Bike prices - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike prices

I live in Canada and am hoping to buy a used versys.

According to the Canadian Blue Book the retail average (for an 08) is $4300 and the retail high is $5300. Despite this the prices I see in the classifieds are about 50% above blue book values. The people I've contacted will usually drop a few hundred but will not sell at anything near the blue book values. For instance the owner of an 08 with 10K km/6K mi lists for $6500 and will only go as low as $6000.

Just wondering what prices are like in other areas. Note the US and CDN dollar are equal value right now. I'm starting to think it would be better to buy in the US and ship it here.

Last edited by Sprocket; 01-16-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:49 PM

Used '08s are going for ~$4k here is the US. New '09s from $4,600 up. Shipping will run you a minimum of $700 I would think, so $4,500 might be a good target price for you if buying in Canada. Do some searching, there's plenty of pricing info on this forum and elsewhere. Good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Please note that imports from the USA are subject to 6% import duty plus HST plus permit fee plus certification plus the exchange (which is really good today!). All of this usually amounts to about 25% above the US price plus transportation.
New 2009's are available for about $6500, all in plus HST, in Ontario.
Good luck.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Is it my imagination or are V prices prematurely up before spring? It's January, shouldn't bike prices be low now? I got my '09 with 6950 miles in August for $3750 including lots of extras. What gives with the noticeable price increase?

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
Is it my imagination or are V prices prematurely up before spring? It's January, shouldn't bike prices be low now? I got my '09 with 6950 miles in August for $3750 including lots of extras. What gives with the noticeable price increase?

Maybe its the price of gas???????

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM

The cost to buy new went up this year....makes our used ones more valuable perhaps. I'm not contemplating selling yet.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by org123 View Post
Please note that imports from the USA are subject to 6% import duty plus HST plus permit fee plus certification plus the exchange (which is really good today!). All of this usually amounts to about 25% above the US price plus transportation.
Good luck.
Are you sure about the import duty. I was told there was only a RIV fee of $200. With free trade there should be no duty. PST and GST still apply on any bike no matter where it comes from.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by org123 View Post
Good luck.
Please PM or post links, thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Maybe its the price of gas???????
...and post-Christmas is pre-season. You want a bike (for Spring)...and sellers know it.
In the fall, sellers would be hot to sell so as to clean-out the garage before the snow falls.
Dealers/manufacturers offer deep discounts on existing stock in the fall and private sellers have to compete with that to move a 'used' bike. Not so in the spring.
Autumn = buyers market.
Spring = sellers market.
IMHO !!!!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 01-16-2011 at 05:43 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I live in Canada and am hoping to buy a used versys.

According to the Canadian Blue Book the retail average (for an 08) is $4300 and the retail high is $5300. Despite this the prices I see in the classifieds are about 50% above blue book values. The people I've contacted will usually drop a few hundred but will not sell at anything near the blue book values. For instance the owner of an 08 with 10K km/6K mi lists for $6500 and will only go as low as $6000.

Just wondering what prices are like in other areas. Note the US and CDN dollar are equal value right now. I'm starting to think it would be better to buy in the US and ship it here.
Keep in mind that
- When comparing US used prices against CDN prices, the MSRP on a Versys is higher than in the US (do they sell for $9k before tax/dealer fees/etc in the US?) and the sticker price of a bike doesn't change with changing value of the dollar. Our MSRP's tend to be quite a bit higher than the US prices for new ones, regardless of the value of the dollar. As such, the seller paid a relatively high retail price, and are still trying to get a decent price for it relative to the original purchase price.
- The Blue Book value is an estimate, and in my opinion it's on the low side. That's one of the reasons why people are advised to sell a bike used rather than trade it in...you will probaby get more for it, as the dealers use the blue/black book values and don't give a whole lot of room.
- Mileage, accessories, etc will all affect the price from the seller's point of view, while the Blue book assumes that all additional "farkles" add nothing to the value of the bike.
- The seller may have a minimum amount they want to get for it, for whatever reason. If it's not met, their mindset may be "If I can't get this amount for it, I might as well keep it".

Ultimately, a bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, regardless of what the "book" says. And unless the seller is motivated for some reason, they have little need to negotiate. If you aren't willing to pay their bottom line, walk away. Either someone else will pay it, or they'll have to adjust their expectations.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Ultimately, a bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, regardless of what the "book" says. And unless the seller is motivated for some reason, they have little need to negotiate. If you aren't willing to pay their bottom line, walk away. Either someone else will pay it, or they'll have to adjust their expectations.

Dave C
I could not have said it better. No matter what you pay for the bike, the best way to get your moneys worth is to ride the wheels off of it. I am amazed at some of the bargains in other areas. You have to ask yourself what's available in your area and how bad do you want it? For me shipping a bike for ~ $700 was no longer a bargain nor is driving 500 miles for a pick up. I ended up paying $300 above blue book for a low mile lightly farkled 08. To me it was worth it. Good luck in your search.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I'm starting to think it would be better to buy in the US and ship it here.
You can find more information about importing a vehicle into Canada at RIV.ca and from the CBSA.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 01-17-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode