to hate, and I LOVE my V, but there is no way a V can out corner a newer RR sportbike, mostly when on a track. I DO believe a good rider on a V can out ride a crappy rider on a sportbike anyday I did it last weekend before I hit the dirt roads! But if I'm going to the track (Miller Motorsport Parkway) I'm gonna take the R6 not the V. IMHO

-Ming
No argument from me but some of those guys on super bikes I went around could not do corners but knew how to go fast in a straight line. I know a good rider will take me out corners and straight but sometime when your on the little horse you need some balls or like me just having a mid life crisis.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM

I've had a couple of instances on the dragon where ya smoke up on (leathered up) saddle jockeys on crotch rockets, and it freaks them out, they pull over and let you by.
And me, all loaded with full rally & camping gear, on about my 800th mile for the day.

But boy were their outfits purdy.

Then there was the time I followed 2 super low slung Indians going 2 mph around the corners and gunning it in the straightaways, I couldn't get by them for 11 miles

So I just went back and did it all again Twice

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)

Last edited by Toddzilla; 05-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 PM

A couple of weeks ago my son and I were riding the Dragon and on one run going from Tennessee down to the N. Carolina side we came up on what I thought was a KLR (possibly a KTM) and he flat knew how to ride. We finally caught him on a short straight and got around him. A lot of times, it's not the bike but the rider that makes the difference.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post

-Ming
That's the thing; Many RR sportbike riders have no clue how to wring great performance out of them, usually due to lack of riding/cornering experience.

Recently I went on a ride with two young guys, one on a GSX-R 1000 and the other on a Bandit 1200, me on my Versys with barn door windshield and top case (does not get much more dorky).
I was leading because I had the day's route in my GPS. Every time the roads got curvy I completely lost them. They caught up again on the straights. ...And because I slowed down for them now and then.

It is the rider, not only the bike.
When riders are equally skilled, the sport bikes should be able to beat the Versys.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM

It is much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.........
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:46 PM

The V is no slouch in the corners. I do miss the 600 for balls out straight acceleration.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipexed View Post
The V is no slouch in the corners. I do miss the 600 for balls out straight acceleration.

Cool photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode