Help needed - is this a good deal ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help needed - is this a good deal ?

Hello,

First of all hello all. I have been looking at this forum for some time but just registered.

After much and much debating with myself and changing of my mind I have finally come to the conclusion that the Versys is the bike I want.

I love it !

I found a black 2007 versys with 33700km at a dealer for 3795$CAD + tax (4323$CAD total). I only spoke to the dealer on the phone because I saw that deal on the net and called right away since it was by far what seems to be the best deal I could find through my researches. I can have some financing wich is also cool. The guys says it's never been dropped and is in good shape and clean. I'm going saturday to see the bike and I feel like I have to move quick on this one.

I really like the bike and would really want to buy it.

So what you guys think ? Is this a good deal and what questions should I ask?

It's my first bike and I'm pretty much the only guy I know who cares about motorcycle (I'm kind of on my own with this new hobby hehehe)

Thank you very much !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I can help you get a brand new '09 in Casa Grande, AZ for $4495 plus fees. That's with ZERO miles and your choice of green or blue.
Does that make it worth a trip down?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is Motos Illimitees in Terrebonne Quebec including some warranty coverage on it? It has a rear 130/80-17 tire mounted on the front with fender raised.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasaki/...torcycles_atvs

You can also get a new 2009 for $6150.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kawasaki/...torcycles_atvs

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 PM

I don't know of a better bike you could buy for your first one and I think most on this post would agree. How much stuff comes on the bike? I would try to find one well farkeled. They are all relatively inexpensive.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Guillaume.

My advise: PLEASE DON'T RUSH INTO BUYING.

its a 07 and 33k Km done and since its your first bike, my advice look for a better one.

Wish you all the best. I am too far to be of any real help but you can PM some forum members who are close to you for personal advise.

PLEASE DON.T RUSH INTO BUYING.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 PM

I dunno. That sounds like a pretty steep price for a bike with that many miles on it. I'd be concerned that maintenance was done right and at the proper intervals.

Keep your eyes open for better deals. They are out there.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 AM

I'm with Kimel on the maintenance uncertainty. That said, it is a tough bike and would almost certainly survive a degree of owner neglect. Personally I don't agree that it's a good choice for a first bike, you're much better off with a small dirt bike to learn the dynamics of riding. A bike where by the end of ownership you'll feel like you've mastered it. Nobody ever listens to that advice though. Good luck.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Some final tips and + 10 on Mt. Versuvius comments.

Motorcycle Buying Suggestions for First Time Motorcycle Purchasers
* Author: lyndsey

If youíre looking at purchasing your initial motorcycle ever, you can find a few things that you should take into account. Keeping these ideas in mind will get you on the way to purchasing the motorcycle which is correct for you.

The Engine Size: If you have a particular size in mind, make certain that you are going to be able to handle the motorcycle based on that engine size. Purchasing a bike that is too significant is often times a mistake that several men and women make, and sometimes regret later on down the road. You can find a couple elements that you should take into account when buying a motorcycle which includes how quick the motorcycle will go based on the engine size, and how heavy the motorcycle will be based on the engine size. If youíre not comfortable with a super fast bike, then take into account purchasing one with a smaller engine. If youíre not very strong physically, then a smaller engine might be the most effective bet since a smaller engine often times indicates a lighter bike.

The Cost: Ensure that you buy a motorcycle thatís within your price range. Frequently times people buy bikes which are a lot too costly and they wind up getting in over their heads with regard to paying for it. Instead, find the bikes that very best fit your spending budget and then refine your search from there.

The Brand Preference: In the event you have a particular preference in mind when it comes to the brand or manufacturer, then you ought to almost certainly choose from motorcycles being sold by that particular manufacturer. Once youíve selected numerous diverse motorcycles from that specific manufacturer, and then refine your search with the above factors in mind.

Whenever you take the time to sort by way of the several choices you have when buying a motorcycle, you will increase the chance that youíll get what you would like the very first time around and will not be stuck with a bike that you canít deal with or just canít afford.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much to all for your answers.

I will certainly ask some question about coverage and the maintenance that was done when I go and look at the bike on saturday and I'm gonna make sure I don't make my decision on the spot.

I live in the city and will use the bike as commuter for most of the summer so a dirt bike is pretty much out of question for me. My motorcycle class was pretty extensive (I live in the province of Quebec) and felt ok (not anywhere near mastering though) with the 650 we went out with so I figured I was ok to start up with the versys ( you were right though... nobody listens to that advice hehe).

I know some of you guys will probably think that this is crazy but I would like to take the bike on a Montreal to LA to Vancouver to Montreal trip next september. I probably won't have near enough experience to tackle that challenge with full confidence but I've done some traveling and tackled crazy challenges before in my life and this one seems like one I'm willing to try.

So with all this in mind the deal in subject is no-no ? A brand new versys maybe (even if a bit hard on the budget) would be more suitable ?

Oh and I can't get down to AZ for that sweet deal...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 AM

That sounds pretty high for a bike of that age and if it does have a rear 130/80-17 tire mounted on the front with fender raised it has been used for dirt riding. Id be careful and look around a little.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
Thank you very much to all for your answers.

I will certainly ask some question about coverage and the maintenance that was done when I go and look at the bike on saturday and I'm gonna make sure I don't make my decision on the spot.

I live in the city and will use the bike as commuter for most of the summer so a dirt bike is pretty much out of question for me. My motorcycle class was pretty extensive (I live in the province of Quebec) and felt ok (not anywhere near mastering though) with the 650 we went out with so I figured I was ok to start up with the versys ( you were right though... nobody listens to that advice hehe).

I know some of you guys will probably think that this is crazy but I would like to take the bike on a Montreal to LA to Vancouver to Montreal trip next september. I probably won't have near enough experience to tackle that challenge with full confidence but I've done some traveling and tackled crazy challenges before in my life and this one seems like one I'm willing to try.

So with all this in mind the deal in subject is no-no ? A brand new versys maybe (even if a bit hard on the budget) would be more suitable ?

Oh and I can't get down to AZ for that sweet deal...

Wish you all the best.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Have you considered the 500 Ninja? Bulletproof and cheap and won't scare the sh*t out of you when you pin the throttle. And it'll go coast to coast as many times as you want.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

yeah I've considered the ninja but I figured I would'nt be able to go on backroads and what about the sport stance, would'nt that be a problem on long distance ?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:43 PM

I agree, that's a lot of miles. The 07 model did not come to the US, did not realize they brought them to Canada. Anyway, that's still a lot of miles, probably three or four times what mine will have on it at the same age.

It certainly isn't worn out, but I'd be wanting to get it for half or less than I could get a new one. If it was $2999 I think we'd be more inclinded to say jump on it.

And it certainly isn't worn out, but yes, make sure you can verify proper service intervals, and at that age I would be wanting a fresh valve lash check, and chains and sprockets.

A 130/80 tire on the front was mentioned but I didn't pick up on that in your original post. If it indeed does have one I would walk away from it, only because that type of use is much more abusive than street riding, and you can't verify it's use coming from a dealer.

It's a great bike though. A good one to grow into.

EDIT: BTW, if you have good credit you can get your own financing from your own bank or credit union and buy your bike from a private party or a dealer.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 01-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 PM

ninja

Quote:
yeah I've considered the ninja but I figured I would'nt be able to go on backroads and what about the sport stance, would'nt that be a problem on long distance ?
I would skip the ninja 500(wasnt 2010 the last year)...the 650r can be found used for $3000 & the foot controls can be swapped with the Versys for the same legroom & new handlebars & risers will ease the long mileage days...and your still cheaper than the V & ready to farkle some more(luggage) & if on your backroads you cant clear it on the ninja, the Versys wont either....

you could probably find a real nice ninja 250 for $1500 this time of year..although the brand new special edition 250r is only $4000.....great commuter bikes & they will go all over the country & have a more upright position with plenty of farkle stuff.....

just some options.....whatever you buy have fun & ride safe & take your time if used is your route..buyer beware

Scott
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You'd have to sit on one to see how comfortable it might be for you but it's by no means a hard-core sportbike. When I said dirt bike I meant dual purpose, which is great around the city. But I think I'm in the minority when it comes to thinking a person should start small. If you're naturally athletic and spatially oriented then you could probably start on a gixxer and survive. But if you're looking to develop your riding skills then there's no better way than on a small d/p, something you can crash around on in the dirt (which is a helluva lot of fun too, BTW). Shopping for the bike is a lot of fun, imagining how you'll use it, the adventures you'll have. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Just pointing out he said 33700 kilometers, which is 21940 miles. Doesn't sound excessive for a 3 or 4 year old bike.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM

ninja 400

I forgot you Canada guys get the Ninja 400 this year......
Arizona is right next door to me, how about I go get you 1 of Ed's leftover '09 Versys & you pick me up a green 400 & then we can meet halfway & trade

and Mt Versuvius if everybody started small we would not have all those funny videos of guys ripping across their lawn trying to learn.....fence!!

I'm actually looking hard for a 250 again..fun & they started a class for them @ the track this year

Scott
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 PM

I have the same bike with 45,000 klm's on her. It was purchased new in 08' and can say that there is more than 100,000 left in her. How the previous owner treated the bike is (to me) more important than the klm's. If you can get $500 off it would be a no-brainer. You're pretty close to what's a fair price.

Do what you feel is righ and don't look back, it'll drive you nuts. If it's what you want get it, lifes too short.

Btw, 07' black is the coolest/fastest/most reliable.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks a bunch guys. All your comments will really help. I'll go and look at the bike and ask a ton of questions about the maintenance, take a real close look and try to see if I can lower the price. The upmost with this deal is the low price and financing would be a very good options considering my financial situation (I'm trying to avoid getting too deep in debt)

[QUOTE=60pan;132190]I forgot you Canada guys get the Ninja 400 this year......
Arizona is right next door to me, how about I go get you 1 of Ed's leftover '09 Versys & you pick me up a green 400 & then we can meet halfway & trade
QUOTE]

hehehe that sound like a great idea but right now nobody is riding any motorcycle in this country hehehe oh and that's beside the fact that I can't even ride by myself yet. Here in the province of Quebec it takes a year to get a licence to ride alone... crazy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode