Defector but still a fan - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Defector but still a fan

After thoroughly enjoying Versys ownership for a year and a 3,000 mile trip to Yellowstone and Glacier park last summer, along with this fine forum and it's members, I sold my 2008 Versys last Friday. I had decided to give the Versys a try after owning a 650 V-Strom which didn't quite fit my needs. I have always preferred light weight motorcycles and have owned a 2008 Suzuki DR650 since new (I'm on my 3rd one), but It just didn't seem to have the power I wanted. I did the research and then installed a longer duration cam, higher compression piston, pumper carb and better exhaust system which resulted in the power I wanted. Being a life long off road rider, the DR is a very good fit. I ride a KTM 200EXC off road. I've tried and owned several bikes and the Versys is one of the best, as was the V-Strom. I would highly recommend either one to someone who isn't an off road psycho such as me. I just can't get away from the desire for light weight being an ex motocross racer. I intend to keep an eye on this fine forum for those "Hike With Mike" rides and stay in touch. Thanks to everyone for the information and advice so far. Of course, I will have to come back for general information such as GPS info etc. Once again thanks to all and I'll see you on the forum and hopefully on a few rides too if this Seattle area winter ever ends. I have thrown my hat in the ring for the ride on Saturday, May 7th with Mike and crew. I have attached a few pictures of the new mistress. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DR650 andle view project complete.jpg (1.01 MB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DR650 September 08 Side View.jpg (738.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DR650 Rear angle view-project complete.jpg (1,018.6 KB, 135 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
... I did the research and then installed a longer duration cam, higher compression piston, pumper carb and better exhaust system which resulted in the power I wanted...
Wish I had your technical skills!

and have fun off-roading!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Would that be your bike on CL?

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM

You sneaker! Is that a GSXR exhaust can I spy!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure what "CL" is so it's probably not my bike on CL.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Yes,
That is a 2001-2002 GSXR exhaust can on my DR650. Sharp eye!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Sad to see you go. Enjoy the DR !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Question CL = Craig's List?

Quote:
I'm not sure what "CL" is so it's probably not my bike on CL.
I believe that CL is short for Craig's List, the on-line selling site.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM

Question Wheel Size?

Quote:
After thoroughly enjoying Versys ownership for a year and a 3,000 mile trip to Yellowstone and Glacier park last summer, along with this fine forum and it's members, I sold my 2008 Versys last Friday. I had decided to give the Versys a try after owning a 650 V-Strom which didn't quite fit my needs. I have always preferred light weight motorcycles and have owned a 2008 Suzuki DR650 since new (I'm on my 3rd one), but It just didn't seem to have the power I wanted. I did the research and then installed a longer duration cam, higher compression piston, pumper carb and better exhaust system which resulted in the power I wanted. Being a life long off road rider, the DR is a very good fit. I ride a KTM 200EXC off road. I've tried and owned several bikes and the Versys is one of the best, as was the V-Strom. I would highly recommend either one to someone who isn't an off road psycho such as me. I just can't get away from the desire for light weight being an ex motocross racer. I intend to keep an eye on this fine forum for those "Hike With Mike" rides and stay in touch. Thanks to everyone for the information and advice so far. Of course, I will have to come back for general information such as GPS info etc. Once again thanks to all and I'll see you on the forum and hopefully on a few rides too if this Seattle area winter ever ends. I have thrown my hat in the ring for the ride on Saturday, May 7th with Mike and crew. I have attached a few pictures of the new mistress. Cheers!
Is your rear wheel the stock size and the front wheel is an 18" wheel?
Or, what size is it?
Thanks

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM

I recently sold my '08, but still check in here most days. Would hate to miss an update from Gary (DB34?); it has been a while, tho. Hope all is well with him?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode