She ain't a Goldwing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
She ain't a Goldwing

I've had my V for a year now and have put 9K on her, and I love it to death. Have taken several 400 mile rides to the Bay Area and it has always done well. Yesterday did something new with her. My daughter was performing in Anaheim so I went down to cheer her one. Left the house at 9:30AM. 523 miles later, pulled back home into my driveway. Bike was awesome as always, but dang, that was a little long on the Versys. Great power and suspension for the ride, but would have loved the comfort of a 'Wing. Some day. Some day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just get a pair of Speedy's foot peg lowering blocks, and you'll be better than on a godforsaken Goldwing.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Sounds like you had a great day! 500+ miles of riding to go root your daughter on, does it get much better than that?

Recently I was down at my local shop burning time and I walked over and checked out the 'Wings. Damn, those things are HUGE! I mean, really, really HUGE! How much they weigh? 1,000 pounds? 1,500? They might be okay on a dead straight superslab, but I can't imagine anywhere else those things would be even remotely fun to ride. They kinda' don't even look like a m/c to me...sorta' like one of those Can-Am Spyders 3-wheelers or something. (which, not so ironically, were in the same section of the showroom). And, they cost more than most compact cars. Anyway, not a big fan of those behemoths.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The goldwing i had rode nice but the front end would shake at about 120mph...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 PM

I am glad it is not a Gold Wing....Although the Wing is a better bike for touring, It is too single focused. Like so many bikes today, it is designed with a single purpose in mind. funny thing about my versys is some people look at it and think it is a standard bike, while others think it is a dual sport and some think it is a sport bike and others look at it and think it is a super moto. Some people I have talked to who are not fans of the versys say it is a jack of all trades and a master of none.. my reply is, maybe that's true but your machine is a master of one thing and sucks at everything else...LOL
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleskie View Post
I am glad it is not a Gold Wing....Although the Wing is a better bike for touring, It is too single focused. Like so many bikes today, it is designed with a single purpose in mind. funny thing about my versys is some people look at it and think it is a standard bike, while others think it is a dual sport and some think it is a sport bike and others look at it and think it is a super moto. Some people I have talked to who are not fans of the versys say it is a jack of all trades and a master of none.. my reply is, maybe that's true but your machine is a master of one thing and sucks at everything else...LOL
A guy I know rides a Boulevard, and keeps referring to my Versys as a crotch rocket. I tried to point out the difference between sport bike and sportbike, but I don't think he quite got it. (Or maybe that's a distinction that only lives in my own head...) In any case, if it's not a cruiser, 'rocket or 'Wing, nobody seems to know what to make of it, as many have pointed out.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Sounds like you had a great day! 500+ miles of riding to go root your daughter on, does it get much better than that?
It was a great day. Would not have wanted to miss it for the world. It was all about the adventure. As for the bike, in the end, I know the V is a much better bike for what I need. Everyday it gets me to my office, rain or shine. On the weekends, it takes me on explorations with my wife or son. Sooner or later, I just need to set it up a bit better for touring - cruise control would really be nice! I bought the V for what it is - and I still feel it is still about a 9.5 on my 10 point scale!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 AM

Assuming you did some combination of 99/41 to I-5 there and back, yes, I can see how that would be tiring. Heck, it's a tiring drive in a heated (or cooled) car...

I have a Vista Cruise, it's not a cruise control, but a throttle lock and it works fine on just this type of ride, when you need to give your right hand a break. Costs ~$20, so it's pretty affordable too. The peg lowering blocks Invader mentioned also help make longer runs more pleasant.

Gustavo

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:

Recently I was down at my local shop burning time and I walked over and checked out the 'Wings. Damn, those things are HUGE! I mean, really, really HUGE! How much they weigh? 1,000 pounds? 1,500? They might be okay on a dead straight superslab, but I can't imagine anywhere else those things would be even remotely fun to ride. They kinda' don't even look like a m/c to me...sorta' like one of those Can-Am Spyders 3-wheelers or something. (which, not so ironically, were in the same section of the showroom). And, they cost more than most compact cars. Anyway, not a big fan of those behemoths.
Pic of me on Wing at the Dragon (2001)
I had a 2001 1800 and it is the ultimate touring machine on two wheels IMO. Heavy but agile enough to eat some corners at the Dragon (two up hence pic). Plenty of power at hand. All the creature comforts you could want.

After 60k miles, I just felt I wanted a bike that felt more like a motorcycle. I wanted something lighter and something I could build on making it unique. It took me two other bikes in between, but the Versys fits that bill perfectly.
There will be other bikes in my life for sure. It's my pattern! But if touring is what your looking for, the wing ain't a bad thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goldwing at Dragon.jpg (332.0 KB, 123 views)

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM

RockyMoto, one day you should do yourself a favor and dance with a fat girl. you might be surprised.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Goldwing = Yech!
rode my friends Valkyrie, I was bored to death, felt like riding an electric bike...........

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
RockyMoto, one day you should do yourself a favor and dance with a fat girl. you might be surprised.
If the fat girl falls over on the road you need a crane to lift it back up
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM

I "moved up" to large displacement motorcycles quite a few years ago and have owned a number of large tourning bikes.

While the large tourers are terrific for rolling up miles on the super-slab, they come up short in providing the wonderful sensation of flight that so many of us enjoy on agile, middle-weight bikes like the Versys.

FWIW...I live within a short day's ride to the Blue Ridge mountains. On the mountain roads the Versys truly shines. The big touring motorcycles...not so much.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Garage
Quote:

Yeah Goldwings are horrible for anything but a straight line. I bet this guy would leave you in the dust on his Wing.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/0nrMQ3QwyPo

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

Last edited by HAWKSHOT99; 03-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Bring back the Silverwing!

Gotta be honest, if they made a Goldwing in the 650cc - 1000cc range for smaller folks with all the bells and whistles of the current model, I would have it as well as my V in the stable. There is no way this 160 lb, 5' 8", 30" inseam fella is going to buy such a big bike.

Bring back the Silverwing updated with todays technology!!

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Gotta be honest, if they made a Goldwing in the 650cc - 1000cc range for smaller folks with all the bells and whistles of the current model, I would have it as well as my V in the stable. There is no way this 160 lb, 5' 8", 30" inseam fella is going to buy such a big bike.

Bring back the Silverwing updated with todays technology!!

Honda currently makes a silver wing. Its now actually a mega (500cc) scooter although suitable for highway touring. The also started to import the Honda NV700 from Europe although reviews I've read say it is bland to the point of being boring.

Last edited by Sprocket; 03-27-2011 at 04:30 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Honda currently makes a silver wing. Its now actually a mega (500cc) scooter although suitable for highway touring. The also started to import the Honda NV700 from Europe although reviews I've read say it is bland to the point of being boring.

I saw the NT700 when I was breaking into the sport touring market. I chose the Versys over it simply because everything I read kept saying fun fun fun. The price or the Versys at almost half the NT700 made it a no brainer. Other research I read called the NT700 a "dullville" instead of a Deauville due to the price tag and lack of performance. Also, physically the NT700 is a BIG bike for a 650. I was shocked when I sat on it.

I see that Honda has labeled the big scooter a Silver Wing. I wont dismiss it as I know nothing about it. I am sure it is easy to ride, mount, etc.

Thanks for pointing out the 2 Hondas! Anything with two wheels and an engine is fun to me
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Assuming you did some combination of 99/41 to I-5 there and back, yes, I can see how that would be tiring. Heck, it's a tiring drive in a heated (or cooled) car...

I have a Vista Cruise, it's not a cruise control, but a throttle lock and it works fine on just this type of ride, when you need to give your right hand a break. Costs ~$20, so it's pretty affordable too. The peg lowering blocks Invader mentioned also help make longer runs more pleasant.

Gustavo
Yep, it was 99 and I-5 the whole way. Even saw snow and a lot of rain on the Grapevine!

Glad to hear you like the Vista Cruise. I have one on my old Yamaha cruiser and really like it. Have not been sure it was the right idea for the V though. After last Friday, and hearing your thoughts, I think I will probably get one soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode