Outrageous dealer parts prices - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Outrageous dealer parts prices

I feel like I've been ripped off by my local Kawasaki dealer. I recently visited them to pick up some parts

- 2 small windshield bolts for an 08 Versys with the nuts, nylon washers and rubber grommets
- 4 small plastic rivets (the kind used to connect the plastic pieces of the fairing together)

total parts cost $54.00

When I complained the counter guy said that it did seem kind of high so he offered to take $10 off. When I found out their can of chain cleaner was $16 I put it back on the shelf.

Do these prices seem out of line? They are the only dealer in town now due to the recent closing of another local Kawasaki dealer so I am wondering if this has had an effect on their pricing.

Added note: I no longer feel guilty about importing my V from the US and buying all my gear online.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-04-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, that is ridiculous. I would have said "no thanks", left the parts on the counter and walked away without paying.
It might be that the parts have the standard Kawasaki prices, but I have found that dealer prices in general can tend towards the insane side.

Especially for hardware it is so easy to find alternatives in any hardware store.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM

I get a lot of my parts on RonAyers dot com. Prices are fair and service is good.

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Yes, that does seem a LITTLE too high and you are right about the other dealer closing probably having an effect on the pricing. Remember though that the reason the other dealer closed was because it wasn’t making any money and those prices on parts and service are what is keeping some dealers afloat in these hard times. Also you can get some of those parts from your local hardware store or order online from suppliers such as www.MacMaster.com
I believe (no proof) that many manufactures (not only motorcycles) have special fasteners made (when many ready made ones would do as well) for the sole purpose of allowing dealers to make money on those parts that otherwise could be bought cheaply off the shelf.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:03 PM

My dealer seems to sell parts for just a few dollars more than what cheapcycleparts.com lists them for.
I just got:
4 amber signal bulbs (they had 2 in stock, the other 2 are on order)
2 clear signal lenses
= ~ $80 which I think is reasonable

I ordered the other 2 signal lenses from cheapcycleparts on 4/28 and it still says "processing with warehouse" I am sure the parts from the dealer will arrive before the others, and that is probably worth the extra couple dollars.

(I have an 08 and in the process of switching over to the 09 signals)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM

I understand businesses need to make money and I do try to buy local, but when it comes to bike parts, I go to the dealer as a last resort. It is, more often than not, an out and out rip off.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Go to the local hardware store first. Whatever you can't find there then go to the dealer. Although, sometimes you can improvise if the hardware store doesn't have exactly what you're looking for.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Yes...way too high.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM

From that parts list I would never have thought to go to a dealer. Those prices are ridiculous. As was said above i would have left them on the counter.

I'm a big supporter of buying locally but this aint a charity, they need to earn my money.

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Also you can get some of those parts from your local hardware store or order online from suppliers such as www.MacMaster.com
Correction:

I buy from them quite often at work. They are not always cheapest but they sell damn near everything and always have my orders on the dock next day. Great supplier.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 01:38 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Local shop ripped me off one too many times.

IBA # 49372

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 AM

My local Dealer gives me 15%-20% right off the top, on just about everything. When possible he'll match internet pricing. Rather give him the business.....

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Garage
As far as I'm concern, my dealer is #1

He knows I shop around the net and when the price are outrageous, he tells me off the bat that I will get a much better price from the net
He's not pushing the sale, never
When I do buy from him, I also get a discount (somewhere from 10 to 20%), so he cuts is profit down a bit

On another note, I wanted to experiment on the "seat issue", and asked my dealer to give me a quote for a new seat, instead of giving me a quote, he told me to get a corbin that it would cost me less ... (btw he doesn't sell corbin)

On a personanl basis, I think that motorcycle parts and gear manufacturer are very greedy and I always try to get the stuff on sale, but that reduce my choice

LOP
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 PM

I haven't done a lot of comparison shopping on most of my parts, but there are a few instances where a dealer beat the hardware store. I needed some replacement screws for my Virago 250 controls, and figured Ace would be cheaper than Yamaha. When I couldn't find any to fit, I headed over to the dealer and discover that they're going to cost me $0.95 each instead of something like $1.50, and are the right length and color. Sold. Bike specific parts, though... A new brake pedal cost me $70+ and they wanted $150 each for chromed head covers. But the levers were pretty cheap, I guess.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM

The cost of motorcycle apparel is about ~50% less (even when including delivery costs) when ordering from US mail order sites compared to local Canadian dealer prices.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 PM

[quote=Motopsycho;
Local shop ripped me off one too many times.[/quote]

They will also give you 10% discount if you type in your AMA membership number.

I looked at Cheap Cycle Parts once, and their shipping and handling charges seemed kind of high. Always check this.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 AM

I don't really see how the dealer could "rip you off", unless they were holding a gun to your head.

Most ACE,ACO, and Tru-value hardware stores carry a full selection of SS hardware for pennies. (in metric sizes so you don't have to carry extra tools).
As for the plastic retainers for the fairing bits.....I replaced all mine with SS metric allen's ( some of the "notorious bike buzz" emanates from these lose fitting retainers).

Marine supply stores are another good source for stainless hardware.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-06-2011 at 08:57 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post

... Marine supply stores are another good source stainless hardware.
+1

lop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode