Isle of Man TT - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Isle of Man TT

I will be traveling in Europe when the Isle of Man is running. Worth the detour for a 1 day visit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 PM

May 30 to June 10 in 2011.

Haven't been there myself but from watching the TV coverage the past couple years if I was anywhere close I'd sure as heck go!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 AM

If I were you, I would if I could.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 AM

Hell yes!

Make sure you plan ahed.
It's an island, getting to and from it and accommodation won't be easy.
People come from Japan just to see that event.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 AM

Def on my short list of things-to-do when I retire (3 yrs....but who's counting)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You bet you should go! The crowds for the TT are larger than the Manx Grand Prix, (at least it used to be that way) and the MGP draws large crowds meaning island resources can become pretty saturated, but it's still worth the trip.
A single day, however, is going to be pretty tough unless you fly into Ronaldsway airport and rent transport. And you'll miss most of the color and feel of the event. Not to mention being able to see the island (one of the most beautiful places on earth, IMHO) and appreciate the complexity of the Mountain Course - 37 3/4 miles of public roads.
You can take a ferry from either Liverpool or Heysham but you will have to book quickly, especially if you want to travel with a car or motorcycle. I've done both and prefer Heysham a lot more than Liverpool. Much easier to get to. As I recall, the ferry trip takes around 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Finding a place to stay also might be difficult though not impossible. Douglas will be very crowded. Some of the smaller coastal villages should be better bets for accommodations. I've always preferred Port Erin on the southwest coast. It's quaint, and has a good selection of hotels. The Ocean Castle Hotel is nice, or was the last time I was on the island.
Take a look at the Isle of Man Tourist Board website, and make your plans soon. Good luck and enjoy. It's spectacular!
A closing thought: People aspire to different levels of greatness. I've always thought that being Admiral of the Manx Herring Fleet would be a great title to be awarded.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM

What about the Northwest 200 (I think it's called)? My Irish buddy tells me it's much more manageable.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
What about the Northwest 200 (I think it's called)? My Irish buddy tells me it's much more manageable.
Not familiar with that one. Waaay back - late 60s and early 70s - there was a race called the Southern 100 held on the Isle of Man, though it didn't use the Mountain Course. I've no idea if it still exists. It was much more manageable. The Manx Grand Prix would have fit in between the TT and the Southern 100 on the managabliity scale.

In fact, during that era, the IOM was a grand place to be - 3 motorcycle races, plus the Round Island Powerboat Races, plus the IOM Air Races. Talk about never becoming bored on a small island! Not me anyway.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Not familiar with that one. Waaay back - late 60s and early 70s - there was a race called the Southern 100 held on the Isle of Man, though it didn't use the Mountain Course. I've no idea if it still exists. It was much more manageable. The Manx Grand Prix would have fit in between the TT and the Southern 100 on the managabliity scale.

In fact, during that era, the IOM was a grand place to be - 3 motorcycle races, plus the Round Island Powerboat Races, plus the IOM Air Races. Talk about never becoming bored on a small island! Not me anyway.
Here it is. It is held in May in Northern Ireland. My friend prefers it (he doesn't like the crowds of IOM) because it's easier to find accommodations and there is no hassle getting over to an island. The IOM TT is the one I want to see though.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM

If you can go Id go you may never get another chance to see something like that again as long as you live. Plus its a huge party and everybody likes a party right?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
If you can go Id go you may never get another chance to see something like that again as long as you live. Plus its a huge party and everybody likes a party right?
Oh I'm going. I have three years before I retire. My friend is moving back to Ireland this June. It would be nice to have a guide.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
It is held in May in Northern Ireland. My friend prefers it (he doesn't like the crowds of IOM) because it's easier to find accommodations and there is no hassle getting over to an island.
And I thought both of them required the "hassle getting over to an island."
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
All the news on IOMTT.

http://www.iomtt.com/

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

I cleared it with my boss aka wife. Would love to do it on a motorcycle but will be the whole family going. Tentativly will be taking the ferry from Dublin spend the night then the ferry back to Liverpool. Only have so much time and would rather at least spend 1 day than none at all.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
And I thought both of them required the "hassle getting over to an island."
Oh, I get it now. He lives in Ireland.

Love2ridend, he claims those ferries are jam packed and hard to get on.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 AM

If you can then Id suggest going to the TT even for a day
Ferries from Liverpool to Douglas can take around 2:30 so a day trip is possible
suggest you check times and costs on the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co website
http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket
depending on time you can probably catch one of the cataramaran high speed ferries, I think these only work the the Dougals / Liverpool route but I may well be wrong

getting there as a foot passenger should be easy enough to do, I think you will struggle to get a vehicle as well during the TT, but you may well be OK for a single day midweek. as for accomodation, unless you think about booking it right now... forget it.

as the ferry disgorges you in Douglas you wont be far from the action, its about 2 km (around 1.5 miles) from the port.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sa...c:wikipedia_en

yes you won't get the full delights, you will probably struggle to get out to the more spectacular mountain bits, but you've got to trade off what you can against what you'd like to do.

what you could do is agree to separate for the day, you slink off to Douglas from Liverpool and let the family do 'their' thing. I think the ferries from Dublin are old style slow ferries... you may well struggle to get to the island in time to enjoy enough of the TT before you have to catch the next ferry.
http://www.steam-packet.com/steampac...TTBooking.aspx

just a thought....
is go to the island on a catarmaran, borrow a lid from someone over here, quite happy if youi want to take one of mine (and perhaps some gloves) and see if you can blag a lift from someonme on the island to get a feel of the event.. jsutdon't go on 'mad sunday'
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=t...c7276adfd1e0a7

Last edited by healdem; 02-04-2011 at 12:23 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM

I have never seen it live, just on TV, but would love to go watch it.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode