What mods should come first? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What mods should come first?

My brand new '09 Versys is begging for mods...well, once I recoup the cost of the machine herself! But mods will be had!

What should I get first? Engine guards? Hand guards? Luggage options? Performance mods? It's all so confusing to my new-to-Versys brain.

Here's a little about my day-to-day Versys-ness, if that helps: my baby is 70% commuter. I ride to and from work every day, on the surface streets, around 20 miles in Phoenix, AZ. It's cold right now but it'll get very very hot way too soon. 20% would be for touring, which I haven't done yet but I surely will! And the other 10% will be for dual-sporting. Yeah, yeah, the Versys isn't an off-road bike...yada yada...I'll be taking it on dirt roads and some easy trails so accept it.

I'm short. I'm small. The Versys is actually close to too big a bike for me but I love it. I've already dropped it twice; once in the dealer parking lot, day two, mile 25. I was trying to walk it through a sharp turn on a slant. Slow motion drop was assisted by my helmet being strapped to the side, which saved the bike from ALL damage except for a tiny scratch on the engine case. Sweet. After that I got it lowered via a rear spring block and control has been much better. Second drop was super slow mo as I was in the dark, tried to roll the bike forward, caught the kickstand and therefore went to set it down on nothing. I caught it, but couldn't right it so I dropped it in a somewhat controlled fashion. Broke the clutch lever and another tiny scratch on the engine case. Today I added in some Harley Davidson Oxford boots, which add 2 inches to my height and I think I'm golden for now. Riding it around hasn't been a problem at all though.

Anyway, with all this in mind, anyone have their own personal opinions as to what mod to spend my hard earned and tiny lump of cash on first???

Thanks!

--LittleRider (Megan)

LittleRider

"Ad augusta per angusta" ... "To great places by way of narrow roads"

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered" -- G.K. Chesterson

Check out my personal blog at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Take your pick photos on link below or my signature are a good place to start.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Uh, did you get glamor shots taken of your bike? Like did a professional photographer ask your Versys to make love to the camera because the results are stunning! You know those deals where you go in to the pet food store and they offer to take a complimentary photo shoot of your pet? You think they'd mind if my pet is steel and aluminum and weighs 350 pounds?

LittleRider

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered" -- G.K. Chesterson

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM

I started with protecting my V, engine guards, mirror wideners, lowering kit( i dropped it once because of the top heaviness, thank goodness for the engine guards). Then I moved on to performance.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
NYG

LittleRider,
Welcome aboard. I love my factory hardbags--they are Givi's with Versys markings--, and while they were expensive, I've found them to be invaluable. I try to commute as often as possible, but I'm a teacher and I live in upstate NY, so it is a short commuting season. I grocery shop from the V and run errands all the time. It is a different bike with the bags.
My next purchase will be handguards, probably the Barkbusters sold through TwistedThrottle--they have a kit just for the V. Early and late season rides can be rough on the hands. You may not have that problem in Arizona, though.

The bags are really good for a commuter/errand bike. Do a search as many guys on this sight have great softbag setups that look very functional. good luck.

Mike
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRider View Post
Uh, did you get glamor shots taken of your bike? Like did a professional photographer ask your Versys to make love to the camera because the results are stunning! You know those deals where you go in to the pet food store and they offer to take a complimentary photo shoot of your pet? You think they'd mind if my pet is steel and aluminum and weighs 350 pounds?
Managed a photography studio. just added the yoshi slip on and the photographer wanted to take a few quick shots in between a session. You should see what he got with some models he brought in later. The baldwin seat has a permanent smile on it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Garage
Good start would be luggage. Top case or tail bag depending on how much you carry. And from the sounds of it crash bars and hand guards for protection

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I think guards are a good idea. But which ones? That's a whole other posts...or several. But luggage would also do some protecting, no?

LittleRider

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I think guards are a good idea. But which ones? That's a whole other posts...or several. But luggage would also do some protecting, no?
Thats the fun part do a search of handguards or anything your intrested in and you'll find plenty of posts with photos and all the info you could think of. You'll see the word Search in yellow toward the top of the page.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM

i think you should just ride the bike more and it'll tell you what it needs. it has already asked for crash pros. while you're working on that, wait and see what it needs next.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 PM

I think a low gel seat might be in order
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 PM

Stumbled on this article recently,
almost broke my nose

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Pr...10-best-parts/

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 AM

Battery tender and flatfoot are all that's on mine right now. Coming up - soft luggage, handguards and a Madstad WS bracket. If the Madstad doesn't quite do the trick on it's own I'll add a larger screen, too.

If I keep the bike for more than a couple of years I'll probably go to hard luggage. I've been known to get bored and swap things pretty often.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

RIDE MOD FIRST- That is you ride the bike for sometime before deciding which direction you want the farkles to be.

The Givi/KAWA side bags are very useful and gives a good look on the bike, so that will the only thing I can think as a must, like its part of the bike.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Mine went something like this -

1-GPS mount and hardwire
2-Ciggarette lighter outlet
3-Heated grips
4-Soft luggage
5-Highway pegs
6-Taller windshield
7-Handguards

Next-Radio.

First 5 were within the first month or so. Handguards and windshield just added this fall for more winter riding protection.

Like someone said, ride it and you will soon know what you want. More comfort, more utility, more performance. Plenty of options for sure. Everyone has different thoughts, take the seat for example, some hate it and some find it's pretty comfy. But one thing I think everyone here will agree on is that it is hard to beat a Versys at it's pricepoint.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 AM

Put at least a thousand mi. on it before you spend a nickle. Not just commuting either: Try a long day in the saddle, a weekend trip, perhaps a camping trip. It will be very apparent then what you need. For me it went like this:
Saddle ...............The OEM just didn't cut it for me
Peg lowering ........Too tall
Taller windshield....see above...
GPS.....................I feel naked w/o it (gadget freak....I know...)
Throttle lock.........Too lazy
GIVI bags.............Tripled the versatility of the bike.
Hugger.................You'll see why after the first big rain storm
fenda extenda........Your radiator will love you for it

Beyond that the rest is, to me, fluff.

Now that I read through your profile, I see you began riding last year. While I DON'T like to preach, I found the MSF advanced Rider Course well worth my time. While it V is a solid bike which is very intuitive to ride, it can getcha in trouble in a New York Minute (my 'moment' was due to overconfidence). Sermon over

Above all, enjoy !! The V people on this forum are THE BEST. And I've been on many.

Last edited by Jdcooper; 02-02-2011 at 06:19 AM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:23 AM

Welcome aboard, Megan.

My '08 came with Givi V35 hard bags installed by the previous owner. They are excellent and I pretty much always ride with them on, so I can see where you'd be happy with those.

Since I live in New England, my first mods included ways to stay warm...heated grips and a power port for my heated jacket liner. I added driving lights for some extra night vision and to be better seen by others. Since my other bike has a GPS cradle, I put one on the Versys as well. Those farkles and a number of others have been great for me, but what about for you?

The advice about riding your bike a while to help you decide what it needs is good advice. Don't go adding things because someone else does. (Cue your mother with, "Just because someone else jumps off a bridge...")

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM

I'm pretty much in agreement with the other posters.
  • Ride the bike
  • Take note of things that irritate you
  • Address the irritations
That will get you the most bang for your buck.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Megan, a lot of these guys consider Givi panniers de rigueur. i'm not one of them, i roll with a topbox and soft saddlebags. but to answer your question, they do provide crash protection. two birds, one stone....

you didn't mention it, but the front end was lowered, along with the rear, to keep the handling intact, yes?

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 02-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM

My first was spacers on the motor mount tabs to prevent them from cracking. Next up would be a 16 tooth sprocket up front. Welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode