HELP! Bar end weight bolt is stripped - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HELP! Bar end weight bolt is stripped

Just received my Kaoko Throttle lock and when I went to remove the bar end weight I stripped the hex bolt. The Grabit didn't help. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Go to the harware store and get a helicoil and you'll be all set.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bversysb View Post
Go to the harware store and get a helicoil and you'll be all set.
The hex key is stripped, not the threads.

No idea on how you tripped that though, it was very tight removing mine.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM

The hex is 6MM. Buy a inexpensive 7MM hex. Using a hand file or small grinder put a slight taper on the leading edges of the hex. Drive the hex into the stripped hole with a hammer. If it wedges in tight heat the bar end with a heat gun to soften the thread locker that is applied at the factory and attempt to remove the bolt.
You might just get lucky. If not you are SOL.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 PM

For some ungodly reason Kawasaki thought it best to install the hex bolts in the bar end weights with red loctite.... Blue would have been more than sufficient. I installed Barkbusters today and was lucky enough to get both bolts out.

Sorry, can't help much with your problem though...

Richard

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 04-26-2011 at 10:03 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
rlj

I got that son of a bitch out......back to work now. I'll explain later!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The hex is 6MM. Buy a inexpensive 7MM hex. Using a hand file or small grinder put a slight taper on the leading edges of the hex. Drive the hex into the stripped hole with a hammer. If it wedges in tight heat the bar end with a heat gun to soften the thread locker that is applied at the factory and attempt to remove the bolt.
You might just get lucky. If not you are SOL.
Yes, the only other thing you can do is take it to someone that has brasing tips and torches, what you need to do is be a part of a team, one person heats the allen head cap screw red hot , you need to do this in 1 minute or less, the other person or you needs to have a wet rag in hand, wait about 1 minute and quench the bolt , this does two things , it helps, barley but it does help to harden the head, the very next thing you need to do is put your hex wrench in and try and turn this out. The purpose of the heat is to break the locktite down.

A third option that I have had considerable luck with is to go to your neares hardware and buy a hammer type impact driver, also get a coupling nut that closely matches the 6 to 7 mm, instead of buying a expensive allen head socket, use a metric socket or inch which ever fits the coupling nut and then fit the other end of the nut as previously described by filing etc.

To be clear, this impact driver is one that you twist with your left hand and hit with a hammer, I have removed Forklift grade ten bolts with this, should be less than $20, and comes with a 1/2 inch drive tip and various screwdriver tips.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Here's how it came out......I got lucky,

Took a 1/4" cobalt drill bit thinking I could drill the top off the bolt, then I should be able to pull the bar end weight off and use vice grips to unscrew the bolt. Well, things never go as planned. I preceded to drill the top off, got so hot the cobalt drill bit broke, looked inside the bar end weight and everything was rounded smooth in a concaved fashion. While everything was hot, I took a large screwdriver and it was just the right size to fit tight into my newly rounded hole and I was able to get enough leverage to unscrew the bolt. It was so hot it loosened the red loctite right up.

Now I can't get the Kaoko throttle lock to work properly, it's either too tight or too loose. I'm tired and will try and get it working tomorrow.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
Here's how it came out......I got lucky, ....

Now I can't get the Kaoko throttle lock to work properly, it's either too tight or too loose. I'm tired and will try and get it working tomorrow.
WELD the buggar!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM

Wow. Hatchet in one hand and hammer in the other mentality here. Scary.

IBA # 49372
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Reminds me of the Harley and Triumph dealer in Edmonton when I was a kid.

Al would say: "I can fix anything, just get me a bigger hammer and screwdriver!"

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
What scares you from using your intellectual thoughts to remove a stuck bolt?

If NASA called and wanted me to fix the Low Pressure Oxidizer Turbopump (LPOTP) which is an axial-flow pump driven by a six-stage turbine powered by liquid oxygen.......I'd pass, but a stuck bolt......I'll figure it out!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
What scares you from using your intellectual thoughts to remove a stuck bolt?

If NASA called and wanted me to fix the Low Pressure Oxidizer Turbopump (LPOTP) which is an axial-flow pump driven by a six-stage turbine powered by liquid oxygen.......I'd pass, but a stuck bolt......I'll figure it out!

This is the comment I was reffering to.

"The hex is 6MM. Buy a inexpensive 7MM hex. Using a hand file or small grinder put a slight taper on the leading edges of the hex. Drive the hex into the stripped hole with a hammer. If it wedges in tight heat the bar end with a heat gun to soften the thread locker that is applied at the factory and attempt to remove the bolt.
You might just get lucky. If not you are SOL."

This would have worked. I used some like this for my footsets when I put my new exhaust on.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IBA # 49372
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
djg

I don't think that's a bad way to do it. There are many ways to deal with a stuck bolt. I put Barkbusters on and got the bolts out ok, surprised by the red loctite. Heat will soften loctite. You could drill the head off the bolt or use the ez outs as you pictured.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Impact driver mentioned by Onewizard.
Used the same to remove the bar end weight before putting the Zetas on.
Was tight and didn't want to spoilt the hex. Snug fit the driver's tip and bang!

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode