track day on the versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up track day on the versys

I did my first track day at Grand Sport Speedway with Fastline Motorcycle School.

Once the instructors got my ass off my nice big seat and started working the body position I didn't grind the pegs at all, it felt great, the bike felt great with me, it was a timeless moment, like flying. I didn't think about work once. Perfect!!!

see www.fastlinemcs.com if your interested

I really thought I knew how to ride too....if you have never done a track day you should

Also, I earned my track time by corner working for the motorcycle school for a day

I'm running Michilin Pilot Road 2ct's, love them on the road, and they were plenty sticky on the track for me. It's my second set and I will buy them again. The tire guy at the track suggested about 31psi for both front and rear (for the track only). The tires did get much warmer than they ever did on the street. I never measured the "warm" pressure but they told me it should be about 4psi more than what it is "cold."

Everything else is stock. I had the suspension adjusted by a pro at the track. It cost me $30 but was well worth it. I don't know what all he changed, but if sure felt better in the corners afterwords.

Breaks were fine. Most of the breaking was engine breaking anyway.

the versys is a fun track bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM

I've only done track days on my CBR600 (doing another one tomorrow actually) but I bet the versys would be pretty damn fun even if its not so fast. It's so easy to throw it around.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Garage
Sounds like a real blast! I wish there was a track somewhere reasonably close to me.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Pumped up

I just had my local dealership install a pair of Pilot Road 2CT's on my '08 Versys. When they delivered it to my house afterward, I checked the tire pressure with my highly accurate digital pressure gauge and found both tires to be inflated to 40 psi.

Thinking this just might be a tad high, I set the rear to 33 psi and the front to 31. Am I in the ballpark with these pressures? Should I go a little higher on both ends?

HandKPhil
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks on sharing your track day with us.

BTW

OEM Pressure for Versys- 32 F: 36 R.
correct me if wrong here.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Thanks on sharing your track day with us.

BTW

OEM Pressure for Versys- 32 F: 36 R.
correct me if wrong here.

Yep that is correct fasto, have been running mine 2 psi above oem, recomendation from my mechanic.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handkphil View Post
I just had my local dealership install a pair of Pilot Road 2CT's on my '08 Versys. When they delivered it to my house afterward, I checked the tire pressure with my highly accurate digital pressure gauge and found both tires to be inflated to 40 psi.

Thinking this just might be a tad high, I set the rear to 33 psi and the front to 31. Am I in the ballpark with these pressures? Should I go a little higher on both ends?
For street use I think closer to 40 works best but for the track running at around 30psi is what most people run when running road tires at the track. I run 29-30 on my pilot powers on my CBR on the track.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
The tire guy at the track suggested about 31psi for both front and rear (for the track only). The tires did get much warmer than they ever did on the street. I never measured the "warm" pressure but they told me it should be about 4psi more than what it is "cold."
A general rule of thumb is 10% difference between cold and warm pressures. If the tires heat up more than that you need to add a bit of pressure. If it's not heating up enough reduce. Getting advice from a tire vendor at the track at the start of the day is a good way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode