3Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
15K mile service

My 08 now has a little over 15k miles. I know they say I should get a valve check/adjustment, is there anything else I should look into?
And how much should I expect to pay for this service? I dont plan on going to the dealer for it, I have a local shop that has always done good things for our bikes, but never a valve check. So just wondering what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 AM

The service manual lists all the service items for th 15K inspection. The valve inspection/adjustment is the most time consuming item (and therefore - expensive) on that list.

INSPECTION

Fuel System
Air cleaner element - clean
Throttle control system (play, smooth return, no drag) - inspect
Engine vacuum synchronization - inspect
Idle speed - inspect
Fuel leak (fuel hose and pipe) - inspect
Fuel hose and pipe damage - inspect
Fuel hose and pipe installation condition - inspect

Cooling System
Coolant level - inspect
Coolant leak (radiator hose and pipe) - inspect
Radiator hose damage - inspect
Radiator hose installation condition - inspect

Engine Top End
Air suction system damage - inspect
Valve clearance - inspect
Clutch operation (play, disengagement, engagement) - inspectWheels and
Tires
Tire air pressure - inspect
Wheel/tire damage - inspect
Tire tread wear, abnormal wear - inspect
Wheel bearing damage - inspect

Drive Train
Drive chain lubrication condition - inspect # Every 600 km (400 mile)
Drive chain slack - inspect # Every 1 000 km (600 mile)
Drive chain wear - inspect #
Drive chain guide wear - inspect

Brake System
Brake fluid leak (brake hose and pipe) - inspect
Brake hose and pipe damage - inspect
Brake hose and pipe installation condition - inspect
Brake operation (effectiveness, play, no drag) - inspect
Brake fluid level - inspect
Brake pad wear - inspect
Brake light switch operation - inspect

Suspensions
Front forks/rear shock absorber operation (damping and smooth stroke) - inspect
Front forks/rear shock absorber oil leak - inspect

Steering System
Steering play - inspect
Steering stem bearings - lubricate every 2 years

Electrical System
Lights and switches operation - inspect
Headlight aiming - inspect year
Sidestand switch operation - inspect year
Engine stop switch operation - inspect

Others
Chassis parts - lubricate year
Bolts and nuts tightness - inspect

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
The service manual lists all the service items for th 15K inspection. The valve inspection/adjustment is the most time consuming item (and therefore - expensive) on that list.

INSPECTION

Fuel System
Air cleaner element - clean
Throttle control system (play, smooth return, no drag) - inspect
Engine vacuum synchronization - inspect
Idle speed - inspect
Fuel leak (fuel hose and pipe) - inspect
Fuel hose and pipe damage - inspect
Fuel hose and pipe installation condition - inspect

Cooling System
Coolant level - inspect
Coolant leak (radiator hose and pipe) - inspect
Radiator hose damage - inspect
Radiator hose installation condition - inspect

Engine Top End
Air suction system damage - inspect

Gustavo
Strange... my manual for my 2010 states valve inspection to be done @ 42,000 kms (26,000 miles)....

Richard

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 05-04-2011 at 05:38 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 AM

Yes there is/was a conflict between the 2008 owners manual and service manual in the valve check interval.

Caused a bit of tension between me and my dealer when I took the bike in specifically for the 15K Owners Manual valve check and they didn't do it based on their service manual interval.

I was concerned with maintaining warranty status..........they eventually did the valve check but "reluctantly".

I had a thread started on it a while back, if you are not concerned with the possible warranty aspects if something were to ever go wrong I would go with the longer service interval.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2RON View Post
I had a thread started on it a while back, if you are not concerned with the possible warranty aspects if something were to ever go wrong I would go with the longer service interval.
If you are following the manual, why would you have warranty concerns?

The ninja 650R also has the check at 26,000 miles, and those that have more than 26,000 miles found maybe one or two that were nearing the end of the acceptable range.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM

There is no conflict, just people who don't pay attention to the fine print...

The service manual states:

US, CA Model Every 15000 mile
Other than US, CA Model Every 42000 km (26000 mile)

CA is Canadian model, not California as many people are used to reading that abbreviation.

There were a lot of question about that difference between the US and Canadian model valve inspection interval and the rest of the world. The only significant difference I found is that US and CA models have an open loop FI (they do not have an oxygen sensor) vs. the European market bikes that have a closed loop FI and can adjust the fueling based on the combustion products.

In reality, almost every Versys that was inspected at 15K miles had tight valves (mine had 4 that were at the bottom of the spec and 4 more that were close that that limit), so doing the inspection at 15K miles is really recommended even on Euro spec bikes. Some people say they would do it even sooner than that.

Given that there are no differences between the '07-'09 engines and the '10 and later ones, any differences in recommendations may be from a change in their policy, but not from mechanical differences. Don't skip the valve inspection at 15K.

Gustavo

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Gustavo's right, you should do it.
I just had mine checked at 13k (15k is in the riding season, plus I had new tires to get mounted). All 4 exhaust were tight, plus one intake. Also did the other 15k service stuff. Excluding the tire mount it came to $182.50 at CycleTune in Portland. (good shop!)
I did pull the body work which saved a bit on labor, but I did it so I could try to fix the reset on the dash. I'm gonna put it back together today.

Rob
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
There is no conflict, just people who don't pay attention to the fine print...

The service manual states:

US, CA Model Every 15000 mile
Other than US, CA Model Every 42000 km (26000 mile)

CA is Canadian model, not California as many people are used to reading that abbreviation.

Gustavo
My 2011 owners manual says 42,000 km (26,250 mile). Nothing about US, CA Model mentioned.

I will send an email to my contact at Kawasaki USA quality control and see what they say.

Regardless, if people who are checking at 15,000 are finding clearances out of spec I will probably end up checking them when I reach 15,000. I am glad my touring bike has hydraulic valves or I would be having to check them once a season.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info...sounds like I should get it checked soon just to be safe even though I dont have a warranty to worry about.

If the valves are off spec, would I be able to tell a difference in the way the bike is running/sounding?

Also, sometimes there is a gurgling sound that seems to be coming from the radiator/coolant when I pull into the garage after a short ride. Is this normal? I haven't checked for other threads on this yet, so forgive me if there is already info out there...

(I'm pretty new to motorcycle maintenance as this is the first bike I've had long enough to do more than an oil change on)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchustlr View Post
Also, sometimes there is a gurgling sound that seems to be coming from the radiator/coolant when I pull into the garage after a short ride. Is this normal? I haven't checked for other threads on this yet, so forgive me if there is already info out there...
I had this problem. I solved the problem by 1) removing the rock that was in my fan (although I did not notice if it was preventing the fan from running - it may very well have been), 2) changing the coolant and 3) cleaning the radiator cap. I doubt that changing the coolant was necessary. I did find quite a bit of aluminum "fines" on the radiator cap that needed to be cleaned off. Once I did that, I have had no problems with the "burbling" sound.

So, I would see if your fan comes on correctly, and if it does, try cleaning your radiator cap.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:54 PM

That is weird because I have 2015 Mod Versys and service manual says that Engine Vacuum Sync should be done on 7.600 miles.
Is that different for all years of Versys???

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
That is weird because I have 2015 Mod Versys and service manual says that Engine Vacuum Sync should be done on 7.600 miles.
Is that different for all years of Versys???
7,500 miles is correct for the throttle body vacuum synchronization at 1,300 rpm idle, and again at 15,000 miles, 22,500 miles, 30,000 miles, and so on...

Last edited by invader; 11-03-2016 at 01:32 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Let me first say I am a little paranoid about trusting anything to a shop; but have neither the skill or desire to do any deep work on my V. I have a shop very near by that sells Yamaha, Suzuki and Polaris. I had them do my chain/sprockets and tires with good results. Their sister shop (with which they seem to have a relationship in name only-did not even get the parts I needed from them) is a Kawasaki dealer but is 22 miles across town. Having read here about valves, shims, etc this sounds like a somewhat involved job. I am nearing 15K miles so can I trust a non Kawasaki dealer to do this and the other 15K work, or do I have to go across town to the Kawi dealer and then find a ride to and from the place? Please give your advice - especially you Invader.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Valve Clearance Check

I can't answer where to take it, $per hour may be a factor. I sure wouldn't be getting a Honda dealer to do it unless I spoke to the mechanic that is doing it, and be reassured he has done a Versys before multiple times!!
I have posted a answer to a almost identical question here;

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-question.html

also my updated pictures and the main thread you would want to use if you attempted this yourself,here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...djustment.html
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-03-2016 at 05:37 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Let me first say I am a little paranoid about trusting anything to a shop; but have neither the skill or desire to do any deep work on my V. I have a shop very near by that sells Yamaha, Suzuki and Polaris. I had them do my chain/sprockets and tires with good results. Their sister shop (with which they seem to have a relationship in name only-did not even get the parts I needed from them) is a Kawasaki dealer but is 22 miles across town. Having read here about valves, shims, etc this sounds like a somewhat involved job. I am nearing 15K miles so can I trust a non Kawasaki dealer to do this and the other 15K work, or do I have to go across town to the Kawi dealer and then find a ride to and from the place? Please give your advice - especially you Invader.
Yes, if anyone is allowed to adjust your valves, your preferred professional non-Kawasaki dealer is certainly more than qualified to do it... Just ask them. They probably have 7.48mm diameter shims in stock.

Which Yamaha/Suzuki/Polaris dealer are we talking about, just out of curiosity?
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by invader; 11-04-2016 at 01:05 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks guys. The shop is RideNow Powersports on Ina road in Tucson, AZ. Got any bike repair friends in the area Invader? If I get that lucky, I will also buy a lottery ticket tonight.
invader likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yes, if anyone is allowed to adjust your valves, your preferred professional non-Kawasaki dealer is certainly more than qualified to do it... Just ask them. They probably have 7.48mm diameter shims in stock.

Which Yamaha/Suzuki/Polaris dealer are we talking about, just out of curiosity?
I'm pretty sure that the ONLY time I bought shims, they were from a box of Yamaha shims.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode