Why didn't you buy a Suzuki? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why didn't you buy a Suzuki?

Why didn't you buy a Wee Strom?

They have been around awhile and have proven to be solid mounts....

I have my reasons.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Who, me?? I had tried a friend's DL650 before the Versys, and was not impressed much at all. That same friend convinced me to get a new Versys after he had tried one. I had never even seen a Versys in real life before I bought one and had it delivered. Excellent choice indeed!
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 AM

I was determined I was going to buy a V-Strom. Researched the heck out of it. Also had researched the Versys a bit too, but was determined I wanted a V-Strom. And then I sat on one - and hated it. Felt like I was sitting on a Clydesdale. Right next to it was a beautiful, green Versys. Threw a leg over it, and knew I had found my next bike. Bottom line:

1. The Versys fit me better
2. The Versys felt much more sporty
3. I have a thing for parallel twins
4. The Versys has looks that really appeal to me
5. The complete package of the Versys had me thinking that if I did not buy it, I would always feel like I should have. Every time I ride my bike - which is every day - I know I made the right choice.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 AM

I had the same exact experience as MadOne1.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 AM

Traded in one

I owned a Strom. Put 23,000 miles on it. Farkeled it up for Adventure Touring. Large beast. Rode a Versys. Traded in the Strom. Wish the Versys had been available in 2005 when I got the Strom.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 AM

Stopped in at the local Suzuki dealer to check em out before I got the Versys.

Was a bit more money, as the Versys was a leftover.

But the real clincher was they wouldn't let me take if for a ride. The Kawa dealer let me test ride both the Versys and the Ninja.

I've bought lots of new bikes over the years and the Versys was the only bike the dealer let me test ride first. I think most shops don't have the bikes preped on the showroom floor cause they don't know how long they will sit. And that's probably a good reason not to allow test rides.

Mike
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 AM

I actually ddi buy a V-Strom.... Hands down the best bike I have ever owned. The Versys is a close second.

V-Strom Pros

1) Long distance comfort especially the seat and weather protection
2) Smooth torquey engine
3) 19inch front wheel better as a dual sport (gravel roads)
4) Many more options for the bike including a centre stand
5) Bullet proof engines many examples of bikes with 200,000 kms
6) Fuel economy and larger gas tank
7) Better (and adjustable) suspension

Versys pros
1) Lighter
2) More power in the mid range
3) Solid chasis (inspires sport bike confidence)
4) Better looks
5) Better sounding engine
6) Easier to work on at home

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Bought a GS550L and a GS1000L in the 80's both had stator problems the dealer could never fix. Too many memories of having to push the bike across the parking lot to bump start it. went with a buddy who was looking at the V-Strom i never gave it a thought. left the suzuki dealership and bought the Versys

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 AM

The Strom looked and felt HUGE compared to the Versys. After sitting on it for about 5 seconds, I said "Not for me".

One of the good things about being at a mega dealership that sells the major 4, lots to compare to in the same room.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 07:07 AM

I am avoiding Suzuki as I bought a new SV650 that was a good bike but not a great bike. I had problems with finding neutral/ getting out of neutral and problems with the ignition key and steering lock. I was disappointed and decided to avoid Suzuki for a while. My luck with Kawi had been perfect with a quad (KFX700) I bought so I am quickly becoming brand loyal. The only brand I will never buy again is Yamaha.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
I was determined I was going to buy a V-Strom. Researched the heck out of it. Also had researched the Versys a bit too, but was determined I wanted a V-Strom. And then I sat on one - and hated it. Felt like I was sitting on a Clydesdale. Right next to it was a beautiful, green Versys. Threw a leg over it, and knew I had found my next bike. Bottom line:

1. The Versys fit me better
2. The Versys felt much more sporty
3. I have a thing for parallel twins
4. The Versys has looks that really appeal to me
5. The complete package of the Versys had me thinking that if I did not buy it, I would always feel like I should have. Every time I ride my bike - which is every day - I know I made the right choice.
My exact same experience, except I couldn't find a VStrom in stock anywhere when I was looking to buy back in 2008.

My 18 year old son bought a 2009 Wee Strom and I've ridden it some 300 miles so far. Has a higher CG then the Versys, but seems a "smoother" ride to me. However I find that when I ride it I really miss the mad power delivery of the Versys. I like the Wee Strom's seat better........but I'm happier with the Versys.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 AM

I drove both a few times before buying the Versys. I think the Versys is a much better all around street bike with better suspension for the street and quicker steering. The VStrom is slightly more comfortable although both bikes are very comfortable. Found the VStrom suspension too soft for fun riding on pavement. If I was to do any off roading though I would say the VStrom would be the better choice. Possibly slightly better too for long distance miles. For the riding I do though, mostly pleasure/sport riding and commuting on pavement, the Versys is the better bike. The Versys definitely has the higher fun factor on pavement. With the big front wheel and soft suspension the VStrom is just not that much fun or nimble on pavement.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 AM

I tend to get a sharp pain in my right hip if I sit on a bike that has a wide tank, and can't stand cruisers for that reason. But after reading countless reviews of the Vstrom and how comfortable it was, I was also set to get one.

I sat on a few in the dealership, and something didn't feel quite right, but I figured I just need to adjust to it. Then I was lucky enough to take a ride on one during a demo ride day. The pain in my hip announced itself while sitting on the 'strom once we got rolling. No amount of shifting positions on the seat helped...the seat/tank juncture was just too wide. Rather than hold up the group, I rode that leg of demo ride standing on the pegs the entire time, and switched bikes as soon as I could.

The Kawasaki dealer offered test rides, so I booked one. The V was just a bit cramped in the seat/peg distance, but it was fun to ride. Speedy's lowering blocks cured that issue.

Having the opportunity to ride the bikes prevented me from making a huge mistake, $$$-wise.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 AM

I bought a new 07 DL1000 and farkled the S##T out of it. But it was top heavy and the ugliest bike ever and I couldn't take it anymore. I know I'm very superficial. Have owned to Vs since.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM

I had a wee strom right before my Versys. I bought it new in July 09 and sold it in Sept.10 with only 1600 kms on it. I did tons of research and forum lurking before I bought it and it is a great reliable bulletproof bike but right from the day I brought it home it just wasn't fun to ride. I was able to test ride it first and it seemed to be lacking something but I figured it would grow on me. Well it didn't it just felt so big and awkward and not nimble at all. I'm sure it would be a great long distance bike but most of my riding is around town/joyriding so the Versys is perfect for me. Best bike I've owned over the years by far!!
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Love the DL650 & DL1000
Bought a leftover 09 Versys
The Versys for under 6K for a brand new bike is very attractive.
The Versys rides and feels just like what it is and looks like.
I own the big brother street version of the DL650, the SV1000s. It has the grunt of a tricked out 350 Chevy
I put 45k combined miles on 3 bikes in 3 years
buy em, ride em, wear em, sell em
I have no loyalty to a bike or brand, they are machines.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 04-16-2011 at 10:10 AM.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Rode a friend's Wee for about a hundred twisty miles. Nice bike; felt solid; felt BIG. It had what seemed to me like a loooong reach to the handlebars (fixable w new bars, I know). The seat was so-so. Decided to "downsize" from my 01 Connie, and the Wee was just too much like an underpowered Conc, a beast to roll around in my garage. Decided on the V.....

When the V's suspension felt bargain-basement, I did the Yamaha R1 mod. WOW what a difference. Fixed the seat, added tall windshield, and just yesterday SW moto racks for Givi cases. Rode both back-to-back yesterday and I'm thinking about selling the Concours. It's THAT good.

The Wee is a good bike to be sure, but now when I ride w my Wee-owning friend he always wants to trade.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:21 AM

From the first time the SV650 came on market in '99 I said I'd buy a DS bike with that engine, if only Suzi would make one. Then they F'd it up! I guess because they did the DL1000 first and had to make it huge to compete with the GS*. Then they make the 650 just as huge. Granted, the size goes away to some extent when you're riding it, but it will never be exactly agile.
The whole bike just feels so Captain Sensible, not at all the rowdy bad-boy. Competent, but not fun.

*I question this premise, I think a lot of guys were buying the GS in spite of the fact that it was huge, not because of it.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:16 AM

I test rode a wee-strom and a Versys the same day in June 08. The strom didn't feel as agile, and the battery died on me about 2 blocks from the dealer. There are no accidents. I took that as a sign, even though my ride on the Versys had all ready convinced me that it was the bike I wanted. Bought mine the next week.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
I actually ddi buy a V-Strom.... Hands down the best bike I have ever owned. The Versys is a close second.

V-Strom Pros

1) Long distance comfort especially the seat and weather protection
2) Smooth torquey engine
3) 19inch front wheel better as a dual sport (gravel roads)
4) Many more options for the bike including a centre stand
5) Bullet proof engines many examples of bikes with 200,000 kms
6) Fuel economy and larger gas tank
7) Better (and adjustable) suspension

Versys pros
1) Lighter
2) More power in the mid range
3) Solid chasis (inspires sport bike confidence)
4) Better looks
5) Better sounding engine
6) Easier to work on at home
Son of a b&@*h! One of each, huh? Somehow that seems unfair. Then again, maybe I can convince my wife it's the thing to do - if I'm extremely good.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode