250 mile observation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
250 mile observation

Well let me begin this tiny trip with thanking everyone here for giving me so much information to work off of.

I recently bought a 2011 versys after having scoured this forum and the ZRX forum for about a year. I ended up getting the versys for many of the same reasons everyone else here did.

Anyways, I have been talkin about taking a trip back home down to georgia and thought the versys would be perfect for this journey. But I not completely stupid so I thought I would get ready for that 1000+ mile trip in stages. Beginning with the 250 mile trip this afternoon. I went from philly, to harrisburg, to allentown and back down to philly. Next I will go on a 500 mile trip and see what I think of that.

So here is what I gathered from my 250 mile trip:
  • the versys is a rock solid motorcycle inside and out
  • great gear is USELESS if you leave it at home
  • earplugs are the BEES KNEES
  • I need a better windscreen
  • I dont mind the stock seat after i raised the front about 1/2 an inch
  • I definitely hadnt been filling the gas tank up all the way, which is why i wasnt going as far as other people on the forum lol (you have to level the bike and fill up to the brim)
  • I got 200 + miles on my fill up and that is with a handful of very spirited sprints past semi's (so 50mpg isnt bad at all with my average speed around 70-75 mph)

I probably did this trip too early since I only had like 376 miles on it but I had already taken it easy and because of paranoiya I changed the oil and filter at 300. Regardless, I didnt drop the 8k for a new bike (w/ 3 yrs of warranty) to sit there and baby the piss out of it.

In the end, I had a really fun time. Learned what I do need and what I dont need right now. Also, I totally agree with the many on here who take trips and say that when you get out of your element you tend to find very interesting and king people, that was my case today at least.

Thanks again guys.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Rock Solid Bike...

Yes, Bamf... Great review and here in So-Cal we can connect our mile munching interstates with the occationall graded dirt-road ,which the Versys will amaze you at it's other side...Handles very well off-road for a big heavy touring bike with an all-day sitting in a uprite riding position thats like a lazy-boy recliner in my house...I have never ridden back in your area ...sounds like fun times to adventure long distance with these high gas prices ... $20 bucks for a fillup...Live too Ride...Cheers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 779471317_84pa3-L.jpg (162.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 04-10-10-448.jpg (100.3 KB, 69 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 AM

what did you use to rise the seat front, and can you take a pic of it installed? im thinking of doing it but i dont want a big gap anywhere on the bike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Welcome to the group BAMF!

Do yourself a favor and get a real windshield preferably before you head to Georgia because its also a BUGshield

I got the Givi and I love it. See this post

Enjoy your new ride!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

- fineout - i just used two 6 mm bolts and a short peice of aluminum and then then some rubber washers. Cost me about $10 bux at lowes.

i learned about it from another post on here

- hardware - I am in between a MRA vario and a givi. I like the look and versatility of the vario but I dont know if it will do a good enough job to justify the price. The givi looks like it would do the job but might look pretty dorky and be hard to see over. Any opinions on that?

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 AM

The Givi looks just right on the bike and unless you are real short won't be a problem to see over.

With the 13 year cicadas about to erupt in the south you are going to want the bug shield.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:07 PM

Great write up, thanks. I have a 2011 with about 275mi on it, it's hard to keep the bike under 4000rpm.( I tried, for a while)during the break in period. Been thinking of the Givi windshield to use on trips from Boston area to Vermont this summer. Currently in Lexingon , VA with bike, a bit chilly but great riding still. I get to take bike around country with me while working, get to some great places. Just coming off a 10 yr love affair with my Yamaha FZ1, kind of miss the horsepower, but loving the versys so far!

Last edited by Mtross1035; 05-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
... The givi looks like it would do the job but might look pretty dorky and be hard to see over. Any opinions on that?
The Givi does look kinda odd when viewed head-on (too tall for its width and what’s with all those curves?) and that turned me off when I first put it on the bike (in fact I considered shortening it or even returning it) — but then I took it for a ride and found that Givi got it just right for my height and what I wanted it to do, i.e., block the bugs and more importantly, quiet the airflow around my head (I wear a FF helmet in the winter but a 3/4 whenever it’s warm enough and the stock shield was brutally noisy) but I still wanted some airflow around my body and it did just that (so that’s what all those curves are for).

I’m just a bit over 5’8” & 31” inseam & ride with some slouch and my normal line of site is several inches over the top of the screen.

The shield really isn’t as tall as it looks. I think there’s a bit of an optical illusion because it extends down so far and because it narrows at the bottom, in fact a couple of my pics in the other post make it appear worse than it is because of the camera angle but as you can see in pic below it’s only about 3” higher than the mirrors.

For pure looks, I really like the Kawi Tall screen (below) but I just don’t think it’s high enough to do the job and I don’t like the Vario wing designs...

Good luck with whatever you decide... and be sure to let us know how it works out for ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys-024.JPG (176.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Versys_2010-Windshield_Tall.jpg (73.4 KB, 79 views)

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
The Givi looks just right on the bike and unless you are real short won't be a problem to see over.

With the 13 year cicadas about to erupt in the south you are going to want the bug shield.
I think the Givi looks good on the bike, especially if you have a top case...something high in front, something high in back. When I first put mine on, it looked huge to me while riding the bike, but I quickly got used to it. It is a BIG improvement over stock as far as wind protection and makes long distance rides much more pleasant.

And it IS a good "bug shield" too. That's a picture of mine after a little 18 hour 1,100 mile jaunt I took.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0600.jpg (870.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0702.jpg (292.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0958.jpg (380.0 KB, 65 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode