Best windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best windscreen

OK, when i bought the bike, i thought that tiny windscreen was a joke, but it works surprisingly good! but im six foot so im looking for a bigger one, ive seen the kawasaki tall, the vario, and the givi.. just wondering if anyone has fitted any of them and what they thought was the best as far as wind protection and buffeting. thanks!
myorangecamaro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Member
 
Enemy Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Everything I've read has said the Givi is best so I've got one on order. I'll give you my opinion once I receive it. So far though, I'm hoping it's as good as everyone has said.
Enemy Zero is offline  
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've got the Givi and it works pretty good right now with the bad weather and cold temps. I'll probably switch back to the stock one when summer finally comes.
timmsumm is offline  
 
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:13 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecamaro View Post
OK, when i bought the bike, i thought that tiny windscreen was a joke, but it works surprisingly good! but im six foot so im looking for a bigger one, ive seen the kawasaki tall, the vario, and the givi.. just wondering if anyone has fitted any of them and what they thought was the best as far as wind protection and buffeting. thanks!
Hi, I'm also 6 ft tall and thought the standard screen sort of useless. I have the Givi mounted now and I love it. It looks great and protects from rain.....lots here in Portland....and manages airflow much better. Couldn't be happier.
Ric
ricracer44 is offline  
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Member
 
markaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All The Versys Shields

Besides the shields available from Kawasaki, which are all too short for touring unless your neck comes straight out of your ribcage, here are the other shields available and semi-available for the Versys:
Cee Baileys just introduced a new full size shield Iím very interested in. CB is an aircraft windshield manufacturer that has branched off into motorcycle shields. It would stand to reason they have nice equipment, and a rudimentary knowledge of aerodynamics: http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/

Much better known are the CalSci shields that come in lots of sizes up to a tall version that might scrape the top of your garage going in. They arenít very stylish, but people who have them like them. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html

Known to all is Givi. Beware tall guys, the Givi isnít: http://www.giviusa.com/per_la_tua_mo...=23651&lang=en

I have to provide two links for this one. Skidmarx in the UK makes a stylish shield Iím also interested in. You can see it in the news story at the first link, but buy it in the USA from Streetfighters by Design, the second link. Streetfighters does not have it displayed on their site, but they have it. You just have to write them. Itís $100.00. They wrote me back quickly. This one looks taller in the picture than it actually is, itís +4Ē from stock. Once again, tall guys go around this one for touring.
http://londonbikers.com/news/5405/sk...awasaki-versys
http://www.streetfightersbydesign.co...b/stintro2.htm

Sometime in June-ish National Cycle will introduce another member of their ďVStreamĒ family of modern shields for the Versys. This one may be worth waiting for as other members of this family of shields are excellent. You canít see it anywhere, because it doesnít yet exist, but you can prematurely order one at the following site. I have traded several emails with National Cycle and the problem is, a couple of shields they are introducing first are holding up the Versys shield. However, they are serious about it, and their current estimate puts production out to late June. Never mind the April 3rd date on the site at this link. Go over to NationalCycleís website (second link below) and look at the VStream shield they did for the Suzi V-Strom. Makes the homely V-Strom look like a spaceship. May be a preview of the Versys shield.
http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...de=TR55%2D2160
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...h_model=su-092

Tall guys, if you want your head in still air, you are with CalSci or CB today, or National Cycle this summer.

Shiney side up,
-Mark
markaustin is offline  
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Member
 
markaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Howdy, ricracer, where does the windblast hit you? I heard other tall guys say they were being hit in the face. Is you head cleanly in the windstream or cleanly out of it?
markaustin is offline  
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool versys screen

hi guys i looked at the skidmarx screen here in the uk but opted for the versys tall screen from ( kawasaki ) im 6ft and ive found this screen ok you still get some wind blast at speed but thats the name of the game on this style of bike, but its not bad enough to spoil the great ride and ive done a few long trips so no problem. i suspect that the givi may be a bit better but i reckon its marginal,,, just down to looks and money and personal choice any way hot day warm wind in the face....great!!!!!!!
yoyo is offline  
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Member
 
markaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have ordered the Cee Bailey shield. I'll report out on it after I get it and test.
markaustin is offline  
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I tried the large OEM and it did not do much better than the stock one. I now have the Givi and it works well. I would recomend it for anyone doing trips.
hunting1 is offline  
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I ended up getting the vario screen because the givi seamed a bit large for my liking, i actually am impressed, i get hit with the blast about mid face, which is completly tolarable, anything under 50mph has little of no blast, and the buffeting factor doesnt really exist, and it actually looks pretty cool, thank for your imput guys!
myorangecamaro is offline  
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
National Cycle needs a Versys to build a shield!

I just called National Cycle and they told me the delay in getting the VERSYS shield done now is getting a VVERSYS that they can use to experiment. If anyoone in Chicago can contact them maybe they will cut you a deal if you let them look at your V.


2xadv

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaustin View Post
Besides the shields available from Kawasaki, which are all too short for touring unless your neck comes straight out of your ribcage, here are the other shields available and semi-available for the Versys:
Cee Baileys just introduced a new full size shield Iím very interested in. CB is an aircraft windshield manufacturer that has branched off into motorcycle shields. It would stand to reason they have nice equipment, and a rudimentary knowledge of aerodynamics: http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/

Much better known are the CalSci shields that come in lots of sizes up to a tall version that might scrape the top of your garage going in. They arenít very stylish, but people who have them like them. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html

Known to all is Givi. Beware tall guys, the Givi isnít: http://www.giviusa.com/per_la_tua_mo...=23651&lang=en

I have to provide two links for this one. Skidmarx in the UK makes a stylish shield Iím also interested in. You can see it in the news story at the first link, but buy it in the USA from Streetfighters by Design, the second link. Streetfighters does not have it displayed on their site, but they have it. You just have to write them. Itís $100.00. They wrote me back quickly. This one looks taller in the picture than it actually is, itís +4Ē from stock. Once again, tall guys go around this one for touring.
http://londonbikers.com/news/5405/sk...awasaki-versys
http://www.streetfightersbydesign.co...b/stintro2.htm

Sometime in June-ish National Cycle will introduce another member of their ďVStreamĒ family of modern shields for the Versys. This one may be worth waiting for as other members of this family of shields are excellent. You canít see it anywhere, because it doesnít yet exist, but you can prematurely order one at the following site. I have traded several emails with National Cycle and the problem is, a couple of shields they are introducing first are holding up the Versys shield. However, they are serious about it, and their current estimate puts production out to late June. Never mind the April 3rd date on the site at this link. Go over to NationalCycleís website (second link below) and look at the VStream shield they did for the Suzi V-Strom. Makes the homely V-Strom look like a spaceship. May be a preview of the Versys shield.
http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...de=TR55%2D2160
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...h_model=su-092

Tall guys, if you want your head in still air, you are with CalSci or CB today, or National Cycle this summer.

Shiney side up,
-Mark
2xadv is offline  
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Member
 
StonedGP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a GIVI, and on the mid level setting the blast just clips the top of my helmet. I'm 6'0" ft
StonedGP is offline  
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Member
 
Enemy Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used my Givi screen for a good trip through Arizona and back to vegas and I tried all three settings and found the middle one to be the best. It gives great wind protection to your body and surprisingly flows air around your hands as well. I'm 5'7" and the air just goes right to the top of my helmet. I could ride with the face shield cracked open all day with no problems.

I love the comfort behind the screen and recommend the Givi to anyone interested in getting an aftermarket windscreen.
Enemy Zero is offline  
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:43 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecamaro View Post
OK, when i bought the bike, i thought that tiny windscreen was a joke, but it works surprisingly good! but im six foot so im looking for a bigger one, ive seen the kawasaki tall, the vario, and the givi.. just wondering if anyone has fitted any of them and what they thought was the best as far as wind protection and buffeting. thanks!
I'm 6-1 and did not like the stock windscreen.....plus, I can't ever leave a bike stock.....so, I installed the Givi and I love it! Both for wind protection and appearance.
Ric
ricracer44 is offline  
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: roanoke Va.
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
has anyone tried turning the stock windshiled upside down? i'm 6'2'' and just moved the stock shield to the top setting, worked better, but will try flipping it this week, will post an update
tsunamichop007 is offline  
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Enemy Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
has anyone tried turning the stock windshiled upside down? i'm 6'2'' and just moved the stock shield to the top setting, worked better, but will try flipping it this week, will post an update
It's been posted here before. It looks like it was made to go that way, but the people that have done it have said you can definitely tell the difference.

"Bear on a Bicycle" did it, here's his thread:
http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=165
Enemy Zero is offline  
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie around here....been an avid reader for the last month or so and picked up my Versys last weekend. I'm 6'2" and in researching windshields, have narrowed down to the Givi vs. the Calsci. Mark (from Calsci) suggested I buy the XL. Visually, the Givi is much more appealing to me and the Calsci (in my opinion) would look somewhat out of place on the Versys! Any thoughts or comparative opinions would be appreciated. If buying Givi, is Twisted Throttle the best place to buy it from? Thanks in advance! :-)
De-Silva is offline  
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Member
 
Hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N. Georgia mountains
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My bike came with this screen on it:



I don't like it. I'm used to no screen and this one blocks the wind from my helmet. I want the blast to hit me in the chest. I want a stock screen....
Hooligan is offline  
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
My bike came with this screen on it:



I don't like it. I'm used to no screen and this one blocks the wind from my helmet. I want the blast to hit me in the chest. I want a stock screen....
Hey Hooligan you wanna swap one day, I have the stocker but am willing to try a different one? I'm supposed to meet up with Mountainrider one day and give him some seat material. Its just hard doing a 2hr run up to Suches. We could meet up at Dales or wherever and have a mini V meet.
Baddone is offline  
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Silva View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie around here....been an avid reader for the last month or so and picked up my Versys last weekend. I'm 6'2" and in researching windshields, have narrowed down to the Givi vs. the Calsci. Mark (from Calsci) suggested I buy the XL. Visually, the Givi is much more appealing to me and the Calsci (in my opinion) would look somewhat out of place on the Versys! Any thoughts or comparative opinions would be appreciated. If buying Givi, is Twisted Throttle the best place to buy it from? Thanks in advance! :-)
Give the stocker a try first in all 4 positions then if you don't like it get a different one. The stock shield is pretty good at low, middle, high or some peoples choice upside down. I'm 6'3" and prefer the high mount.
Baddone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone changed their windscreen? Enemy Zero General Discussions - V-650 25 07-31-2010 04:29 PM
Stock Windscreen Hooligan Modifications - Cosmetic - V-650 8 12-22-2008 06:56 PM
Windscreen Extension lanesplitter Modifications - Cosmetic - V-650 9 08-17-2008 12:02 AM
Givi windscreen mrb42 Modifications - Cosmetic - V-650 9 08-05-2008 10:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome