5Likes
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 2 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Metezler M7 RR

Installed a set of Metezler M7 RR's on my 650. Bought the bike last month. Previous owner had a set of fairly worn Dunlop Q3's on it.

After putting a couple hundred miles on the new skins I really like them. They warm up fast and have excellent grip.

Smooth and quiet with very predictable handling and feed back.

Got them from Rocky Mountain ATV delivered to my door for $214. A great value for a set of high performance tires.

Mounted them on my trusty Harbor Freight tire machine and balanced them on my Tusk wheel balance and truing stand.

Gotta save a few buck when you are a semi retired old fart on a fairly fixed (read that poor) income.

Here is an interesting review of the development of this current design.

Cheers mates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5419.jpg (61.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5420.jpg (49.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5417.jpg (76.4 KB, 43 views)
Zombiereaper5 likes this.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 09-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Installed a set of Metezler M7 RR's on my 650. Bought the bike last month. Previous owner had a set of fairly worn Dunlop Q3's on it.

After putting a couple hundred miles on the new skins I really like them. They warm up fast and have excellent grip.

Smooth and quiet with very predictable handling and feed back.

Got them from Rocky Mountain ATV delivered to my door for $214. A great value for a set of high performance tires.

Mounted them on my trusty Harbor Freight tire machine and balanced them on my Tusk wheel balance and truing stand.

Gotta save a few buck when you are a semi retired old fart on a fairly fixed (read that poor) income.

Cheers mates.
Really happy with my Metzeler Roadtec 01's. They grip like glue in wet or dry.

How much is the tire machine? I gave up mounting my own tires after struggling with tire irons only to ruin an expensive new tire by bending bead, then watching guy do it effortlessly on a machine like that.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Really happy with my Metzeler Roadtec 01's. They grip like glue in wet or dry.

How much is the tire machine? I gave up mounting my own tires after struggling with tire irons only to ruin an expensive new tire by bending bead, then watching guy do it effortlessly on a machine like that.
The Harbor Freight machine is actually 2 unites. The base is for car tires. The motorcycle piece screws into the base. $43 for the base and $40 for the motorcycle attachment. I machined some nylon blocks where the rim meets the machine so as not to scratch the rim paint.

The real trick is to get one of these for dis mounting and mounting.
https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

One of these is very handy too.
Rubber Coated Bead Keeper Tire Changer Yellow Tool | eBay

After mounting and inflating you will need one of these for balancing.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...d-Truing-Stand
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 09-06-2017 at 01:15 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The Harbor Freight machine is actually 2 unites. The base is for car tires. The motorcycle piece screws into the base. $43 for the base and $40 for the motorcycle attachment. I machined some nylon blocks where the rim meets the machine so as not to scratch the rim paint.

The real trick is to get one of these for dis mounting and mounting.
https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

One of these is very handy too.
Rubber Coated Bead Keeper Tire Changer Yellow Tool | eBay
We are on the same page hawkerjet!

My modified Harbor Freight tire machine and tools are very similar to yours.

The mojo lever is excellent. Another great choice could be the No Scuff Tire Tool. I have both (just because I wanted to compare). One is as good as the other.

The yellow hand that you refer to is very useful. I seldom do without.

I do not have machining skills as you do (how I wish). I have therefore purchased Mojo Blocks.

I used the motorcycle attachment for a while but eventually removed it because it prevented me from walking around the tire machine while removing/installing tires. A 3/4-inch pipe was then inserted inside the central vertical pipe of the tire machine. It is very solid and makes tire removal/mounting much easier.

The inverted v notch on the floor has been removed because I find it makes it too easy to damage a motorcycle rim. I lie the wheel flat on a plywood platter with pieces of 2 by 4s on the exterior. This platter along with an extended bead breaker arm make this task easier.

Attached are a few pics. Some have been "borrowed" from the net. I will soon take pics of mine and post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bead breaker1.jpg (56.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg bead breaker02.jpg (36.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg bead breaker03.jpg (43.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg center pipe.jpg (45.6 KB, 29 views)
hawkerjet likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
We are on the same page hawkerjet!

My modified Harbor Freight tire machine and tools are very similar to yours.

The mojo lever is excellent. Another great choice could be the No Scuff Tire Tool. I have both (just because I wanted to compare). One is as good as the other.

The yellow hand that you refer to is very useful. I seldom do without.

I do not have machining skills as you do (how I wish). I have therefore purchased Mojo Blocks.

I used the motorcycle attachment for a while but eventually removed it because it prevented me from walking around the tire machine while removing/installing tires. A 3/4-inch pipe was then inserted inside the central vertical pipe of the tire machine. It is very solid and makes tire removal/mounting much easier.

The inverted v notch on the floor has been removed because I find it makes it too easy to damage a motorcycle rim. I lie the wheel flat on a plywood platter with pieces of 2 by 4s on the exterior. This platter along with an extended bead breaker arm make this task easier.

Attached are a few pics. Some have been "borrowed" from the net. I will soon take pics of mine and post.
Brilliant minds think alike! Lol.

I got tired of bending over to operate the bead braker so I did a modification. I pulled the pin and removed the bead braker from the stand. Then stuck it in my vise and flattened the end into an oval about 6 inches long. Then drilled a hole in the vertical portion of the top arm and mounted the bead braker there. Now I put the wheel and tire in the machine and break the bead while standing up normally rather than all hunkered over. At my age and bad back I don't do hunkering very well any more.
quexpress and james75 like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Brilliant minds think alike! Lol.

I got tired of bending over to operate the bead braker so I did a modification. I pulled the pin and removed the bead braker from the stand. Then stuck it in my vise and flattened the end into an oval about 6 inches long. Then drilled a hole in the vertical portion of the top arm and mounted the bead braker there. Now I put the wheel and tire in the machine and break the bead while standing up normally rather than all hunkered over.
Great idea!

Quote:
At my age and bad back I don't do hunkering very well any more.
Again ... we're on the same page!

I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Garage
Wow, this is all really cool. How much money do the two of you figure you've saved by mounting/balancing yourself after buying the equipment, or do you just do it for the satisfaction of being self reliant? Awesome.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Wow, this is all really cool. How much money do the two of you figure you've saved by mounting/balancing yourself after buying the equipment, or do you just do it for the satisfaction of being self reliant? Awesome.
Great question.

When I still working and living in Santa Barbara a good friend owned the local shop. He would sell me tires at cost and mount and balance them for free. Hard to beat deal.

Then I retired and moved back to Fresno and had to find a shop that would mount and balance for me. Initially their fee was $20 a wheel and a dollar a wheel weight. This was if I brought in the wheel. Then they later raised their fee to $25 a wheel. So I was paying around $33 a wheel total. Then they went out of business so time to shop around again.

Current fee's are running between $40 and $50 a wheel which can add up fast.

I have now changed 3 sets of tires and am past the break even point. Now going forward my tire mount and balance cost is near Zero. The only thing I have to buy are wheel weights which is a very minimal cost.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Have a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01's coming in the mail. Seriously excited for the improved grip and handling over the abhorrent OEM tires...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Once word got out that I had the tools neighbors found a variety of ways to convince me to lend a hand. They usually bring the wheels & tires with an appropriately sized pizza and I provide the tools & direction.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Wow, this is all really cool. How much money do the two of you figure you've saved by mounting/balancing yourself after buying the equipment,
I have no idea but can tell you that I have been changing my motorcycle tires since 2002. Note that I would use 1.5 to 2 sets of tires per season on my Valkyrie. I also changed a few sets on my old Suzukis.

Quote:
or do you just do it for the satisfaction of being self reliant?
Good point! I had chromed wheels on my Valkyrie. No way in hell was I going to let someone else at a motorcycle shop mangle these. If I wished, was able to scratch them all by myself. Thank you!

IMHO if you like to do your own work, it's a well worth investment.

Note: I have not purchased wheel weights since 2003 I guess. I then purchased approximately 10 lbs of balancing beads and have been using them since.

I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have no idea but can tell you that I have been changing my motorcycle tires since 2002. Note that I would use 1.5 to 2 sets of tires per season on my Valkyrie. I also changed a few sets on my old Suzukis.

Good point! I had chromed wheels on my Valkyrie. No way in hell was I going to let someone else at a motorcycle shop mangle these. If I wished, was able to scratch them all by myself. Thank you!

IMHO if you like to do your own work, it's a well worth investment.

Note: I have not purchased wheel weights since 2003 I guess. I then purchased approximately 10 lbs of balancing beads and have been using them since.
Humm balancing beads. Never heard of them and have not tried them.

Guess we could call you "BB" King.... Just joking.

Had a boss we used to fly on my last job. His name was Brent Banister Bickett. Never guess what nick name I gave him???? Lol.

Cheers.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Humm balancing beads. Never heard of them and have not tried them.
A few links for you:

Dyna Beads

Counteract

Quote:
Guess we could call you "BB" King.... Just joking.
I'm a BIG blues fan. My kids will tell you that I will listen to any music ... as long as it's blues.

Note: I have never been a fan of "one string BB".

Quote:
Had a boss we used to fly on my last job. His name was Brent Banister Bickett. Never guess what nick name I gave him???? Lol.

Cheers.
I'm not sure ...

I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A few links for you:

Dyna Beads

Counteract

I'm a BIG blues fan. My kids will tell you that I will listen to any music ... as long as it's blues.

Note: I have never been a fan of "one string BB".

I'm not sure ...
BB King of course. Initials are BBB, therefore he must be the king of B's.

Yea I know I'm silly.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
BB King of course. Initials are BBB, therefore he must be the king of B's.

Yea I know I'm silly.

I just shuffle slower.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Humm balancing beads. Never heard of them and have not tried them....
I get my "balancing-beads" from here:

Zirconium Oxide Grinding Media | Ceramic Media | Grinding Media | FOX Vibratory Tumbling Media

and what I use are "0.6 - 0.8 Zirconium Silicate Beads"; I buy several pounds at a time (using 1.5 oz front, 2 oz rear), so they're good for quite a few changes. You can buy 'special' valves (from Dyna Beads) that keep the beads from JAMMING the valves, causing a leak.

INSTEAD, what I do is ALWAYS give the tire a 'shot' of air before I check the pressures, to blow any beads away from the valve, and ALWAYS check for leaks w/ a little 'spit' before I re-install the valve-cap.

(I measured out 1.5 oz on a scale I have, then poured it into an old 35mm film canister, marking a LINE where the 1.5 oz filled it to, then did the SAME for 2 oz!)

BTW - I've been using these for MANY miles on all THREE Vs, as well as in tubes on my KLR before I converted it to tubeless.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-07-2017 at 11:46 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Just finished burning off the rear. Got 2800 miles on it with fairly aggressive riding style on twisty mountain roads mostly. The front tire wear is at about the half way point. I used to run Michelin PP3's on my FZ09. Same class of tire as the Metezler but I could burn off a rear in around 1500 miles.

The M7 RR is a great tire and one of the least expensive as well. Amazing grip, great handling, and longer lasting than many street/track performance tires that cost more.

Got a couple of pics with the new replacement next to the old tired one. Hey that sounds like me "Old tired one." Lol.

Cheers mates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5661.jpg (48.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5664.jpg (43.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5662.jpg (52.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5663.jpg (63.8 KB, 24 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode