My first flat tire at 75mph - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My first flat tire at 75mph

Well, my bike turns 1 next week and I've only been riding since I bought it last year. I thought for sure that my training in the MSF course regarding a flat wasn't going to be used for a long time...boy was I wrong!

Left downtown yesterday and the bike felt every so slightly different. I couldn't pinpoint it though so I headed to the freeway. When I started to lean into the on ramp, I knew something wasn't quite right...but again, I couldn't quite pinpoint it.

About a mile down the road, I developed a slight wobble. I didn't like that at all and my alert was up looking for a good spot to get over, then wham! Went from a slight wobble to extremely hard to control wobble as I started to decel from 75 mph. Flashers went on, covered the clutch, no brakes...down shifting slowly and I managed to muscle it over to the side of the freeway.

I get off and the rear tire is completely flat. Here I am stuck on the side of I5 in rush hour traffic. Thank goodness for my ROK membership! I got free towing home (shop was gonna be closed).

All in all, it could have been A LOT worse and I'm thankful I'm ok. That is something I do not want to experience again. I think I should have caught on that something more was going on when I first left, but I think my inexperience showed me up on that one.

I got home with the tow truck and got it in my garage and inspect the rear tire. There is a pea sized puncture just slightly left of center. Tire's a goner.

I only had 3700 miles on the stockers and wasn't planning on getting new tires for a while. But, it is what it is right. I just got back from the shop having purchased a set of Pilot Road 2's based on the reviews I've read and advice from the shop and a buddy of mine. I have to wait a week though to be able to tow it in again, only 1 tow allowed in 7 days per my ROK membership.

Additionally, my dad (35 year riding experience) told me last night he wanted to pay for a TPMS for me. So, I'll be having the shop install my Doran 360M system when it arrives

I can't wait to get back on the bike...the gas prices in my truck are killing me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Have you heard of a product called Ride-on? Might have saved you that particular flat tire. Glad you were able to deal with it without incident.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I got a flat after having the Versys (and riding) only a couple of months. We were going more like 60 though. We got towed to great expense.

Now we carry a flat kit and air pump every where we go (oh, and have AAA). After getting towed home, we tried out the flat kit just to get to the repair shop. It held no problem and it gave us the confidence we'd be able to fix a flat out on the road.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Glad your OK. Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope I never have to try it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Why is the tire a goner? You can't plug it?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM

Glad you kept it shiny side up. I lost my RD400 at 60mph and wasn't as lucky as you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Thats a nice looking TPMS. I have a different type but they are handy to have.

IMG_0020 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0022 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0021 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
glad you were okay and it is good in hindsight to have that learning experience under your belt.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Those using monitoring systems, have you had any issues with the valve stems? Some folks are reporting valve stem failure on rubber valve stems. Many strongly recommend changing to metal valve stems. Apparently the extra weight of the valve cap combined with the high centrifugal forces of a wheel at high speed causes the rubber valves to bend over and ultimately fail.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Those using monitoring systems, have you had any issues with the valve stems? Some folks are reporting valve stem failure on rubber valve stems. Many strongly recommend changing to metal valve stems. Apparently the extra weight of the valve cap combined with the high centrifugal forces of a wheel at high speed causes the rubber valves to bend over and ultimately fail.
haven't had any issues but haven't rode the bike much since install was going to switch out the valve stems just in case.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
Quote:
The Doran kit (and mine has been ordered but hasn't arrived yet) comes with 2 sets of metal stems, one set of straight and one set of 90 degree ones. Their stems allow you to mount the transmitter/monitor inside the tire if desired but the stem fatigue is probably another reason they include them.

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTizz View Post
The Doran kit (and mine has been ordered but hasn't arrived yet) comes with 2 sets of metal stems, one set of straight and one set of 90 degree ones. Their stems allow you to mount the transmitter/monitor inside the tire if desired but the stem fatigue is probably another reason they include them.
Yup. That's why I went with the Doran. I'm having the shop put the metal stems on and mount the transmitters inside the tire. Looks like doing it this way makes it a lot easier to put air in as well. Doran actually has a warning about making sure to use metal stems in their user manual.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
DR_

I had a front tire blow out at triple digits. Let's just say I wasn't as lucky as you and it cost me a bike, a lot of gear, and medical deductibles

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
So if you mount the sensors inside the wheel you have to take the tire off to change the batteries??
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 AM

had mine pluged new bike with only 100miles on it now its got 8500mile and holding up
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Ride on is the best IMHO
I currently am using Amerseal from Napa.

Be sure to check your tires for screws and such though. The first tire I used it in was changed by my dealer and they found three sheet metal screws in it.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So if you mount the sensors inside the wheel you have to take the tire off to change the batteries??
Doran says the batteries have an "expected life" of 7 years and I believe the sensor batteries can't be replaced. New sensors need to be purchased when they die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
had mine pluged new bike with only 100miles on it now its got 8500mile and holding up
After looking at where the puncture is (and how big it is) I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable just plugging it and keep riding it. The puncture is about 1 1/2" to 2" from the left edge of the rear tire putting it in the zone that I've read is not advisable to plug. The puncture is bigger than the size of a 16d nail. I was able to slip one in no problem and even wiggle it a little.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick update. I bought a Dynaplug kit and tried it out yesterday in hopes of getting it plugged enough to make it to the shop. It took all 4 plugs it came with for it to seal the hole, but it does look like it's holding. I'm hoping not to have to call a tow truck again!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Interesting that you had to use multiple plugs. How does that even work? Cool that you can buy extra plugs for that kit though.

I got a big nail in mine (I think I have pictures somewhere) and just used one of my plugs (Stop & Go kit).
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Ya the Dynaplug kit comes with 4 plugs. Each plug is 3/16". The instructions say that one plug is sufficient for permanent repair. But if one doesn't do it, up to four can be inserted next to each other for a temporary fix. It tells you just to fold the ones already installed over and insert the new ones right next to them.

I could hear the air leaking out even with three. Once the fourth was in, it was silent. It's held the pressure since yesterday so I think it'll be ok for a short trip to the shop on side streets.

Now I just need the Doran to arrive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode