Sigma 1609 Bicycle Speedometer - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sigma 1609 Bicycle Speedometer

After reading an article on Canyon Chasers last night. I ordered a bicycle speedometer on the Aerostich web site last night(I had no idea how accurate they are). I am tired of never knowing exactly how fast I am riding and after paying for a $454 plus traffic school speeding ticket it just seems like a smart move.
I am trying to figure out how to attach it to my upside down forks. I decided against finding a wireless sensor as I am not sure if my electronics would interfere with its signal. So if anyone has any experience installing the sensors on a Versys Please speak up would like to hear your thoughts
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 06:07 PM

I don't have an answer, but the stock gearing has the speedometer optimistic by as much as 5 miles per hour. So if you are stock, you're actually traveling slower than you show on the speedometer. Unless you are mentally compensating, the speedometer should actually help you not get a ticket. Make sense? Plus I wouldn't want a bicycle computer on my motorcycle, wireless or not. Just my 2 cents.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 PM

I've been using Sigma bike computers on my motorcycles for several years and they're great. Takes a little time to get them calibrated just right but it's worth the trouble and expense. But I've not put one on the Versys because I went with the 16 tooth counter sprocket and it makes the speedometer almost dead accurate so it's not worth it for this particular application.
What I've done in the past however is just make an L shaped bracket to attach the pickup sensor to. Then zip tie the bracket to the fork. The bracket should be light enough metal that you can bend it easily to get the right clearance to the magnet. You can attach the magnet to the wheel using a dab of J B Weld or something similar. I don't think you'll have much trouble figuring this out. Good luck.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 AM

Or just use one of the various "Speedo Healer" gizmos out there. That seems easier to me than futzing with a bike speedo.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 AM

The speedo on my late 2010 is very accurate. Ihave checked it against my sat nav and a sat nav app on my iPhone 3G s.
Most bike and car speedo over read most of the time and I don't think another gadget will be the solution.
In the uk we have speed cameras everywhere and the chances of getting a ticket are pretty high. The best solution to speeding is to get some advanced rider training either on a track or road based, and practice your speed awareness. The thing attached to you right wrist is the problem, not your speedo!
I haven't had a speeding ticket in 22 years and I ride almost everyday, and I ride a medical response bike which is similar to police and paramedic bikes here in England. Have a look here www.bloodbikes.org.uk to see what we get upto
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
Or just use one of the various "Speedo Healer" gizmos out there. That seems easier to me than futzing with a bike speedo.
here is one for the versys . http://www.12oclocklabs.com/ You can get it for about 70.00 shipped at mottomummy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 AM

I do alot of mountainbiking and have bike speedos on all my bikes. What use would this have on the Versys? Not trying to be smart, just wondering what it would help? Cause maybe I'll put one on.

Like what was posted, my Versys speedo reads about 5mph faster than I am going. This is probably a help with not getting a ticket. I know this and ride accordingly. I know I can get away with 5 mph over the speed limit, so on the interstate I know I'm safe keeping it below 75 on the Versys speedo. I often ride with my Garmin GPS mounted and I use the speed display on that more so than the Versys.

Mike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Well, you ordered it from aerostich so you can always send it back if these guys have convinced you to go another route. On bikes with the speedo driven from the front wheel the Sigma can answer, but with a computerized speedo I suppose there are better solutions.
If you got the thing and want to make it work, the bracket is the best path.
My old TDM had a very inaccurate speedo, then the needle broke off! I bought a Sigma from 'stich and got it set up (takes some fiddling), then programmed it. Very accurate and I had a KPH display for a tour in BC. Coolness!
The magnet flung off. Had to epoxy one to the wheel. Then a year later,the thing died. I replaced it. A few months later, that one died. Hmm..
Both times it when I was out riding the twisties out of Fossil, strange...
It turns out that I was cooking the pickup as I had attached it to the brake caliper. Most of the time it worked fine, but charging hard and braking to the apex got the caliper hot enough to kill the pickup!
I got a GPS after that, though relocating the pickup with a bracket would have solved the problem I think.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

I wanted to see if the bike computer has the hundreds digit, but I couldn't pedal 100mph!

My Album:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Switch it to KPH and you won't have to pedal quite as hard.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM

With my Sigma I've liked having not only the correct speed but also a couple of other trip meters. Also tells me the average speed, highest speed, etc. Waterproof and shockproof, it's a nifty little device for around $35.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode