Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra Gas Can for Touring

Anybody use this thing? Any thoughts?

http://www.rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Gaso...ack-Mount.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Very interesting. I've never been that far away from gas, since the V has a range of about 250 miles. Still, seems quite handy if you go way way off the grid.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 PM

I have the mount, and carry 2 of the larger ones on my ATV for longer trips.
So does my pal I ride with a lot.
He often carries 3, 2 with gas, and 1 with water.
They are tough, easy to remove when wanted, but stay in place while moving.
Mine lay flat on the rear rack, and I pack stuff on top of them without problems.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:54 PM

I have a one gallon Rotopax and have used it several times. Generally I carry it inside my right pannier, if I'm on a long run, fully loaded, I attach it to my Caribou top box.
One extra gallon may not be enough, last month I managed to run out of gas in Chile, could have used another gallon.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM

I can't imagine you would need a longer range than a couple hundred miles for the continental US. For a guy like Gary in SA then yes, mandatory.

It's a good product, very popular for the adventure rider guys. Do a search on google with this sintax and you'll find everything you wanted to know:
[site:advrider.com rotopax]

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM

As I followed the link I was thinking..."doesn't that guy whose riding around South America use these?" Imagine my relief to know that I wasn't losing it when I read Gary's post. Anyway, I was thinking of trip to Alaska and wondered if these wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the link.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdaddy View Post
As I followed the link I was thinking..."doesn't that guy whose riding around South America use these?" Imagine my relief to know that I wasn't losing it when I read Gary's post. Anyway, I was thinking of trip to Alaska and wondered if these wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the link.
Extra fuel is for sure a bonus in Alaska unless you like long walks.
I am going to Alaska in summer 2012, and carrying extra gas for sure.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
I can't imagine you would need a longer range than a couple hundred miles for the continental US. For a guy like Gary in SA then yes, mandatory.

It's a good product, very popular for the adventure rider guys. Do a search on google with this sintax and you'll find everything you wanted to know:
[site:advrider.com rotopax]
I guess you have never been to West Virginia. There are plenty of times in the continental U.S that you would need extra gas and even more then a extra gal at least on the East coast. Im headed for Alaska this summer so Im setting up the bike for that trip but extra gas was on my list even for touring in NVA and WVA.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 02-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
Extra fuel is for sure a bonus in Alaska unless you like long walks.
I am going to Alaska in summer 2012, and carrying extra gas for sure.
there is a guy on fleabay right now selling them for 75 bucks shipped thats even cheaper then with a discount from ADV rider.com. I just ordered one.

Heres a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

If you want to go direct to the factory heres a discount code: coupon code "advrider" That will save you about 10 bucks but with shipping its still 80.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 02-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdaddy View Post
I don't think you'd need them for Alaska, but MAYBE on the Dempster to Inuvik, as it's 365 kms between gas stops, and a 250 mile range on the "V" equates to 405 kms. I carried a 1 gallon gas can up there for my camp stove and "emergency" use. (Incidentally, I believe my V will go almost 300 miles to tank dry.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Ive never gotten 300 miles on a tank and as a mater of fact when I paid attention with the bike fully loaded I was getting under 250. With that said Ive come close more then a couple of time in West Virginia to running out. Throw in getting lost and or just needing extra for your cook stove and emergency use kind of seals the deal for me as far as needing to carry an extra can this summer when I head up to AK.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 PM

When I went up to the Yukon I brought gas never needed it. I just strapped them on the passenger footpegs with a rachet strap. Never moved an inch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00182.jpg (691.9 KB, 120 views)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Alaska, OK. But West Virginia? I've crossed the entire state of West Virginia on one tank of gas and I passed a few gas stations along the way. There are certain 50-mile stretches on a Sunday that might be dry, but you don't start those rides with a nearly empty tank.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM

You could buy like 10 of those regular 1 gallon cans for the price of that thing...

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
You could buy like 10 of those regular 1 gallon cans for the price of that thing...
Sure if you dont mind it leaking all over everything.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
I have the mount, and carry 2 of the larger ones on my ATV for longer trips.
So does my pal I ride with a lot.
He often carries 3, 2 with gas, and 1 with water.
They are tough, easy to remove when wanted, but stay in place while moving.
Mine lay flat on the rear rack, and I pack stuff on top of them without problems.
Arewe, does any gas weep out at all with vibration? I'm thinking of putting one in a saddle bag next to my rain gear. What do you think?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Arewe, does any gas weep out at all with vibration? I'm thinking of putting one in a saddle bag next to my rain gear. What do you think?

This might suit your needs better..

http://www.amazon.com/Reda-Portable-Motorcycle-Gas-Can/dp/B003WHBVDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297306773&sr=8-1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Sure if you dont mind it leaking all over everything.
If you have that issue, which I never have, I'd imagine a few rubber gaskets would help.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
anyone who thinks they can tour the backcountry of the west and north on a 5 gallon main tank is in for a surprise, maybe a costly surprise.

the more miles you spend out there, you eventually come across about every scenario you could dream up regarding fuel, or the lack of fuel. stations out of business, stations taken private, closed for the day, closed at 5pm, station open, but no attendant to turn on the pump, tanks dry, tanks contaminated, power outage, pumps being replaced, tanks being replaced, ....whatever, i've seen it all.

then there's range. 200? 250? run 80mph on a fully loaded bike into those 35mph headwinds and the fuel light comes on at 175. now what? the next one horse town that maybe has fuel is 50 miles down the road.

so in general, you don't ride by fuel, and remember, just because there's a dot on the map with the name of a town, it doesn't always mean there's fuel.
True words.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode