Stock Mirror replaced w/ superduke? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
wml

Stock Mirror replaced w/ superduke?

Basis one of the threads here, bought the KTM 990 mirrors to replace the stock mirrors on my wife's '11.

Remembered to get the adapter as they are left hand threads, but what I see now is no way to "lock" the mirror in position as the mirror and adapter kit does not come with any locknut. As it appears to be an M8 left hand (reverse) thread nut needed, you can guess that this is impossible to find locally.
Has anyone run into this and have any suggestions? I can't think of another way to position the mirror properly and tighten it...
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Those OEMs are the the Good mirrors! The V1 (pre'10) had the stinkers. Why did you replace them?
Sorry, can't help with the lock-nut question.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Here's how mine worked. (I bought my set used. It's possible that mine are different than yours, but I doubt it.)

If you slide the rubber cover on the stem of the mirrors you'll see a small nut. This is normally covered by the rubber cover so it's not surprising that you may have missed it. This nut and the stems of the mirror have left hand threads.
  1. Screw the adapters into the mounts on the handlebars. These are standard right hand threads.
  2. Slide the rubber cover on the mirror stem up to access the nut. Screw the nut all the way on to the mirror stem's threaded section.
  3. Screw the left hand threaded mirrors into the adapters until they are all the way down, then back off until the angle of the mirror is where you like it.
  4. Tighten the nut to lock the mirror's angle. My mirrors were a bit of a pain in that you needed one hand to hold the rubber cover up, one hand to hold the mirror at the correct angle, and a third hand to tighten the nut.
  5. Slide the rubber cover down to hide the nut.

I managed step 4 alone but it would have been a bit easier with two people. I slid the rubber cover up with one hand and slid the wrench on to the nut with the other. The wrench, once on the nut, holds the cover up. Now I had enough hands.

You might wonder why there is a right handed male thread on the adapter and a left handed thread on the mirrors. I think it's because if you hit a mirror either a right or left handed thread will unscrew instead of breaking the mirror or mount. This is the same reason why Yamaha used to use left handed threads on their right side mirrors. Maybe they still do. I don't own a Yamaha.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
wml

Steven,
Thanks for the reply...just went out to the garage and check, and sure enough, there is a jam nut under the rubber. Thats hilarious. Can't tell you how many folks looked at this with me to brainstorm (and I even looked at the parts catalog for KTM to see if something was missing - the nut doesn't show up in the doc) and none of us saw this...
New mirrors will go on tomorrow, and hopefully take some of the vibration out at hiway speeds.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode