Best Tires? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best Tires?

I'm pretty much a straight-up rider, I don't get down and scrape a knee in the corners every time I get into one so my tires wear out in the middle. I've been useing Dunlop Roadsmarts for the last few seasons and only get one season out of them. What tire wears longer than that and still handles well in a corner should I get into one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Just curious, how many miles is one season??

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

I think I put on somewhere around 8-10,000 mi. I'll have to double check that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Blacktop only or mix of blacktop and gravel? If gravel is in the mix, at what percentage?

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There is no best tires. You make a calculated purchase and most will depend on the level of safety you need.

Soft tires grip and hard tires do not offer that much grip but will last the distance. So there is always a level of compromise in Tire selection.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5348134_mo...formation.html

Hope this helps. Tire selection is subjective and its very personal to each rider.

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM

If you're getting 8 or 10k from a set, that's pretty good in my opinion. I'm not sure you can expect much more than that.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM

I'm nearing 10k on the stock tires, and I've never had rubber that lasted that long. I am getting ready to order some new ones and considering stockers again.

My style of riding sounds a lot like you. Curves are fun, but not what I have a lot of in Florida.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM

Check on the Bridgestone BT-023. A touring tire, good in the rain and will hold it's own in a corner. If you find one.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
If you find the Michelin Pilot Road 2s you'll be happy. Great handling tire with long mileage. Only problem is that they are now hard to find (with the new Pilot Road 3 out) and expensive. I currently am using Continental Road Attacks (first gen) and they are pretty good, especially for the price. Do ride harsher than the Michelin's, but then you get what you pay for...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Good article in "Rider" this month~ check it out.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
If you're getting 8 or 10k from a set, that's pretty good in my opinion. I'm not sure you can expect much more than that.
For the type of tire the Roadsmart is, I think you're right. The UK moto mag, Bike is really high on the Roadsmarts, and rates them as about the best of the current crop of ST tires, so it may not be the case that any of the others will do much better.

The only tires that have given me more mileage than what you're getting were the Metzler ME880s I used to run on a touring bike. They would routinely go more than 14K. OTOH, nowhere near the grip of a Roadsmart or PR2 or BT-023. FWIW, I would not run ME880s on the Versys unless I was doing almost all freeway riding or something like that. Just a complete waste of the capabilities of the bike to put it on tires like that, IMHO.

Last edited by flying_hun; 02-07-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: typo
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 PM

I have some new Distanzia on the machine, and I am super impressed with them for how I ride. The grip is fantastic, but they are a little rougher on the highway than an ST tire. They are a soft SM compound, so we'll see how long they last.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 AM

Garage
I have only heard good things about the Pirelli Angels.

I have them but have only just removed the Angel to show the Demons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angel_318.jpg (31.6 KB, 309 views)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Have a angel on rear but still think I will cut it out not much after 10,000km but better than 8000km got on oem dunlop and last tyre a Pirelli Strada.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 AM

I have about 8000 miles on my Pilot Road 2 rear and about 9500 on the front OEM Dunlop. I am losing confidence with them both in the rain. I am thinking of grabbing some Michellin Anakees next... need rain traction more than anything.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I have some new Distanzia on the machine, and I am super impressed with them for how I ride. The grip is fantastic, but they are a little rougher on the highway than an ST tire. They are a soft SM compound, so we'll see how long they last.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on those or the Pirelli M-60s, also soft compound. My spring riding will be soggy so maybe it will be worth it in spite of the mileage I won't get. By May, maybe the soon to be released Scorpion trail.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
I have about 8000 miles on my Pilot Road 2 rear and about 9500 on the front OEM Dunlop. I am losing confidence with them both in the rain. I am thinking of grabbing some Michellin Anakees next... need rain traction more than anything.
What makes you believe that Anakees will be any better in the rain than PR2's? Are you planning to ride off-pavement too? The Anakees would certainly be better for that.

The PR2's are one of the best rain tires I've ever ridden with the exception of race wets - which last no time at all. Have you tried running a full set of the PR2's?
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How about Michelin's new Pilot Road 3?

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/

Metzeler's Roadtec Z8 Interact:

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/cata.../sport_touring

Continental's ContiRoadAttack 2:

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ttack2_en.html

Last edited by invader; 02-08-2011 at 11:48 PM.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM

I'm looking to replace the stock tires with Avon Distanzia's in the next month after 8500 miles on t he stockers. Anyone know exactly what size Distanzia's to purchase for AN 09' Versys? I was thinking of ordering them off Ebay and then taking them and the wheels to a local MC shop to change out....Thanks in advance.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
I'm looking to replace the stock tires with Avon Distanzia's in the next month after 8500 miles on t he stockers. Anyone know exactly what size Distanzia's to purchase for AN 09' Versys? I was thinking of ordering them off Ebay and then taking them and the wheels to a local MC shop to change out....Thanks in advance.
If all else fails and you don't have a manual and there is no sticker somewhere on the frame, then read it off the side wall of the tires that you have on your Versys now....

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode