Music while riding? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Music while riding?

I'm using an I-pod Shuffle with helmet mounted speakers, the shuffle is velcro'd to the left cheek on the outside of the helmet, all wires are stuffed behind the helmet liner. It's a very clean and simple set-up. But after many years of the same 1000 songs, with only adding a few new ones here and there, frankly I'm sick of it.

I'm really liking my Sirius Sat Radio in the truck and am wondering about how something like that would work? I don't want external speakers and would probably go with a handlebar mounted unit with bluetooth to the helmet. Anyone doing anything like this? What's you're set up? I undertsnad these are not weatherproof and would have to be stowed in bad weather.

What about just an FM radio? Anything out there that would work with a bluetooth headset and on the bike? Any MP3 player with a built in radio and bluetooth?

I've been told that the I-phone could download a Sirius Sat App and work for what I want but that would require a monthly phone data plan, plus a subscription to Sirius. This would solve the Bluetooth problem and could also function as an MP3. But the lady said the data usage for hours on the bike listening to Sirius would be large. It would be pretty cool to access the weather each day on a trip too...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Get the Pandora app. It's free and for music, a lot the same format as satellite. I have it on an Iphone but, I think it's probably available on other smart phones also.

2009 Faster Green One
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 AM

I've also been thinking of putting my sirius radio on the bike. The suction cup seems to mount very well to the windshield. I think that would be the best place to mount it. The only part I'm unsure about is converting it to bluetooth. I think you can plug headphones right into the back but I haven't tried that yet.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
I've also been thinking of putting my sirius radio on the bike. The suction cup seems to mount very well to the windshield. I think that would be the best place to mount it. The only part I'm unsure about is converting it to bluetooth. I think you can plug headphones right into the back but I haven't tried that yet.
you can do the sirus radio or one of those subscription radios through a garmin zumo 550 not sure about other models

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A Garmin GPS unit might be of some help to your problem, though I personally dont hear to music while on ride.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Being necessary to block out the droning of the Two Bros pipe, I use some of the plug-style ear buds and Pandora on my iPhone. If I'm somewhere in the boondocks where there is no service, I use the iPod function of it. It's illegal to have both earphones worn in WA, so helmet speakers make a close second.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 AM

I use earbuds with a XM radio in my tank bag, works great.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Good music not good for my health, as the better it is when riding, the faster I seem to go
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM

I put the speakers next to the windshield,waterproof radio on the dash. Great sound up to about 85mph then the wind noise makes the music background noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 056.jpg (976.4 KB, 145 views)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm with Kiwi. I used to have a certain mix cassette a GF made for me (yes, back in tape cassette days) that got me pulled over several times in my cage. I managed to escape without tickets but eventually realized that cassette had to go when I looked down one time and was WELL over 100 mph on a long, lonely stretch of road. That GF was long gone and the cassette went into a camp fire before it cost me big bucks.

Anything with a good up tempo beat is likely to cause excessive acceleration and points on my license.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
I'm with Kiwi. I used to have a certain mix cassette a GF made for me (yes, back in tape cassette days) that got me pulled over several times in my cage. I managed to escape without tickets but eventually realized that cassette had to go when I looked down one time and was WELL over 100 mph on a long, lonely stretch of road. That GF was long gone and the cassette went into a camp fire before it cost me big bucks.

Anything with a good up tempo beat is likely to cause excessive acceleration and points on my license.

I hear ya. You just have to pick you're music accordingly. Soothing relaxing songs in the city traffic and some upbeat in the twisties...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I think I'm gonna go this way, seems pretty simple and not too expensive compared to some options.

http://shop.xmradio.com/xm/ctl10600/...nvehicle_radio

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BluBridge-mini-jack-Transmitter-Headphones/dp/B002HHLOWC

Looks like I can stick the XM Snap into my cigg outlet, plug in the antenna and the bluetooth mini jack and I should get music in my bluetooth helmet speakers, maybe. And then when it's raining I can stow the entire unit in a dry box in the tank bag with the camera.

I was gonna go the I-phone route, but our phone contract isn't up for another few months, so no new phone in the near future.

Mike
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM

I think I'll stick with the mp3, just buy new songs for the money I'd spend with Sirius radio. When I had it in the car I nearly wore out the presets changing channels. Shuffle works for me. I also agree with Kiwi, be careful to keep an eye on the speed when you drown out the motor completely.

My Album:
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Well I was all set to go, was gonna order the XM Snap, called XM, and the $39 price was with a two year subscription. How much is that? $220??, what?
That wasn't happening. How much for a year? A hundred something but then the Snap cost $59. I bailed. I got it my truck, but that is free for one year and I had no idea how much a subscription was. Looks like I better enjoy it while it lasts...

So now I'm leaning towards a radio with MP3 capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popotwins View Post
I put the speakers next to the windshield,waterproof radio on the dash. Great sound up to about 85mph then the wind noise makes the music background noise.
What radio is that and where did you get it? Thanks.

Mike
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM

I use a shuffle and I bought the FUZE Custom Earphones, They're GREAT !!!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post

If songs like 'born to be wild' or 'bad to the bone' go through my head while riding i transform into the rebel without a cause and my licence is at risk, Ive got problems with no self control so have not listened to music while riding for a while but will write into DR Phil and i sure after a couple of sessions he can fix me.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-30-2011 at 06:36 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM

I got the radio and speakers off e bay ($12.00). It is a waterproof with mp3 input and earphone output,it came with speakers but throw them away. The radio was a no name brand the speakers are 300 watt pyle ($45.00)they are also waterproof.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 PM

I Pod Shuffle maxed out

I have my IPod shuffle just about maxed out in amount of songs . I never tire of my oldies since i have them played at random I never know what the next song will be.

04 Triumph Bonneville 904 SE
08 Suzuki B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Vietnam 1969-1971
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 PM

OK...I'll be the first poster in this thread that considers "music" to be a distraction that affects rider safety. For those who need this to muffle the noise of their load pipes...get quiter pipes.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
OK...I'll be the first poster in this thread that considers "music" to be a distraction that affects rider safety. For those who need this to muffle the noise of their load pipes...get quiter pipes.
I have never listed to music since i got my slip on Arrow. That is the kind of music I like at least for now.

04 Triumph Bonneville 904 SE
08 Suzuki B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Vietnam 1969-1971
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popotwins View Post
I got the radio and speakers off e bay ($12.00). It is a waterproof with mp3 input and earphone output,it came with speakers but throw them away. The radio was a no name brand the speakers are 300 watt pyle ($45.00)they are also waterproof.
I found them, the ones from China? Looks cheap enough. Did you ever test the waterproofness? Is there a place to mount an external antenna? Do you have one mounted? How is the reception? I don't want the speakers, going to stream the noise to my helmet speakers via bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
I know there are some that feel the way you do. It's just a personal choice I guess. To wear a helmet or not... to wear street clothes or MC gear... I will agree 100% with you for a new rider just learning to ride, too much to think about. Some feel the same way about GPS too.

I have stock exhaust, like to keep it stealthy and I can hear my music better.

Nowhere near as a destraction as talking or texting on a cell phone while driving. I think if it was a real concern they wouldn't have radios in cars?

For me, I've been riding for over 30 years, so trust me when I say all controls are instinctual. Mind you, you must still be alert and not falling asleep, but there is no time lapse for the mind to remember what to do. (like someone who is just learning).

I've been using my Shuffle for mountainbike racing for many years as well as racing Enduros and Harescrambles. All these I feel require more alertness than riding a street bike on the road. I think I'll be OK. I think if I crash it won't be from listening to music, more likely a case of going too fast.

In the case of Kiwi it could be a saftey concern not from a distraction point but from a motivational point, makes him want to go faaaaasssster.

Life is made up of choices - I choose to ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode