Defector but still a fan - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Aleeoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Defector but still a fan

After thoroughly enjoying Versys ownership for a year and a 3,000 mile trip to Yellowstone and Glacier park last summer, along with this fine forum and it's members, I sold my 2008 Versys last Friday. I had decided to give the Versys a try after owning a 650 V-Strom which didn't quite fit my needs. I have always preferred light weight motorcycles and have owned a 2008 Suzuki DR650 since new (I'm on my 3rd one), but It just didn't seem to have the power I wanted. I did the research and then installed a longer duration cam, higher compression piston, pumper carb and better exhaust system which resulted in the power I wanted. Being a life long off road rider, the DR is a very good fit. I ride a KTM 200EXC off road. I've tried and owned several bikes and the Versys is one of the best, as was the V-Strom. I would highly recommend either one to someone who isn't an off road psycho such as me. I just can't get away from the desire for light weight being an ex motocross racer. I intend to keep an eye on this fine forum for those "Hike With Mike" rides and stay in touch. Thanks to everyone for the information and advice so far. Of course, I will have to come back for general information such as GPS info etc. Once again thanks to all and I'll see you on the forum and hopefully on a few rides too if this Seattle area winter ever ends. I have thrown my hat in the ring for the ride on Saturday, May 7th with Mike and crew. I have attached a few pictures of the new mistress. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DR650 andle view project complete.jpg (1.01 MB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DR650 September 08 Side View.jpg (738.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DR650 Rear angle view-project complete.jpg (1,018.6 KB, 135 views)
Aleeoop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St-Eustache, QC
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
... I did the research and then installed a longer duration cam, higher compression piston, pumper carb and better exhaust system which resulted in the power I wanted...
Wish I had your technical skills!

and have fun off-roading!
burnedstar is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Member
 
Bicyclebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would that be your bike on CL?

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
Bicyclebob is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You sneaker! Is that a GSXR exhaust can I spy!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
zgfiredude is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Aleeoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what "CL" is so it's probably not my bike on CL.
Aleeoop is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Aleeoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes,
That is a 2001-2002 GSXR exhaust can on my DR650. Sharp eye!
Aleeoop is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Member
 
mchieffallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sad to see you go. Enjoy the DR !!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
mchieffallo is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Pismocycleguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question CL = Craig's List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
I'm not sure what "CL" is so it's probably not my bike on CL.
I believe that CL is short for Craig's List, the on-line selling site.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pismocycleguy is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Pismocycleguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Wheel Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
After thoroughly enjoying Versys ownership for a year and a 3,000 mile trip to Yellowstone and Glacier park last summer, along with this fine forum and it's members, I sold my 2008 Versys last Friday. I had decided to give the Versys a try after owning a 650 V-Strom which didn't quite fit my needs. I have always preferred light weight motorcycles and have owned a 2008 Suzuki DR650 since new (I'm on my 3rd one), but It just didn't seem to have the power I wanted. I did the research and then installed a longer duration cam, higher compression piston, pumper carb and better exhaust system which resulted in the power I wanted. Being a life long off road rider, the DR is a very good fit. I ride a KTM 200EXC off road. I've tried and owned several bikes and the Versys is one of the best, as was the V-Strom. I would highly recommend either one to someone who isn't an off road psycho such as me. I just can't get away from the desire for light weight being an ex motocross racer. I intend to keep an eye on this fine forum for those "Hike With Mike" rides and stay in touch. Thanks to everyone for the information and advice so far. Of course, I will have to come back for general information such as GPS info etc. Once again thanks to all and I'll see you on the forum and hopefully on a few rides too if this Seattle area winter ever ends. I have thrown my hat in the ring for the ride on Saturday, May 7th with Mike and crew. I have attached a few pictures of the new mistress. Cheers!
Is your rear wheel the stock size and the front wheel is an 18" wheel?
Or, what size is it?
Thanks

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pismocycleguy is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, cty, TX
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I recently sold my '08, but still check in here most days. Would hate to miss an update from Gary (DB34?); it has been a while, tho. Hope all is well with him?????
jcctx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome