Which Hugger and What Hugger is that? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Which Hugger and What Hugger is that?

I'm a new owner of a 2010 Versys.

I'm considering buying a hugger for my ride and have been reading on this site and others about the various brands:
Powerbronze
ERMAX
PUIG
Skidmarx

In the course of my research I came across a post someone had made mentioning a hugger available from Greece (the eBay listing follows)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-Versys-Q...item3ca09e11fa

Has anyone seen/purchased/installed this hugger? If so, how long ago did you get it and how is it working out for you?

Thanks,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Could I also suggest that you smart people out there tell us why huggers are so crazy expensive? Are they made out of some rare earth element? Inlayed with a precious metal? Imported from another planet? Seriously, you folks who produce 'em, why so much?

I think I have settled on a Skidmarx, I like the lines and shape, but I DON'T WANT TO PAY ALMOST 2 WEEKS WAGES FOR IT!!!!!

Rant over...

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Huggers....Blondies or Red-heads? I like the blonde huggers but the red heads are nice too. As far as paying for it.......Id never pay for something you can get for free.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:33 PM

The skidmarx hugger looks like Pyramid Plastics original piece. ( which Pyramid has yet to rerelease after rebuilding there molds late last year....Hey Pyramid...if your listening I'm waiting) Pyramid is currently fronting Ermax and PUIG.

also...regarding the skidmarx hugger, at 74.95 (british pounds) I really don't see how $120.95 dollars US @ current exchange rates is all that expensive. shipping costs not withstanding that really doesn't seem all that pricey IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 02-04-2011 at 01:36 PM.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godreaud View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2010 Versys.

I'm considering buying a hugger for my ride and have been reading on this site and others about the various brands:
Powerbronze
ERMAX
PUIG
Skidmarx

In the course of my research I came across a post someone had made mentioning a hugger available from Greece (the eBay listing follows)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-Versys-Quality-Mud-Guard-Rear-Hugger-New-/260392751610?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash =item3ca09e11fa

Has anyone seen/purchased/installed this hugger? If so, how long ago did you get it and how is it working out for you?

Thanks,

Don
Looks like it might be a Puig hugger...?

http://ad-discountperformance.com/in...ucts_id=134996

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM

I bought the Skidmarx, Black, ABS, from Amazon- $140 plus shipping. I tried to find a cheaper alternative that offered as much coverage but couldn't do it.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM

I bought the hugger you mentioned, from Greece, last Fall. The delivery time was reasonable (a week to a week and 1/2 as I recall). The instillation was straight forward (although, one bolt was a few millimeters too long...but a spare washer fixed that). This particular huger isn't as large as most of the others I have seen, but it does the job reasonably well (it keeps water off the recitifier, which I was most worried about, riding in Oregon where I live). All and all I'm satisfied with it.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I looked at a several huggers and finally chose the gloss black Skidmarx. I bought it from Streetfighters by Design on Amazon. They're at: www.streetfighterbydesign.com

It wasn't cheap at $165 plus $15 shipping, but it is good quality, was easy to install, fits well, and so far is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
None of the huggers are inexpensive (what is these days?) but I think the Skidmarx is reasonable value for the money.

Oh yeah, it doesn't appear to be made out of Unobtanium like some of the others might be. This one must be an Unobtanium/plastic blend
Good luck with whatever one you decide on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I looked at a several huggers and finally chose the gloss black Skidmarx. I bought it from Streetfighters by Design on Amazon. They're at: www.streetfighterbydesign.com
Damn! I just check that link and it's not good. If you're interested, look on Amazon. They still offer the Skidmarx in black plastic at $165: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GORYFC/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1
That's the good news. The bad news is that it's out of stock. They do have the carbon fiber version but it's something like $265! Shazaam!

I noticed that another member bought the Skidmarx for $140. That's my luck. Ah well.

Arion

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM

I really want to get a skidmarx but I just can't rational $185 for what used to be several beverage containers in a former life. You'd think they'd figure lowering the price a bit to sell more....hint hint...

Currently on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point

Last edited by miblue; 02-04-2011 at 02:55 PM.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Well, damn again. The correct url is: www.streetfightersbydesign.com Turns out it's fighters rather than fighter

They're advertising the black plastic hugger for $169 and the carbon for $269.

Arion

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
Could I also suggest that you smart people out there tell us why huggers are so crazy expensive? Are they made out of some rare earth element? Inlayed with a precious metal? Imported from another planet? Seriously, you folks who produce 'em, why so much?
i imagine the molds are complex and spendy to create, different for almost every make/model bike. and the sales numbers can't be huge.

anyway, that's why i went the mudflap route, the ten dollar solution. granted, it doesn't ADD tot he look of the bike, but neither does it detract. it's rather invisible and gets the job done.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM

I have an almost new Powerbronze hugger that's looking for a home. Used lightly while waiting for a Pyramid. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.

Sorry, sold.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

Last edited by ttpete; 02-09-2011 at 09:55 AM.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I like the looks and function of my PowerBronze....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-06-2011 at 12:15 PM.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 PM

I have the skidmarks, like that it also extends several inches below the swingarm, dont like that it only has about 1/4 inch clearance on the oem tire and will probably need to shim massively for an aftermarket dual sport tire.

To the other dude, it cost about 150 us...doesnt seem unreasonible coming from the other side of the pond, some others are cheaper. There are threads about making a dirt blocker out of rubber that should work just as well and cost pennys. Not really an essential piece anyway IMO unless your running gravel roads.

T
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM

I ordered a hugger last year ( during the winter when I can't ride anyway ) from Twinshack. It was about $150 ( after all the pounds to dollars conversions ) shipped but it took over a month to get here. I was told it was because I ordered the unpainted CF one. After looking at all the huggers out there, the Twinshack seemed ( to me ) to be the one that actually did what I wanted.....keep all the crap off the bottom of the seat and the back of the bike. It covers MOST of the rear wheel in width and it looks pretty nice.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 PM

huggers

+1 on SKIDMARX....good fit....solid mounting....goog looking

got mine from TWISTED THROTTLE

RCF
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 AM

The only reason I don't have one is the price, I do think that anything over $75 for something like that is highway robbery.

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortasaki View Post
The only reason I don't have one is the price, I do think that anything over $75 for something like that is highway robbery.

Welcome To The World Of Motorcycles... Cheap Transportation Isn't Always Cheap....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 AM

I have the PowerBronze and like it as well.

One note though, it looks like it can hit the battery box when the rear suspension is fully compressed. I noticed a light scuff on the hugger where they would meet. It's hard to tell what's going on since I can't compress the rear that far. weljo2001, have you seen this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode