Weight carrying question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Weight carrying question

Looking for "Guesses" on safe weight to carry on the V from the 3 passenger peg mounting locations.

What I hope to do is remove the passenger pegs, and their pipe brackets.
Then utilizing the 3 mounting holes, build a large, sturdy set of brackets, to hold cargo, and fuel.

Since the width of the load will add stress, and the bike will be used for long trips, on rough roads, the vibration will be high to.
I have a 5 gallon metal gas can from an old Jeep I plan to put on one side, and a metal box on the other side for cargo.
Approximately 50 pounds per side of load, plus the weight of the brackets and such themselves.
Can anyone tell me in a good guess if the 3 mounting locations can take this okay?

Yes, it will be ugly. But when nearer to home returned to stock.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I can't speak to the strength of the mounting points however I would be concerned with that size fuel container on one side. When its full the weight will be balanced 50 per side...when its empty its going to be very heavy on one side. I would think this will affect the bikes handling significantly. Might be better to split the fuel up using two small cans one on each side. Just my 2 cents...

Good luck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I did consider that, but its easier to carry cargo on one side and fuel on the other. Plus metal gas cans are hard to find here, i have just the one, and wonder where to buy 2 2.5 gallon metal cans so they do not wear thriugh from chaffing, crashes etc.
My last big adventure trip i used plstic gas cans, and they both ruptured on the trip.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 01-14-2011 at 02:48 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 PM

The passenger pegs have to be designed to support the weight of the heaviest anticipated passenger plus a safety margin. If that heaviest anticipated passenger is only 150 pounds then each passenger peg and its mounting points would have to be designed to withstand a minimum of 75 pounds. In actual practice when a passenger mounts the motorcycle their entire weight is on only 1 peg so each must be designed for a static load of 150 pounds. The only concern I think you have is to assure that the mounts you construct are strong enough to not bend and stiff enough to not crack from any vibration the load induces.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Well, not sure if this helps but...

I called a Spring Maker the other day to have a Spring made and Powder Coated Green for my Versys. During that process she asked me how much weight would be on the bike. She said anything over 500 lbs would be best to go with a stiffened spring. Anything less would be fine with the stock. I am not an expert, but she was checking her specifications while I was ordering. I went with the stock settings for the new spring.

Hope this helps you.

Vic
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 AM

I re-read the above. Sorry, I just now realized you were talking mounts.

But hey, if ever decide to get a new rear spring....

Vic
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
I appreciate all input, and yes about the spring to Victrix.
The V has a stiff rear spring, so figure myself at 190, plus all my gear will be about 350 pounds at the most, so it should handle it fine.

Frank
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

cmore, what bike is that, and where was the trip to.
Those are cool photos.

Frank
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
The passenger pegs have to be designed to support the weight of the heaviest anticipated passenger plus a safety margin.
This is your answer. 50 pounds per side is absolutely not going to exceed the abilities of the passenger peg mounting points. No way. My wife is 5 feet tall (or 5 feet short, if you prefer). She loves the Versys, but due to its height, she can only get on by putting her entire weight on the left peg and then swinging a leg across. She weighs more than 100 pounds. I'm not going to tell you how much more than 100 pounds because I wish to maintain my happy home life.

I don't know how much those mounting points can support, but I am fully confident it's more than you plan to put on them.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Check out some info here on carrying spare fuel.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...?topic=40817.0

5 US Gal is quite a heavy fuel load and you should consider safety.

Just my humble thoughts.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
By my calculations with what you have in bike tank plus a 5 US gallon gas tin you could travel 800km or 500 miles most places in the world you should be able to find some fuel in less than half that distance.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

I am carrying fuel for 2 bikes, mine and my friends.
He is in turn responsible for the tent, and camp stove.
Its not uncommon up north to be 300 or more miles between stations, add in a little exploring on the side, and 2 heavily loaded bikes, I would not be comfortable with less than 5 spare gallons.
Also something to keep in mind, is remote stations could be out of gas when you get there, and the next place far away.
While in Alaska in 1994, we saw the sign about next service only 250 miles away.
No big deal, until we got there and they were out of gas.
Without enough to continue on, we had to stay there for 4 days until the truck arrived with more gas. We were not the only ones stuck there either.
Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the comments, and things to consider.
I really do appreciate the input from each and everyone of you.

Frank

Frank
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 PM

not 5 gals but 5 quarts

i have not road tested this yet

but i not sure those peg mounts

would handle 5 gals on rough terra firma
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
i not sure those peg mounts

would handle 5 gals on rough terra firma
Am I missing something here?

Five gallons of gas weighs about 35 pounds, right? He says 50 pounds, counting container. I weigh 180. If I stand up on the passenger pegs, that's 90 pounds per side. They don't break, bend or flex. Why wouldn't those same pegs, subframe, whatever, hold 50 pounds?

I really can't see the problem here, except for maybe a minor effect on handling by having more weight on one side that the other. But if he's riding in country where the next gas is 250 miles away, he's probably not dragging a knee at warp speed, so ultimate handling isn't an issue.

Why are we worried about 50 pounds?

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by motociclista; 01-22-2011 at 08:19 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
Am I missing something here?

Five gallons of gas weighs about 35 pounds, right? He says 50 pounds, counting container. I weigh 180. If I stand up on the passenger pegs, that's 90 pounds per side. They don't break, bend or flex. Why wouldn't those same pegs, subframe, whatever, hold 50 pounds?

I really can't see the problem here, except for maybe a minor effect on handling by having more weight on one side that the other. But if he's riding in country where the next gas is 250 miles away, he's probably not dragging a knee at warp speed, so ultimate handling isn't an issue.

Why are we worried about 50 pounds?
I was fairly certain it was plenty strong, but just wanted to ask.
It seems most agree it should be fine.
Actually as for more or less weight on one side or the other, that has not bothered me in the past on other bikes.
In reality the gas side is probably going to weigh about 15 pounds more when the can is full, and maybe 25 pounds less when totally empty.
I will be leaving the gas can empty for probably 2/3 of the trip, and just filling it when we get to more remote areas, and may need extra gas.
I would rather have a little too much, than not enough gas.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode