Will I get bored on a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Will I get bored on a Versys?

Hi,

I've been reading as much as I can about the Versys. Here as well as everywhere Google takes me when I enter "Kawasaki Versys Reviews". I am shopping for my next ride. My 5th. I owned a 1991 Ninja ZX6, a 1996 GSX-R 750, a 2003 DRZ-400 SM and a 2003 Z1000. I know I still have the bug in me to get a kick out of my ride but at 36 yo with a wife and 2 kids; I don't expect the same of my motorcycle as I did 15 years ago. I am a skydiver and plan on mixing that passion with the other: Riding a motorcycle. That means carrying my gear to the Drop Zone. Also, I plan on going for rides with the wife or the kids. Finaly, I plan on comute to work with the bike wich is a 5 klic ride one way. So far, the Versys sounds great. Here comes the scary part: I am 5.8 and 175 lbs. I feel small on the versys. I read a lot of comments about the Versys being great for tall riders. I'm not! Also, I am still debating between the ninja 650r and the Versys. I feel "at home" on the ninja. Maybe because I am more used to that style of bike. I owned a DRZ-400 wich is not a "sport" motorcycle but it is not as touring as the V.

Will I get bored on the Versys compared to the ninja 650r? On the ninja, my feet are flat on the floor and it "feels" sportier. I read a lot of versys reviews that stated that the V was a snappy bike with lot's of torque and that it handled the twisties well...

What do you Versys experts have to say about that?

N.B. I would put GIVI's cases on either bikes to carry my stuff. Probably Trekker on the versys and V35 on the ninja.

Thanks.

MadMat11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM

It depends on you....The bike is fine. We all get bored....But there is a real cost for change.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM

Sounds like you might prefer the 650R, it's definitely sportier, aka faster. But, there are faster sportbikes, so you'll be bored eventually, if speed is your thing. Get a liter sportbike, it won't leave you wanting more.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Rik

I've been riding for over 35 years. I've owned more bikes than I can count from the big 4 Japanese manufacturers. 7 Harley Davidsons and brit bikes including Royal Enfields, BSA's and three of the "NEW" Triumphs (speed triple, Thunderbird Sport and Adventurer) I may have attention deficit disorder : ) The Versys has kept my attention since June 2008 when purchased (a long term committment for me) It is in my opinion a "do all" bike. Fast when you want it to be, handling is EXCELLENT and if you just want to kick back and enjoy the ride it does that as well. I guess I'm hooked and honestly can't say I would get rid of it anytime soon.....one mans opinion that many on this site would agree with. hope this helps
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi Madmat, I am also 5'8 and have done 17,000 km on the v and coming up soon is my 3rd track day. Height is fine with me as the v is such a nimble bike but it is not the power or acceleration of a liter bike but my v does keep up with liter bikes on tight parts of the track or very twisty roads with ease but cannot go 250kph plus on straights as v is tapped out at 190kph on mine.

Phil

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-26-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 PM

Garage
Madmat, I'm 5'8" too. Came to the Versys off a Ninja 250. Took a little time to get used to the hieght, but it is not a factor anymore. I'm loving it. Sounds like a good fit for the uses you describe.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM

I'm 5'8" too. I came fom a dirt and Dual sport background, so the Versys is one of my lowest bikes I've had.

When I got mine I went to the dealer and test rode the Versys, did about 15 miles (if I remember correctly). When I got back to the dealer I took the Ninja out for a test ride. It only took 3 miles on the Ninja to know which I liked. I took the Versys along home with me that night.

Power delivery is very different between the two, I liked the Versys better, seemed smoother, but not as quick.

Possition is more upright on the Versys and this suited me better, since I was used to dirt and DS bikes.

Suspension - this was the clintcher - Pennsylvania is known for some pretty poor roads, (just ask any Harley rider) and the Versys makes the ride enjoyable. The Ninja wasn't near as smooth.

The Versys is fast and quick enough for this old man, and I put in more miles and feel comfortable doing it. I do miss my off road riding I used to do with my DS bikes and am considering setting the Versys up more in that direction, or maybe a Tiger 800XC....

I jumped out of a plane once... My wife got me an AFF course for my 40th birthday, wanted to take the sport up after that, but the local airport shut down and they moved the DZ too far away to be practicle. But it was a great experience I will never forget. I took up Powered Paragliding after that. Earned my PPG2 rating and then moved on. But I miss that and will someday fly again.

Mike
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your inputs! To respond to Element, speed is not my thing anymore but my concern is the ''fun factor'' availability If I want some. From I read so far, I won't miss that on a versys. I think Windwalker has pointed me the solution. I will wait for spring and go test ride the 2 and compare. The answer will probably come by itself. I just wanted to get the riders feel of the bike compared to others.

Feel free to add thoughts to this discussion!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat11 View Post
Thanks everyone for your inputs! To respond to Element, speed is not my thing anymore but my concern is the ''fun factor'' availability If I want some. From I read so far, I won't miss that on a versys. I think Windwalker has pointed me the solution. I will wait for spring and go test ride the 2 and compare. The answer will probably come by itself. I just wanted to get the riders feel of the bike compared to others.

The only problem you are going to have when riding the versys especially after some tight twisty roads is wiping the silly grin off your face like you have been taking drugs and this is not a joke.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat11 View Post

OK Madmatt
I had a 08 Versys that was totally tricked out as you can see. LOVED the bike. But somehow I got it in my head that I needed more power. So I found the perfect sv1000N and tricked that out. Loved the SV but got bored with it (you see everybody gets bored. Some more than others). Last year I decided I needed a more sportier bike but not too big and found the perfect 09 650r and yes you quessed it.... tricked that out. Unfortunately I found myself never completely comfortable on the 650r . Why, I have no idea. However, I did discover how sweet that 650 motor is. Then, the light bulb in my head went on. I need another V. It fits me perfectly (5'7" 180lbs). I like tall bikes. It did not take me very long to sell the 650r and find my 09 V.
Everyone is different. I have loved riding all these bikes but at some point you have to admit to yourself when it's time to stop searching for the perfect bike. It doesn't exist. But the V comes pretty darn close. Best of luck with your decission and ride safe. Hope this helps.

Last edited by josh; 01-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM

I guess you would if you just kept it in your garage and looked at it.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:16 PM

I don't see you getting bored on the V. Based on the bikes you have owned in the past, I think the Versys would be a nice blend of everything you liked about your past bikes. The 650R is a great bike, but with the V, I think you have more potential for the bike to fit whatever mood you are in.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 PM

I don't care what the vehicle is, if you drive it over the same roads day after day after day it will get boring. The vehicle is just that, a vehicle. What makes it exciting is what you do with it. If you get a versatile vehicle you have a wider range of things you can do with it. Plan on doing 100% pavement? Get the Ninja for the familiarity. Want to mix in some dirt/gravel? Then the Versys is probably the best answer.

My 2 cents.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Mat,
i'm 5'7" and 155#, i have no problems with the versys (inseam 32"). flatfooting is overrated. i think the engine config gives versys a low CoG, compared to other tall bikes. with your experience, you'll be fine, no worries.

for reference, my bike experience is HawkGT650, Transalp 600, VFR800, so mostly small bikes. so, i may be biased that way, but still, i doubt you'll get bored. in fact, despite the fact that i lust for 1000cc's, i think there's something devilishly fun about thrashing a smaller motor that you can't get away with on a big bike. the Hawk was my fave, small, narrow, light. versys has the light part. i can work with the rest.

if you check my forum history, you'll see i'm not a versys cheerleader. when i post in threads like this, i'm usually the voice of dissent. but in your case, i think the job description pretty clearly calls for the versys. carrying piles of crap. non-warp-drive joy rides on the way to work. 2up. yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
I don't care what the vehicle is, if you drive it over the same roads day after day after day it will get boring. The vehicle is just that, a vehicle. What makes it exciting is what you do with it.
Kimel, i'm gonna agree and disagree at the same time. i pretty much drive the same 8-mile lap every day, my versys has seen little else. but i ain't bored yet! there's something about that chicane, er, traffic circle....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 01-27-2011 at 01:07 AM.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 AM

Unless you are a professional racer, I doubt you will ever push a Versys past it's design envelope. I have had all of the current Sportbikes Liter bikes as well as 600cc Sportbikes. And all I can say is it is more fun to ring a 600's neck than it is to ride all day in third gear on a liter bike. most of the Current Liter bikes will do 100 mph in First gear.

And you also said you wanted a commuter and a 2 up bike, The Versys is perfectly suited for all of those task.

I ride with all Sport bike guys in AR, Gsxr's Busa's Etc all the big Hp bikes. Guess who is always leading, Me the lowest Hp bike of all.

If you are looking for some great HP, that is smooth and commute on as well as 2 up then my suggestion is go with a 1250 Bandit. It has stump pulling torque right off the bottom, and will cruise in the 130-150's all day with out breaking a sweat.

I had to get rid of mine just because of that, it was so smooth you did not realize you were in the triple digits most of the time.

BTW I am on my Second Versys. After I sold my Bandit and my CBR600RR i had $12k in cash in my pocket for a new bike. I looked at everything and decided it was the most fun bike I have ever had, so there is an 09 in my garage right now. I foolishly sold the first one thinking I needed more HP and got the Bandit. I will take a light flickable bike over Hp any day of the week.

For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a better bike than the Versys.

Here is a short list of some of the bikes I have owned in the past few years:
03 Honda BlackBird
05 Honda GoldWing ABS
06 GSXR 1000 Red/Blk
06 GSXR 600
06 FJR1300A
06 DR650SE
06 CBR1000RR
07 CBR600RR
07 ST1300 ABS (used)
06 KTM 450EXC Plated
06 DRZ 400SM (used)
01 Kawasaki Concours (used)
07 CBR 600RR (Yes I bought another one)
08 Kawasaki Versys
06 GSXR 1000 Blu/Wht (used)
08 Suzuki SV650S (used)
05 Yamaha YZF600R (Track Bike) (used)
06 CBR 600RR (Track/Street) (used)
08 Bandit 1250S
09 Versys (used) (Current)
07 FZ6 (Current)
02 DR650 (Current)
01 ZR-7s (Current)

just my $.02 worth of useless knowledge

Todd
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
Unless you are a professional racer, I doubt you will ever push a Versys past it's design envelope. I have had all of the current Sportbikes Liter bikes as well as 600cc Sportbikes. And all I can say is it is more fun to ring a 600's neck than it is to ride all day in third gear on a liter bike. most of the Current Liter bikes will do 100 mph in First gear.

Todd
What Todd has said in above i 1000 % agree with, had a conversation with a guy who was high up in Suzuki a few years ago, used to race and work in professional pit crews as well and he told he could not understand the need for liter or the high HP bikes as most people will not even tap into some of that power unless they like losing their licence.

He also went onto to say that in NZ ( i know that's is not relevant to other places as some kiwi's will disagree)it is a waste of time that much fire power considering our roads and a lack of tolerance by the cops for speeds and advised me around the 600cc class would be more than enough to get me in trouble (this was before i got back into bikes 3 years ago).

Have ridden with some of those high end bikes and as long as I get to the start of a twisty hill first they will not over take me until a straight road on the other side and that includes a 2010 busa. my .50 cents

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Versys is one of those bikes you should try, then you will love it or not. I think you wont be disappointed.

Versys
Poland
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 AM

yeah bored but it's not the fault of Versys. it's me that got a klx250 for off-road fun

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
Here is a short list of some of the bikes I have owned in the past few years:
quite a list! so, that's how many bikes per year? years/months per bike?

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM

I'll add my "acknowledgement" to all the others. I've owned some of the biggest and fastest made. To name a couple....2002 ZX12R, 2001 CBR XX. I recently retired from outboard drag-boat racing. The bike before my my V was a klr650. Am I getting bored with the V? Well, maybe, just maybe on occasion when that 100mph first gear on-the-back-wheel g-force CAN'T be had, but......, I quickly get over it after the first 50 miles pile on and I'm still comfortable, stop at a gas station and top it off with ONE gallon, drag pegs with a couple of kids {and stay with them} through a couple of twisties, stop in to my Agent and pay my full-coverage insurance policy in one payment for a total of $325.00, take a shortcut down a dirt road just because, then go back and get the wifey and cruise the Berkshires, pack a lunch and a few other goodies in the CorTech Tri-bag system, and not have her complain about the comfort factor {in fact, she loves it}. Nope...I'm not bored...

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode