Versys Replacement - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys Replacement

I may have just found the replacement for my Versys ( in a few years)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/2011_Bikes/...nner_Intro.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM

It's actually a re-bodied VFR800, and unless something has changed we aren't getting them in the states.

Does look pretty neat, but I'm afraid it doesn't have anything to back up the looks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Does look pretty neat, but I'm afraid it doesn't have anything to back up the looks.

What don't you like about the VFR800?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 AM

This would be my choice for Versys replacement

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Was looking at getting the 800cc twin GS before i got the v but the bmw to pricey for me.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM

This is the only replacement in my mind for my V. Not likely I'm coming up with 20k for a bike anytime soon, but one can dream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011_Ducati_Multistrada_1200SSportEdition.jpg (15.5 KB, 1795 views)

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 AM

If Honda really wants to join the ADV touring market then they need to ditch the 17-inch front wheel and go with the standard dirt oriented 19-inch front wheel of the BMW GS class and the Triumph Tiger XC. As buyer looking for this type of bike Id go with something I have to do less mods on to get it more dirt orientated. As all of us V riders know it can be done with 17 inch wheels but it takes a lot of modding, time and $$. I love Honda and think that out of all of the jap bikes out there they have the best power plants both on reliability and in ease of working on the bike but this thing looks like a asphalt sport bike not a true ADV touring bike. My 2 cents.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm holding my breath for the newly announced KTM 800 Adventure.
Or to see how the new 800 Tiger turns out.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Yea Im with you Ivan but I do hear that Honda is coming out with a true ADV touring model to the states soon. Im hoping to get a couple more years out of the V so we will see.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
This is the only replacement in my mind for my V. Not likely I'm coming up with 20k for a bike anytime soon, but one can dream.
NO, YOU ARE WRONG, a DUC must be red.

Funny, I didn't even notice the pic of the one I posted isn't the "S" version. It most definitely would have the upgraded suspension.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU

Last edited by DennisD; 01-23-2011 at 10:07 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM

For me I will stick with the great V because while owners of the Duke, BMW, KTM or Triumph are making there monthly payment to the bank, I will be using the money to tour the country on my V and enjoy every second of it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
NO, YOU ARE WRONG, a DUC must be red.

Funny, I didn't even notice the pic of the one I posted isn't the "S" version. It most definitely would have the upgraded suspension.
The Duc MS1200S is as beautiful as any bike I have ever seen, but at 23k with bags(which is what it would cost in my area) It's a no can do for me.

The Crossrunner in concept is an upgraded Versys, and VFR which would be perfect for what I want to do.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM

I'm going to wear the V out before I worry about a replacement. Don't see anything better, just faster and more expensive. I can't imagine I could ride a 150 horsepower motorcycle and not get speeding tickets!

My Album:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
I may have just found the replacement for my Versys ( in a few years)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/2011_Bikes/...nner_Intro.htm
Be SURE to get the faster RED one!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
If Honda really wants to join the ADV touring market then they need to ditch the 17-inch front wheel and go with the standard dirt oriented 19-inch front wheel of the BMW GS class and the Triumph Tiger XC.
that's kind of the point. versys, xrunner, multistrada are not ADV bikes, they are 'standardized' sport-touring bikes. xrunner is an upright vfr, not a Honda GS. people who compare the 17/17 bikes with the 19/17 and 21/17 bikes are comparing apples to oranges to mangos. if adventuring is on the agenda, 17/17 should not be on the menu and 19/17 is questionable, depending upon the machine -- see "rough roads" thread.

wow, you *are* stuck in 19 today, huh? XC has a 21" front

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Plenty of replacements. But none you currently own free and clear like your Versys

Last edited by josh; 01-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Plenty of replacements. But none you currently own free and clear like your Versys
Free and clear means more funds available for gas and tires!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 PM

I'm a newbie to th Versys, and haven't really even had a chance to ride it yet, but here is my opinion....

I would love to have a GS800...I covet one, have ridden them, and they (I believe) are my perfect bike.......HOWEVER, they are pricey, and need their fair share of mods just to make them dirt capable. I feel like if I'm paying over 10k for a new or near new bike, it shouldn't need suspension or fork mods or changes to be good. The maintenance and parts prices for BMW's are silly money, but some day I will sip the koolaid.

I looked and read about the Triumph, has potential, but I have zero dealer support anywhere near me, and as a new model, I shied away.

I almost bought two or three V-stroms, and probably would have been happy, but they are just kind of boring.

In comes the V. It will be similar to the F800, only a little less dirt worthy but a tone less expensive. I have dirt bikes. I can ride them off-road and love to do that. I can put super motard tires and wheels on them and fart around all I want, and even hit the track when I want.

The V will get me out farther, with more comfort and ability than the DRZ will comfortably. I think it is a super choice, and from what I read around here before I purchased, everyone enjoys their V.

Isn't that what it's about? Enjoying the ride!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
that's kind of the point. versys, xrunner, multistrada are not ADV bikes, they are 'standardized' sport-touring bikes. xrunner is an upright vfr, not a Honda GS. people who compare the 17/17 bikes with the 19/17 and 21/17 bikes are comparing apples to oranges to mangos. if adventuring is on the agenda, 17/17 should not be on the menu and 19/17 is questionable, depending upon the machine -- see "rough roads" thread.

wow, you *are* stuck in 19 today, huh? XC has a 21" front
+1
And anything over about 300lbs is just a tank for true offroad. Dirt roads are one thing, single track is another.

There are always a handful on the other user forums wanting to swap out their 19's for 17's because they handle so much better in the twisties.

IMHO, if you wanted a great standard roadie the Versys is on target.
The adventure bikes are all fine, but you're talking twice the money and they don't go any better on road. In fact, probably not as well. I dunno, I've never ridden a F800 nor the new Tiger. A lot of guys buy them things for dirt and find out they're horrible at it.

The Honda is interesting. Cool looking bike, definitely. I'll bet it will be at least six grand less than a 'strada, or about the same as a S10.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode