Bike model dilemma - please help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike model dilemma - please help

Howdy All,

I need some advise...

I am looking at my firs big bike and have fallen in love with the versys.

My dilemma... I went into the kawasaki dealler to just do some final checkin on the bike to make sure I was 100% happy and I saw he had two 2009 never registerd versys on display at a huge reduction...

1) Do I buy a new 2011 bike all shinny
2) Do I buy a 2009 bike that will also be on a new plate at a huge discount

I know threre a slight changes to the new model but is it wort the extra?

Dilemma 2, just rung the insurance company and been told it is £250 to upgrade my current insurance for the last 150 days of the cover

Or I have done a new quote that comes in at 320.

1) Do I just upgrade and get a years extra no claims
2) Do I canel the current insurance and pay for a full year.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 PM

The 2009 bike is proven to be reliable, to me. 2011 although changes are minimal, has not been proven.

Personally I'd go the cheapest route in both respects leaving more cash for those much wanted add-ons!

If you simply must have the newest version and feel the extra grand or 2 worth it??? Go for it! If money is no object then it won't be a factor in your decisions.

A 2009 may be less of an insurance hit due to the date of manufacture and its price. Price out any difference.

Get one of them though, they are great bikes.

The choices are yours to make. Research!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM

buy the 09 and dont look back. its what i did and i couldn't be happier. the savings is well worth it!

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Best bang for buck will off course be the 09, in my view the extra cost of the 2011 does not justify the minor upgrades.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM

get an 09 and use the savings to go the Europe and take a riding vacations. Or buy all the accessories you could want.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
get an 09 and use the savings to go the Europe and take a riding vacations. Or buy all the accessories you could want.
This
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Your insurance sounds expensive, but you don't say what age you are.

My wife is a new rider (but in 40's) and we insured her Versys for around £150.

I would shop around, try the comparison websites - my last bike was a CBF 600 and it was £125 p/yr.

The Versys is a low group bike and should be relatively easy to insure.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had a similar dilemna. Should I buy a new 2010 (the 2011s weren't out at the time) or an earlier model at a lower price. Almost by accident, I came across a lightly used (not new and unregistered) 2008 at a VERY attractive price. I bought the 2008 and haven't regretted it for a moment. The money I saved has gone into upgrades and modifications and I'm happy as a clam. Though you didn't specify what the huge discount is, in my opinion the new 2009 makes good sense. The money you save can then be spent on all sorts of great add-ons. "How is this not a good plan." (Jacapo, The Count of Monte Cristo)

Regarding the insurance decision, if my mathematics are correct upgrading at 250 Pounds for 150 days means you would be paying 1 Pound 67 Pence per day for the change. If you go with the new policy for 320 Pounds, it will cost you 88 Pence per day for a full year, or about half as much per day. Strikes me the new policy is better by far.

Sorry, but my Colonial keyboard doesn't have a Pound Sterling key.

So, there is my tuppence worth. Good luck with the Versys and insurance whatever your decision. Cheers.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Go for the 2009

2009 looks better/more unusual - go for it & grab a bargain. Besides, the new model will be the old model in no time anyway!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM

You answered your own question, "huge discount" as for the insurance your in the UK so I dont know anything about euro rates but it sounds high.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM

I concur - grab the 2009....and I've got a 2010! Almost everything that counts is the same....

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 AM

320 for a full year is banditry, Ive heard of fully comp quotes for less than £100 dependinng on your record, where you live.

I paid £180 fully comp as a 49 yr old first bike rider.
if you are in a 'bad' post code area you will get caned, off road parking helps.
just be very wary going with the very very cheap deals, some of them try to suck you in with attractive deals including discounts for locks, cahins and so on. however there are cases on record where they have refused a claim becuase trhe chain wsan't on the bike.

try devitt, ebike
carole nash tend to be a bit more expensive

play the insurers at their own game
get other quotes then go back to your current insurer and I suspect they will try to match that quote. if the new quote comes in less than £250 then its a no brainer go with a new policy. natch that depends on what sort of risk they perceive you to be. but £320, that more than Ive been quoted for a Tiger 800 £9k list price

PS buy the 2009 version, nto enough differences on the model revamp to offset any discount. kawasakidirect.co.uk used to have some cracking deals on old stock, may be worth checking
motorcyclesdirect.co.uk/kawasaki/versys-2009
that £5k for a bike with panniers. I have my doubts as to whether that bike actualluy exists as they have been offering 'one left' for quite a while. my guess is they want you to talk to them so they can upsell a 2010 or 2011
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 AM

If you are financing the bike (as I did) you may find that the 2009 bike will not qualify as a "new" bike due to it's age. In Sept. 2010 I bought a left over 2009 and my bank had just changed over to 2010 as the oldest for "new" bike loans. They cut me break because it was so close to the change over and if not the interest rate would have been a couple points higher and a shorter term. Just saying, you may want to look into this first. ie.. the 2009 may cost more to pay off in 3 years vs the newer model in 4 years.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
If you are financing the bike (as I did) you may find that the 2009 bike will not qualify as a "new" bike due to it's age. In Sept. 2010 I bought a left over 2009 and my bank had just changed over to 2010 as the oldest for "new" bike loans. They cut me break because it was so close to the change over and if not the interest rate would have been a couple points higher and a shorter term. Just saying, you may want to look into this first. ie.. the 2009 may cost more to pay off in 3 years vs the newer model in 4 years.
+1 on this philosophy

LOP
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Thanks for the responce...

Wow – thanks for all of the responses. To be honest I am sold on the 2009 as it will be on a brand new plate and like said “2011 bike will be old soon”.

On the insurance: I am 34 had my license 1 week, have 1 years no claims built up on my hairdryer of a Honda CBF 125 (but I loved every second). I have scooted around and the £300 mark is about what I am looking at which is hurting as my Honda 125 is only £80.

I nearly fainted when I was told the price for the upgrade to the Versys.

If I change to a 2005 Versys it drops to about £260…
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to say - I am being told it will still qualify for the 0% finance as it hasn’t been registered yet.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Garage
I also had to choose between a deep discounted new 09 or a full cost new 10. The price dif was $2400, so for me it was a no brainer. I got the 09 and I'm very glad I did.

Arion, I'm a little punch drunk from studying all day, but your post, especially "tuppence worth" ! I was laughing my ass off for 10 minutes... that was funny

Always trust your cape.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM

2011 why opt for an old discontinued model if thats the case buy used and save more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
insurance year model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode