Trip to Utah, Texas, Arizona, NM - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trip to Utah, Texas, Arizona, NM

Were planning on taking a trip down to the southern states, driving around texas, arizona, new mexico, nevada. Were wondering about heading down at the end of March and doing a 2 week loop on our bikes. Our plan is too haul our bikes to Salt lake city, but are wondering if the weather that time of year will be good enough?? Anybody with experience with Utah and the other states I listed? Do you think this is still too early in the year?? Any advice on the weather we would expect would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

March in central/southern Texas should be nice riding weather. Maybe a little cool at night & in the mornings, but nice.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 PM

It's not unusual for it to snow in Santa Fe in March & April. I've seen it snow there in May. The temps in the western states are mostly dependent on elevation. The higher the elevation the colder it is. Also the best riding is in the mountains, (at higher elevation), therefore at colder temps. I'd wait until May at the earliest myself.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM

It's a crap shoot...it could do anything in march. Are you coming through Colorado?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

No, was going to take the I15 South from Alberta. Trying to decide if we should hold off another month.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 PM

I live about 30 minutes south of Salt Lake City. In March many of the canyons will still be closed to vehicles and there are so many beautiful rides that will not be accessible. The weather could be sunny and low 70's or snowing. It's not uncommon to get some measurable snow in the valleys that sticks to the roads in April. I'd go later if you can.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 PM

I lived in SLC for along time and yes you rolling the dice. It could snow or not more liklly to snow for this years season. If you can wait alittle longer or change you route it might be the best.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I am in the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. That time of year will most likely be rainy, possibly even snow. We are at 200+% of our snow pack for the year, and have had a lot of very cold weather (cold for us means sub freezing for weeks on end, highs not over the low 20s).

Southern Utah would be sublime, warming up much faster than the north, and deserts mean less likely to rain than up north. The climate varies A LOT in this state, even from day to day. Even May would be pretty unpredictable here. I have seen snow in the valleys as late as end of April/first of May.

I won't be riding that early unless it's a rare day of warm sun.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Elevation changes everything here in the SW. Late March, Northern AZ could be cold and snowy, Southern AZ sunny and beautiful.

Currently, low 70's and SUNSHINE all weekend here!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, I think after your guys input and checking some historical weather data we are going to delay our trip by about 6 weeks and leave around May 6th. The odds of good weather should be a lot better hopefully.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

It'll be quite a bit warmer in Texas in May, but definitely good riding weather. Enjoy your trip!!

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:17 PM

Whatever you do, don't miss Zion Ntl. Park Utah. There are many more. Any particular reason for making Texas?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
We head back UP I-15 to Alberta in early April each year. SEVERAL times we've been in heavy snow in southern Utah. AZ is good then, though...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Were only picking Texas and area because we have never been down there before. If any of you have any must see things or highly recommended roads, I'm all ears!! We'll likely make it to NM, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and southern California.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw9 View Post
Were only picking Texas and area because we have never been down there before. If any of you have any must see things or highly recommended roads, I'm all ears!! We'll likely make it to NM, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and southern California.
What part of Texas? And how long do you plan on staying?

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 AM

Cadillac Ranch is in Texas. I was there with my ZRX.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
Quote:
If you're coming all the way down I-15 to catch I-10, you might jump off in San Bernardino and do Rim of the World Highway at Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead. If you're just coming down to Barstow to catch I-40, well I haven't done much up there yet, so can't help you...

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

We will be in the area for about two weeks, any part of Texas is open right now. We are just starting to compile the things we want to see. We want to make sure we see the best it has!

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
We will be in the area for about two weeks, any part of Texas is open right now. We are just starting to compile the things we want to see. We want to make sure we see the best it has!
Ok, as far as central Texas goes, the Hill Country is a great place to ride. I'll PM you some info. Gimme a little time, I'll put something together...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode