First Trip with the Giant Loop Moto Great Basin - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

First Trip with the Giant Loop Moto Great Basin

I ordered the bag on Monday, it arrived Friday. Great order support from Giant Loop - the guys were very helpful with answering my questions and getting my order processed and shipped the same day. Packed it up and rode from Austin to Dallas on Friday night with the return on Sunday morning on the backroads - 4.5 hours each way, roughly.

First impressions. The bag may not stop actual bullets, but I'm pretty sure it's impervious to just about anything out there. Very solidly built - it's considerably stronger and tougher than it looks in the photos, and I'm reasonably certain it will last a long time.

The 50L capacity is not an exaggeration. I purposely loaded tools, air compressor and 4 days worth of clothing for a 2-day trip to see how it would fare. Everything stuffs into the sacks easily, and then it's a matter of just distributing the weight. I found it easier to set the bag on one of my kitchen chairs and load the saddlebags first, then the center compartment and the stuff sacks.

Mouting on my V was a bit more challenging. It sits fine on the pillion of my Corbin seat, and the straps to the passenger footrest brackets are great. The main straps secure to the grab rails with no problem. But there is no real good place for the center strap on the V. This is not a major concern, though - the mains work fine in the grab rails.

I don't think I actually needed the center strap, but I wanted to be secure so I looped it through the little leather nub that covers the passenger backrest hole and back onto the bag. That's not a great mount point though.

What would happen is that the front edge of the bag, because of the way it straps on, would slide forward a bit and keep me from sitting fully back in the saddle. It was only a minor thing, but I'd like it to fit a little better. So I may just re-install my Givi rear rack to give that strap something stronger to attach to, and at the same time, fabricate a rear grab handle for it that wouldn't stick out so far...I like the clean "chopped" rear look the bike has now. But that would keep the longitudinal position of the bag more in place. Like I said, it's not that big a deal. If you have a rear rack of any type, it's a non-issue.

On the road I didn't even know the bag was there. Once tight, it's on there. No flapping, no lack of balance, nothing. It stays put. Takes about 5 minutes to mount and dismount the bag, and most of that time is spent just evenly snugging the straps.

For removal, I'd undo the straps, quickly braid them together and loop them through the top ring to make a carrying handle. Fully loaded, the sucker is heavy, but, like I said, I loaded it heavy for the trip.

No complaints at all about the bag. It looks great on the bike. My BMW-riding friend looked at it and said, "That's ingenious. What a perfectly excellent solution if you don't want or need hard bags, and totally perfect for off-road."

Not that I go off road, but hey, it works.

The ride home was....not fun. Winds were out of the south at 17kts gusting to 25kts, and even with the MadStad in the full-up position, the wind was beating the holy crap out of me on the road...either swirling turbulent crosswinds or a full-head on gale. Controlling the bike required a lot of concentration and I ended up stopping a couple times just to rest and re-adjust.

The bag, however, needed nothing.

Final thought. I am pretty sure I could get a rubber-edged metal plate...maybe about the size of a car license plate but a little narrower - and slide it under the main mounting ring. That would give me a decent chunk of metal that I could actually stick my magnetic tank bag to it on top, and run a couple extra straps through the bottom if I wanted. GiantLoop gives you PLENTY of places to add things.

Great bag. Very nice people. Spendy, but worth it for quality and flexibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
But there is no real good place for the center strap on the V. This is not a major concern, though - the mains work fine in the grab rails.

You're right, I see now that it would require some creative thinking to secure the central strap.
It wasn't an issue for me as I have OEM/SW-Motech's rack and top box. I thread the central strap trough the hole of the mounting plate for the top box.

I'm glad you like it.
Looks nice in black too.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm thinking just a piece of bent metal that would be flat on either end to mount to the rear bolts of the grab handles would be perfect. As long as it was stiff enough that the tension from the bag wouldn't bend it, I'd be okay.

I'd thought about interlocking a couple of large carabiners from the grab rails so that they mated up in the center, but I discarded that idea, too.

Like I said, it's really not that big of a deal - it's just that I'd like some rear-pulling tension to keep the bag aft of the top edge of the seat.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
That is a slick looking bag. It's utilitarian, and the fact that it could move to another bike is appealing. It looks bomb proof and tough!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
That is a slick looking bag. It's utilitarian, and the fact that it could move to another bike is appealing. It looks bomb proof and tough!
Thanks!

I was a little leery of the looks at first - I bought it for the utility/transportability from bike to bike. It's not as "slick" as hard bags would be, but it's got a certain flair that I dig.

And yes, it's tough. Pictures do not do the potential durability justice. I'm pretty sure it would survive all manner of crashes and abuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode