600 mile service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
600 mile service

I am at 725 miles now and I changed my oil & filter at 300 just because I am paranoid. I have been told that the 600 mile service is the most important and that you should let the dealer do it. But I am not about to pay $200 for an oil change if thats all they are going to do.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I just do my own service and document everything or take it to them for this one time 600 mile check up?

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 PM

I think it's just a $200 oil change and cable adjustment. There is no reason the valves need to be adjusted at only 600 miles. I think the valves are just an excuse to charge $200 instead of $30

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:46 AM

My V is booked in for its first service next week. I checked out how much it would cost leaving it into the (not so) local Kawasaki dealers (I didn't buy the bike from them as I got a much better deal in England) and was quoted 130, but no real info as to what they'd do. They didn't fill me full of confidence and 130 is a lot for basically an oil change.

I then asked my (more) local Honda dealer if they'd do the service as I've used them in the not so distant past and am comfortable with the knowledge that they have a very good senior mechanic. They quoted me 90. They also gave me a run down on all the checks that would be carried out and what I should expect from them. TBH, they just made me more confident in their care of my motorcycle.

Still, the main thing I need is that all important stamp in the service book telling Kawasaki that the bike has been dealer serviced and it honours its two year warranty (should something go wrong, and I know it's not essentially needed as long as genuine Kawasaki parts are used, but I don't like to give them a chance to get out of their obligations). After that period, I'm more than competent myself to keep the bike properly serviced (or as anyone who knows me says I'm the fussiest of fussy people) and have plenty of contacts should I need anything more difficult done.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

Last edited by Davy F; 05-04-2011 at 12:50 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 AM

Just had mine done and it was $220 AUD. Basically as everyone has said, it's an oil change and check everything. Mostly labour costs.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 AM

Yep, do it yourself and save the money... It won't affect your warranty...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

alright! great information...I am gonna check everything myself and shop around for the best service deal.

Saving that money will get me one step closer to the 44t, givi screen, lowering pegs, rear tail case.

1997 KLR 650

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
alright! great information...I am gonna check everything myself and shop around for the best service deal.

Saving that money will get me one step closer to the 44t, givi screen, lowering pegs, rear tail case.
Let me know how that Givi works, I'm going to try 2000 miles in 2 days with the factory screen, and not so sure about it. I just got a coocase I'll be putting in my build thread soon.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM

When you change your oil, get your filter at Walmart. Number ST7317. Less than $3.00 and works great. I've been using them on all my V's and have use Walmart filter's for years without any problems. I know others will start flaming me, but that's what this country is all about. So, that's what I choose. If it gives you a warm fuzzy to use a $15.00 + filter, by all means use it. Just not my choice.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

the local kawa dealer just flat out told me $200 like it was nothing and when i asked what they would do, he responded
  • oil and filter
  • lube and tighten chain
  • head bearings (lube)
  • tighten and adjustment of "everything"
  • top off all fluids

this sounds like it is %100 possibly of just doing that crap myself, other than lubing the head bearings everything sounds simple.

1997 KLR 650

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:42 AM

They might "change the oil & filter" but you have to check them. I marked the oil filter once when I had a dealer do it and when I went to pick it up, the same filter was still on it and we had some words. As far as checking things, don't beleive it unless you actually see them do it. Lube the head bearing? it doesn't have a lube fitting and you'd have to take the head apart to lube it. Never heard of them doing that.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

i think he meant steering stem bearing lubrication...

called 2 more shops all the same run around BS
Then I got this nice guy who runs a more low key kawasaki dealership about 20 miles away and he wanted $120. I felt like giving him the business just because he didnt try to feed me that crap like the others. But we will see, if I do go in for this service, it will be the only one until 15k when i need the valves checked.

1997 KLR 650

Last edited by BAMF; 05-05-2011 at 11:24 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
i think he meant steering stem bearing lubrication...
Head bearing is the same thing. They are supposed to check the torque, keyword supposed to.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 AM

Yeah, I'd just about bet money they don't do that most of the time.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Actually the 600 mile service just calls for checking the steering stem for play. Barring finding any play, re-torquing it would be silly and re-lubing it as a matter of routine would be lunacy (or thievery).

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:53 PM

I paid 58€ for first service (1000 km)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 AM

I paid mine for USD45, for oil and filter. Rock Oil Semi Synthetic 10W40 were used. They charged me an additional USD6.50 labor for changing the brake hoses to the stainless steel braided hose which I got off eBay. I didn't see them checking anything but I wasn't paying attention to them as I was browsing the store on accessories.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM

I asked my dealer how much for the first service He told me $190 I was like damm. I told him that will be the last time he sees the bike unless there is a warrenty issue with it. I will be doing all the oil changes myself.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode