Versys snubbed by Motorcyclist Mag - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys snubbed by Motorcyclist Mag

Top ten list under 10 grand:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=27

We just can't get no respect! That's ok, it's our little secret "best motorcycle, period"!

BEAR: could you fix my stupid spelling typo in the title please?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

I think this article is more accurately called "the best motorcycles that are almost 10K."

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM

I think they need better categories and better judgment criteria. The motorcycle press, as a whole has been very positive about the Versys. That said it (motorcycling press) is driven by advertising.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
njd

FZ6r??
Sportster??

This was obviously written by somebody who has never climbed on a motorcycle before .

Here's what he wrote for the Street Triple R:

"Even though it's a street bike is has precise handling that befits an off-road motorcycle. Its two huge headlights will make it a joy to ride at night."

Yeah, night riding is definitely a priority when picking out a bike.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Content mills.

They get starving writers to churn out reams of text containing words that show up in search engine inquiries. The words don't have to make much sense. The author doesn't have to know what he or she is writing about. They just have to get clicks, hoping that some of those will lead to people clicking on ads. The writer gets $5/story, or sometimes a share of the miniscule ad revenue.

There are positives to the democratization of publishing that the internet represents. This isn't one of them. Don't waste your time caring what this guy thinks. Heck, you could write a rival article tomorrow saying the top five motorcycles under $10,000 were the Versys, the Versys, the Versys, the Versys and the Versys.

Regards,
Your Semi-starving Writer in Residence

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 PM

BTW, there is no connection to Motorcyclist magazine.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I may be confused because I couldn't find the article in the online website. I saw it orginally a couple of days ago on the newstand. It seems to match up.
At any rate, I am not surprised the Kawasaki got left out, it's not about what is the best, it's about advertising. And as was accurately stated above, Kawasaki is not advertising the Versys, never has.

Besides, the only top ten list I respect is David Letterman's!

My Album:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 AM

There were only what, five bikes listed? Even if one is trying to write a legitimate article, a lot of sub-$10k machines are going to get left out of a top five. Besides, the Versys isn't new anymore, and people tend to forget about not recently introduced or high profile models. The article's nearly content-free anyway.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 AM

They started with a Hardley Davidson. Didn't need to read beyond that. Good thing the V was not included. I'd be flattered.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 AM

I like my Road Racing world

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Me thinks you fellas are being overly sensitive.
the "V" is not an "almost $10 grand bike...which was the point of the article. A bit under the price range they were going after....and it seems they were clearly choosing bikes from several genera to show the diversity of options available at that price point.
It's not about editorial being driven by advertising...it's just a helpful tool for those new to the sport.

So IMHO, your making much to much of it all.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-01-2011 at 11:49 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM

The British bike press mostly love the Versys. It's a favourite of BIKE who reckon that it's just about the best real world bike you can buy these days.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Rik

AGREED! the British bike press is VERY thorough. I find in recent years, the "Motorcylist" mag folks have slipped a bit. "Cycle World" has been a staple in my mailbox since the 70's and has been fairly consistent. I always look forward to Mr. Egans ramblings and Mr. Burns, (formerly with motorcyclist) has an equally unique perspective on the Moto-scene.
IMHO
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 PM
djg

Not an intelligent article. Unqualified unknowledgeable author. Fluff.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
The British bike press mostly love the Versys. It's a favourite of BIKE who reckon that it's just about the best real world bike you can buy these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
AGREED! the British bike press is VERY thorough. I find in recent years, the "Motorcylist" mag folks have slipped a bit. "Cycle World" has been a staple in my mailbox since the 70's and has been fairly consistent. I always look forward to Mr. Egans ramblings and Mr. Burns, (formerly with motorcyclist) has an equally unique perspective on the Moto-scene.
IMHO
I bought an issue of BIKE off of Ebay because it had an article/test on the Versys and I was very impressed with its content. Their articles and tests seem more thorough and thought out than what I am used to (Cycle World, Motorcyclist). I usually read those (CW/M) once and maybe twice and then I am done with them, with the BIKE mag I probably read and re-read it a dozen times and continued to find interesting takes and information. They seem to be more honest, practical, relevant and written by people who are very knowledgeable. And they RAVED about the Versys, BTW. It won in a unanimous sweep over the KTM Duke, BMW 800, and an Aprilla 750 (why not include the V-strom too?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Not an intelligent article. Unqualified unknowledgeable author. Fluff.
That article came across as basically dumb.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Rik

when I can find "Bike" I usually buy a copy...It's a little spendy for me to subscribe to. A copy of bike lasts me for months whereas the U.S. bike mags are usually scan, Read, toss on the stack.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM

I like this one about the FZR. "It looks lightweight and has plenty of zip to take you where you want to go." Looks lightweight? Am I missing something?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 PM

No saddle time!

No, you caught it. This lame author hasn't put his butt cheeks in a saddle at all. He Googled or read the product manuals and wrote a filler article. He has no concept of what a motorcycle should be or do. Lots of "Looks like..." phrases tell me he's just looking. I don't think I've ever seen the word "zippy" in any of the motorcycle magazines I've been reading.

I found another article where the author does the same thing. Practically quotes the product brochure but doesn't write from a rider perspective., i.e., no riding experience.

Don't let it bug you the Versys got left out... the letter "V" comes out really far down in a Google search. And these idiot "journalists" are too lazy to scroll down that far.

Last edited by pirnie; 05-03-2011 at 03:29 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM

I don't want it in the list. I like this little secret we have

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode