Duals on my Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Duals on my Versys

Ok here it is video of the duals on my V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler 2.jpg (61.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg muffler 4.jpg (57.2 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg muffler 6.jpg (50.8 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by popotwins; 05-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM

And it goes...?

How does it sound?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirnie View Post
How does it sound?
+1, on the sound?

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Very clever. I want an outlet on each side so I can be heard more easily. My Jardine is loud enough but I would like a set up like yours. Please post a clip if you can.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

No worried about heating the chain and shortening its lifespan?

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Looks good , how doest it sound. Any increase in performance.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Sound is real deep for the Versys deeper than the stock muffler, but not as deep as a H.D. with straight pipes. I've had them on for 2 days and have been asked several times where I bought them. As far as the spacing and heat shorting the chain life, there is almost 2 inches of space at the turn outs and the tips are turned down below the chain the left side picture does'nt really show that all that well. Really with the 1 7/8 inlet and dual 2in outlets there is very little pressure and heat build up is not that bad at all. Tried to put some sound on here but have'nt figured it out yet. If someone could help me with that I'll be glad to post some sound.

Last edited by popotwins; 04-27-2011 at 09:04 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 PM

I always wonder why would anyone do anything to make a vehicle louder. The only loud engine sound I have ever liked is the sound of a 12 cilinder ferrari and it was not that loud at all.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
DR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I always wonder why would anyone do anything to make a vehicle louder. The only loud engine sound I have ever liked is the sound of a 12 cilinder ferrari and it was not that loud at all.
Louder doesn't mean it has to sound bad plus that is only one aspect. Lots of people here like the looks, the better performance, lighter weight, less heat, and less complication of an aftermarket exhaust.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 PM

Less complication? I see how you would want to replace a broken mufler with a less expensive and simpler one with a nice sound. However, replacing a perfectly good oem part with an aftermarket part seems more complicated to me. Anyway, a more discrete dual might be more to my taste. Not to take anyoned fun of farkling, just trying to understand and maybe learn something. If planning a ride in California check if you will need one of the infamous EPA stickers.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 PM

I wonder how a V would sound with "true duals". Each headpipe with it's own exit.

IBA # 49372
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Perhaps it is because most people associate "loud" engines with race/high-performance engines? Some people also think it makes them safer: "Loud pipes save lives." To say one did it for "performance gains" doesn't make sense to me.

After listening to everything I could (I think ALL on the market) on Youtube, I am sticking with my OEM "can." I think the V sounds kinda "sleeper-hot-rod-ish" as it comes from the factory. Inline twins. in general, don't sound good to me "unplugged," whereas all inline 4's do. The unplugged American V-twins (you know who you are) are just obnoxious in my eyes. Besides, I leave early every morning for work and I don't want to piss off (create animosity with) the neighborhood.

Having said all that, I think your design looks cool and I admire your ingenuity. You certainly have created "your own" V. From what I see, I don't think you will have any problems with the chain either.

Oh yeah, I am not sure, but I think that is how you do it for sound: upload your video (I am assuming it is a video) to Youtube and then post the link. FWIW

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick background on why. 4 week OEM replacement time,7 to 10 days for aftermarket.(Who wants to wait that long?) My stock muffler had something come apart on the inside, made the worst sounds (ever stopped next to a diesel) it was sounding as if my pistons were trying to swap holes. Due to wildlife my wife has her car in the shop,so we're down to one other car. For a total of $43.00, muffler,two 90deg pipes one reducer coupling and one clamp. I am able to go back and forth to work and enjoy the wind. OEM muffler is coming,doubt that it will ever go for a ride with me,most likely it will stay in the box for the 2nd owner if any. I enjoy being able to hear the G's that I'm pulling from leaving a red light,now into and out off left hand turns. The Duals installed are enjoyable to listen to not mad bumble bee sound. Oh rode with my Dad yesterday he has a H.D. straight pipes while on his left side was still able to hear his, so mine isn't overpowering loud.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Rationalize all you want to. Loud exhausts are illegal except for off road use. After market exhausts also do not usually have a catalyzer which adds to pollution. In the case of the Versys any weight savings is so low as to make a negligible impact on handling. I simply don’t understand why the public and police have put up with this annoyance for so long but I am sure the day is coming; and not a minute to soon as far as I am concerned.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Loud exhausts are illegal except for off road use.
Not true, depends how loud they are, most states have a dB requirement and as long as you meet this at idle you are all set. I believe it is usually 1 foot away at idle during the inspection process, never seen a bike shop do the test tho for a sticker.

Quote:
After market exhausts also do not usually have a catalyzer which adds to pollution.
Mostly true and this is why i am not changing my exhaust.

Quote:
In the case of the Versys any weight savings is so low as to make a negligible impact on handling.
Disagree... any weight savings whether it be body weight or bike weight increases performance. it is about a 10 lb savings switching exhausts and on a 450 lb bike that is a significant drop. Think of cars, they advertise 100 lb drops in weight from previous gens pretty close to the same ratio of weight loss. But, unless you ride the streets like you are running from the cops you wont notice the difference except in track times. It is an increase in overall performance potential, only those who have the skill to access it will notice. But then again how many riders out there can access the full potential of a versys anyways?

Last edited by eparker202; 04-28-2011 at 09:26 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM

hahaha
Rationalize all you want to.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Looks cool to me also. I generally prefer to keep exhaust stock but I really like what you have done. To the greenies; this is not some loud ass Harley-Davidson that scares old ladies and rattles windows. Looks responsible to me.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Perhaps it is because most people associate "loud" engines with race/high-performance engines? Some people also think it makes them safer: "Loud pipes save lives." To say one did it for "performance gains" doesn't make sense to me.

After listening to everything I could (I think ALL on the market) on Youtube, I am sticking with my OEM "can." I think the V sounds kinda "sleeper-hot-rod-ish" as it comes from the factory. Inline twins. in general, don't sound good to me "unplugged," whereas all inline 4's do. The unplugged American V-twins (you know who you are) are just obnoxious in my eyes. Besides, I leave early every morning for work and I don't want to piss off (create animosity with) the neighborhood.

Having said all that, I think your design looks cool and I admire your ingenuity. You certainly have created "your own" V. From what I see, I don't think you will have any problems with the chain either.

Oh yeah, I am not sure, but I think that is how you do it for sound: upload your video (I am assuming it is a video) to Youtube and then post the link. FWIW
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Talking How to instructions

How about a photo and words, how-to-make, posting entry so that others will be able to experience your creation?
Suppling part numbers/manufacturer/and sources would be great!

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM

I am shocked. I expected a lot more of the usual anti - loud pipe preaching that comes up every single time someone does something cool with their exhaust. I don't mind as I love everybody no matter how lame their bike sounds. Relax, I'm just kidding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode