Dealer service to maintain warranty? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dealer service to maintain warranty?

Picked up a new 09 versys and dealer told me I have to have dealer do the first scheduled service to maintain my warranty. Is this what you folks have found or is this not required. Certainly dont want to loose the warranty but can do most service myself. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM

No. Just document anything you do and save the receipts from the oil and filter to back it up.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1719 View Post
Picked up a new 09 versys and dealer told me I have to have dealer do the first scheduled service to maintain my warranty. Is this what you folks have found or is this not required. Certainly dont want to loose the warranty but can do most service myself. Thanks in advance!!
No, and if my dealer lied to me like that, he would lose a customer and quick! Unless you don't know what a ratchet and socket is, the first 600 mile service is one of the biggest rip-offs in all of motorcycling IMO. Most shops change the oil and filter, maybe adjust the chain, and walk around the bike with a couple of screwdrivers and a few wrenches to check various bolts and screws for tightness...then charge you $250+ for the pleasure.

As mentioned, just keep a log to document all the maintenance you do. I use the one in the back of the owner's manual. I write down everything I do to the bike--even tire changes, brakes, chains, etc. It's a good way to track your service intervals too.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM

so dealerships dont re torq all the bolts like the first service says?

engine mounts, head bearings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Some do, some do not. Some say they do but then the pimple faced kid in the back who does your bike forgets to do it.

If I recall correctly it is not legal in the US to require service at the dealership if there is a cost to the service.

Buy a decent torque wrench (~$50), download the service manual from the link in the sticky (free) and take 20 minutes to do the torque check yourself. Except for the internal engine stuff it is real easy to do.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
so dealerships dont re torq all the bolts like the first service says?

engine mounts, head bearings?
LOL.... you're a trusting soul.... I also got bad news about politicians, lawyers and real estate agents too...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 PM

In the US the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 normally disallow a warranty from "tie in" sales. This means that a warranty cannot be conditional to the purchase of another product or service. This has been succesfully upheld in court for motor vehicles warranties. You do not have to go to the dealership nor purchase Kawasaki branded supplies to maintain your warranty. A dealer stating this at the time of sale or when you take the vehicle for a warranty service can be in violation of federal law. You also do not need to keep detail records of anything since the dealer is obligatedby law to provide the service promised under the warranty. Dealers have an incentive to provided the warranty service since they get paid for it. The manufacturer normally pay market rates for service to keep the dealers service dept working. It is to the manufacturers advantage to maintain an adequate service network since that is an excellent marketing tool.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1719 View Post
If my dealer would have told me that, I would have said, "well then, include the first service in the deal".
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Read the warranty document.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM

Read the warranty documentation. Although that's the type of tie in explicitly forbidden by law, I would take the bike to an authorized service provider or as stated in MOM to an equally competent service provider. However, it will be the one of my choice and not that dealer.

There are a couple of very specific safety inspection items that kawi recommend in MOM be done by an authorized service provider. The rest is up to you.

Last edited by Boricua; 05-03-2011 at 10:53 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

I was at dealer today to have them turn front tire/rim around due to it being on backwards. They stated that tire/rim are on the bike right out of ther crate and they did not notice it was on backwards(neither did I at first). I questioned the dealer service to maintain waranty and was told that the service was free but I needed to pay for parts only. They stated the first service is very important and that is why they need to perform it to look for problems with loose fittings and adjustments. That's not a bad deal if they do the work they are supposed to. But like most of you guys say how can you tell. They have been good to me so far.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 PM

I'm just a few miles down the road from you. I'd be curious to know which dealer this is. If you don't want to say on the forum, PM me.

As Boricua noted, a dealer can be violating federal law by telling you that you MUST have them service the bike to maintain your warranty.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Does anyone know what the law is in Canada with regard to service being done by dealer to maintain warranty. I live in Calgary and both Kawi dealer quoted my $250 for the 1000km service.

I'm pretty confident that I could do the items listed in the owners manual but would hate to loose the warranty if I need it.

Brian
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 01:44 PM

I have never once in owning maybe 10 different new bikes taken them back in for the first scheduled service. I have also never once been questioned about doing the first service myself when I took the bikes in for any warranty service.

Here is one example of why I do it myself (and this is a reputable dealer).

When I had my bike on the rear stand I noticed that it was leaning to the right. I wondered why. Upon looking at everything I discovered that the spool attachment point on the swing arm had cracked and was spreading. I immediately took it off the lift. I count myself as lucky that I was able to get it down before it fell. A few days latter I could not get my key in the ignition. I tried everything, soaking with different oils, using pin, compressed air, you name it, without success so I called my local dealer where I bought the bike to come get it. They were quick to respond with a truck and 2 teenage boys. (Mistake one) The problem was that the bike was locked with the wheel turned and they had not brought any type of dolly so I had to make one from a set of wheels I had so that the bike could be rolled onto their truck. The shop could not get the key to work either so they ordered 2 new lock set (give credit to them for not trying to just replace the ignition switch only and forcing me to use two keys) and installed it. They also removed and welded the swing arm. I picked the bike up after about a week and drove it home. Upon examination I noticed that the rear shock was on backwards such that the rebound adjuster was now on the inside rather than on the outside. In that position there is no way to see what your settings are so back to the dealer with the bike. They were very apologetic and assured me that they would have the mechanic check the service manual and make sure it was installed correctly this time. The next day I went back to pick up the bike and the first thing I see is that the rebound adjuster is now on the outside where it belongs…BUT the shock is on upside down. I never said a word as I was tired of asking a neighbor to continually take me back to the dealer to pick up my bike; I just drove it home that way, removed and re-installed the shock properly myself. I would bet almost anything that the one of the two pimply faced teenagers were assigned to putting the shock on both times. They probably are not stupid kids, just young no experience, trying to do what appears to be a simple task but without any prior training and making minimum wage. Sorry, but I do not want that type of person working on my bike…especially at a rate of $84.00 an hour, so with the exception of value adjustments, etc., I do all my own maintenance. I do not attempt things I know I am not qualified for (a man must know his limitations) but I am meticulous about doing the things I know how to do correctly.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM

I have a way of documenting my service but had a question about it.

I made an excell spreadsheet and made it a google document. What that means is that it is saved "online" so you can pull it up on anything that has computer access. I did this so I could take a picture of the reciept or better yet take a picture of the filter, old filter, and oil container and paste it into the document. This way I do not have to keep up with reciepts, which I would almost certainly not remember to do.

Do you see any problems with this?

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode