Contour 1400 GPS 1080P HD Helmet Camcorder? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Contour 1400 GPS 1080P HD Helmet Camcorder?

I see a lot of people use the gopro cam but has anyone used the Contour 1400 GPS 1080P HD Helmet Camcorder??

Sells for about $350. Looks a little more streamlined than the gopro and they do offer a water tight housing.

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-GPS-Full-Helmet-Camera/dp/B00426DQ2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294834699&sr=1-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM

I have the previous generation Contour 1080p. They added GPS tracking and the ability to take still pictures to the current version, as well as improving the switches on the back. So on the whole similar enough to make a comparison. I also had a non HD GoPro before buying the contour.

I much prefer the Contour to the GoPro for several reasons.
1. The field of view is more natural on the Contour. I shoot at 720p (saves memory and if you are uploading to YouTube then 1080 does not gain you anything). At 720p the field of view is something like 130', very close the human field of view. The GoPro is almost 180' which produces a very 'fish eye' picture and anything more than 20' in front of you becomes a dot. Note: I think the HD GoPro allows you to select a field of view but I could be wrong

2. It is much simpler to turn on/off. With the GoPro you have to turn it on and forget about it, the Contour I can turn on/off as I see things worth recording.

3. Form factor. The Contour is simply a better looking camera and is not too obtrusive when mounted on your helmet. Folks with GoPros tend to look like TeleTubbies. The box shape of the GoPro does allow you to use chest mounts though which produce nice pictures.

4. In defense of the GoPro, it does produce more vivid and vibrant colors. I've played with the settings on the Contour but have not been able to match the GoPro.

5. Another point of the GoPro is the bubble shaped lens allows you to ride in the rain. Contour is kind of bowl shaped so the rain drops have nowhere to go.

Both are good cameras and each have pro/cons. The Contour gets my nod but I would still like an HD GoPro.

Here is one of my videos where I used both cameras. It should give you a feel for the capabilities of each (remember the GoPro is not HD)

Last edited by alba; 01-12-2011 at 12:09 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I see a lot of people use the gopro cam but has anyone used the Contour 1400 GPS 1080P HD Helmet Camcorder??

Sells for about $350. Looks a little more streamlined than the gopro and they do offer a water tight housing.

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-GPS-Fu...4834699&sr=1-1
The waterproof housing doesn't fit the GPS model-too big.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
The waterproof housing doesn't fit the GPS model-too big.
Yeah found that after I posted....that's bummer but I bet its only a matter of time before they make one that does fit.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

I just found out they are coming out with software for you iPhone or Android phone to link with the Contour GPS so you can change setting or see what the camera sees via bluetooth....I think that just tipped the scales
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Alba, awesome awesome video. Makes me want to go for a ride. Never mind, we're getting 20 inches of snow right now plus my temporary crown popped off and my dentist's office is closed due to the storm.

Last edited by blipco; 01-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have the GoPro HD nice little unit. I'm selling it to one of our employees that does photography and videos at the race tracks in Puerto Rico. I'm looking for something else though. One complaint about the unit is you can hear it rattling in the housing on your videos can be taking out but annoying. Should be simplier to set up and use. Will be buying another camera when i get back to the states but not sure which one.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM

I have the contour without the gps and i like it.They just updated the software that allows you to adjust the video settings so when you hit the hi lo button you have 2 choices

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 AM

The new software supposedly allows up to 32gb memory card and you can get the water tight housing at amazon for http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z7EODK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0ARCFY487J1X5H8EPPXX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 they charge 40 on contours website also with the housing you pretty much can only use the power button and the record button. it says you can only go 10 meters a little over 30 feet here are the specs from the website:

http://store.contour.com/contour-wat...-case-p17.aspx

Specs:
- Only compatible with ContourHD and ContourHD 1080p cameras.
- Compatible up to 10 meters
- Compatible with TRail mounts and/or standard 1/4”-20 mounts

Also the waterproof case does not work with the new contour GPS

I have had a friend who took my contour in the water proof case down to 75 feet for about 30 minutes on a dive and it works perfectly

Link to specs:

Contour Hd Spec

Contour GPS Spec

Last edited by southbark; 01-13-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added spec links
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I got the Contour here is a quick test ride video on my ATV....too cold for the V it was about 10F degrees. http://contour.com/stories/bombardier-test-ride

Last edited by offcamber; 01-15-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode