Valve adjustment, check! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Garage
What about @fasteddiecopeman having a Thermo-Bob installed? That should also improve fuel economy, even in warmer climates.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Garage
I've got a Thermo-Bob on my 2011 and I'm for sure NOT in a warm climate.. Can't really say weather it makes a difference with MPG or not. I'm hoping after my valve shim adjustment, airbox/filter cleaning, and new Denso 5363 plugs installed I will see a MPG increase. I do run knobbies so I know it's not ideal for max MPG. But I'm sure it will make a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

I just had to pick something up in NW Phoenix, so I spent a LOT of 75 - 80 mph time on the freeway (at least for the "going", but only for HALF of the coming home), and got 52 mpgUS when I refueled, after the 180 miles I rode. (FWIW - I started w/ heated jacket-liner on "2", grips on "2" also, but came home w/ grips OFF, heated liner and jacket-liner in the 'bags). TODAY is about 80F - REALLY SORRY for you Northerners.......)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-08-2018 at 12:24 PM.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
I get the impression from many of the valve check posts & threads on this site that the majority of Versys 650 owners find valve clearances out of spec at the first scheduled check. Hopefully this is more a function of perception with those that find out of spec valves posting and those who find everything OK not bothering to post.

Over the last 20 years, I've owned mostly 1000+ cc bikes (primarily Hondas) and they almost never need valve lash adjustments until 100k+ miles. Yes, I've read on the forums of a few who needed adjusting on the very first check but they were the exception. Could the seeming frequency of valve adjustments on the Versys 650 be a result of the higher rpm that it runs relative to the liter bikes?

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
I get the impression from many of the valve check posts & threads on this site that the majority of Versys 650 owners find valve clearances out of spec at the first scheduled check. Hopefully this is more a function of perception with those that find out of spec valves posting and those who find everything OK not bothering to post....
Did my FIRST valve check at 20,491 miles (on my '08) to find ALL exhaust valves TIGHT, so I opened them up to the 'loose' end of the specs. Since then (48K miles later, my third check) THREE exhaust valves had SLIGHTLY tightened, but STILL w/in specs, tho' I did OPEN them up to MAX.

Quote:
...Yes, I've read on the forums of a few who needed adjusting on the very first check but they were the exception?....
AS a result of a few guys "doing" their valves early and finding some TIGHT exhaust valves, I have done the first valve-check on my TWO other V650s at around 6K miles, finding tight exhausts in BOTH cases.

After that initial valve-check, MY experience is that the valves stay w/in the specs pretty much, tho' the exhausts tighten slowly (which is WHY it's a good reason to go to the MAX clearance when you "do" them), so your next check(s) should confirm that they are still w/in specs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I get the impression from many of the valve check posts & threads on this site that the majority of Versys 650 owners find valve clearances out of spec at the first scheduled check. Hopefully this is more a function of perception with those that find out of spec valves posting and those who find everything OK not bothering to post.

?
both my 07 and 2015 I was the original owner, the 07 at over 25,000 KM the one exhaust was tight and out of spec to the point I was worried, luckily no damage, my 2015 was done at around 10,000 to 11,000 KM and same thing tight exhaust in intake, my posts previously have more accuracy and exact numbers, my point is 2 out of 2 in my book is 100%, like Ed, I set all my valves to max opening, and expect that I won't need to do anything for a good 30,000 to 40,000 KM, which is what the owner of my 07 has found ( sold it at 30,000 KM). I am going to say it is probably related to break in and the casting/ metal quality, once broke in things harden, also keep in mind the tight tolerance, and as you mentioned the RPM, normal highway speeds for me are 6500 to 7000 RPM for hours, I frequently hit 9,000 RPM and on long trips I have hit the rev limiter, unintentionally but it happens.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...normal highway speeds for me are 6500 to 7000 RPM for hours, I frequently hit 9,000 RPM and on long trips I have hit the rev limiter, unintentionally but it happens.
I believe I have NEVER hit the rev-limiter on any of my three Vs, and generally cruise below 5,500 rpm, MOSTLY by choosing "interesting" roads rather than the 'super-slab'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:47 AM

For anyone not wanting to do the calculation, or looking for a second eye, here is something I made just for this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fE...VnQqRvK224pUiu
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Converted To PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
For anyone not wanting to do the calculation, or looking for a second eye, here is something I made just for this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fE...VnQqRvK224pUiu
Not everyone has this operating system,so when possible best to convert to PDF format, everyone has the capability of printing from that, I added it to the how to. I have seen it happen where members spend a great deal of time to help others, then the link gets damaged or no longer works,or it can't be opened, when in doubt I always convert to PDF.
Here is my PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Valve Shim Spec Form (1).pdf (48.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Valve Adjustments.pdf (78.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by onewizard; 02-12-2018 at 07:56 PM.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 02:24 PM

First valve check at about 11k miles showed one exhaust at just under spec and the other three at minimum. Intakes varied but were in spec. I opened all to max. Checked again at 34k miles, pretty much no movement.

I also take interesting roads but keep the rpms up to make them even more "interesting". Don't often hit the limiter but do play in the 7-10k rpm range. Not the best for gas mileage but if that was a concern I would be riding a POS 250 Rebel or such. All miles for the last 2ok I show just over 50mpg. And rear tires do not last very long on mine. Yeehaw!

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
As the title , could you convert to jpeg, not everyone has this operating system, I will then add it to the how to.
Here is my jpeg http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&d=1503418974
I don't understand.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Windows 7 Open Office

See post 29, by the way
I have windows 10 on my laptop, couldn't do anything with the link, asked me for Microsoft Office, buy it or trial period, so later when the desktop came available I converted it to PDF. That bypasses Google and PDF is usable by everyone.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-12-2018 at 07:57 PM.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
As the title , converted to jpeg, not everyone has this operating system, I added it to the how to. I have seen it happen where members spend a great deal of time to help others, then the link gets damaged or no longer works,or it can't be opened, when in doubt I always convert to jpeg.
Here is my jpeg
Aren't these PDF documents? When I click on your links, that's what is displayed.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Aren't these PDF documents? When I click on your links, that's what is displayed.
Yes I converted them using open office, I should have edited the title.Pretty bad when you see after the word PDF and you call it jpeg, I think I have a communication problem between my vision and my brain, well that is embarrassing.

quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-12-2018 at 08:00 PM.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I think I have a communication problem between my vision and my brain, well that is embarrassing.

Well ... lately this has happened to me more often than I like to admit.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode