Speedy's Lowering Kit Installed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedy's Lowering Kit Installed

Just completed installing Speedy's lowering kit. Didn't take very long, thanks to Speedy's clear and concise instructions. Have worked on bikes (long time ago) and cars alot and had all the tools so it went smoothly and quickly. The V doesn't feel nearly as top heavy now, but that could be my imagination.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green 2009 Versys <GIVI V35 Hardcases w/green OEM trim & admore light kit> <GIVI V46NF Monokey Top case w/integrated stoplight> <GIVI PLX447 sidecase mount> <GIVI 447FZ topcase mount> <Speedy's Lowering Kit with Flatfoot> <Front of seat raised 9/16"> <Speedy's peg lowering kit> <Aprillia Tuono mirrors> <Speedy's vibe dampening handlebar risers> <RAM handlebar GPS mount> <Speedy's swingarm spools> <Givi D405ST windshield> <Barkbuster VPS handguards> <Madstad adj windshield mount>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM

I think it helps the handling and tames the shock a bit. Also a really well turned out piece of kit! Glad it went well for you and enjoy the bike!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Anyone have before and after pictures on this mod?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I should probably taken some but I didn't, sorry.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Speedy's lowering kit increases shock compression to suspension travel ratio a bit, which stiffens the ride and reduces suspension travel slightly (also maintains tire to fender clearance with fully compressed rear suspension). You may want to try a notch lower on spring preload.
Center of gravity is in fact lowered... No, I haven't lowered mine.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Not sure if Speedy's instructions mention to check your chain tension!!

Mine was very tight after the lower. Had to loosen it quite a bit to get the proper tension.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittB View Post
Anyone have before and after pictures on this mod?
This person has. Kind of...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=8935#post8935

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM

I lowered mine even though I didn't need to. I could flat foot it before, I just got tired of throwing my leg over a tall bike which will never be ridden off road. The bike feels better in the twisties for sure even with the numb feeling stock tires. I would highly recommend this mod to anyone who desires a more normal feeling bike. Looks wise, you would need to stand it next to a non-modded V to tell the difference.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

Mine was very tight after the lower. Had to loosen it quite a bit to get the proper tension.

Thanks Capn Kirk, I just checked and it's fine. Wouldn't have thought to check though, and no, Speedy's instructions don't mention it.

I really love the feel of the bike lowered, plus it was pretty hard to get on and off with the luggage installed.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 AM

good morning,

don't forget the front forks.....see other post about lowering the bike...congrats....

good luck,
FREE TEXAS,
bluebonnet2
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

It was adjusted too tight to begin with. The lowering kit doesn't change the distance between the sprockets, it just lowers the ride height and you were in a different part of the swingarm range. What DOES change is the trail, which influences how the bike turns in on a corner. It will turn in less easy unless you lower the front an equal amount.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM

My chain tightened after lowering the bike and it was too loose to begin with. The swingarm pivot point does not center on the countershaft.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 PM

That's right, Blipco... Chain tension should be checked with rear suspension fully extended. Measured chain slack is reduced as suspension compresses, or with lowering kit or shorter shock. Chain is tightest at just over middle of suspension travel range.
Therefore, proper measured chain slack with lowered suspension is slightly less than stock even when measured with suspension fully extended as it should, because suspension can no longer be extended to stock specs.

Last edited by invader; 04-17-2011 at 09:08 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice bluebonnet, I lowered it to the rough area per Speedy's directions.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathomassr View Post
Just completed installing Speedy's lowering kit. Didn't take very long, thanks to Speedy's clear and concise instructions. Have worked on bikes (long time ago) and cars alot and had all the tools so it went smoothly and quickly. The V doesn't feel nearly as top heavy now, but that could be my imagination.
I'm curious as to how you raised the rear of the bike so the swing arm would extend and still kept it stable. I know Speedy mentions a bike lift, or two jacks or paint buckets but I'm not certain about any of those without further instructions (for a dummy).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Arion,

I put a jack stand under right foot peg, lifted left side by tilting it on the right stand and slid second stand under left side. It's not too hard, just make sure first stand doesn't slip (a helper is good).
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathomassr View Post
Arion,

I put a jack stand under right foot peg, lifted left side by tilting it on the right stand and slid second stand under left side. It's not too hard, just make sure first stand doesn't slip (a helper is good).
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Sounds simple and straight forward. And I'm a great believer in helpers, if for no other reason that it's something soft for the bike to fall on and cushion the blow (to the bike).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 AM

Dear Invader,

I also think the kit does compress the suspension, making it stiffer for the ride. What setup you recommend for the preload, and the damper?
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM

I just had the lowering kit installed, and the flatfoot added along with shortening the kickstand.

Already the bike feels better. I'm more stable at stops and the riding position is more comfortable. I can sit at a stop with both feet flat on the ground and my knees bent.

The Versys seat height is quite high at 33 inches; Speedy's lowering link drops the rear suspension by 1.8 inches and makes the seat the perfect height for me.

I'd add that shortening the kickstand is probably going to be necessary for most bikes once the lowering link is added. I did not lower the front and I'd think that would make even more of a difference.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 PM

All i did was to keep it on the side stand,slackened the nuts first,used a car jack with a 2 ft length of wood under the rear subframe.jacked it up just enough so the the bolts turned easily.Took me about 15mins start to finish.
I also lowered the forks by 2 inches otherwise it would affect the handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode