anyone go from VFR800 to versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
anyone go from VFR800 to versys

HI,
I am very close to trading my 06 Honda VFR800 in for a left over 09 versys. Have probably a week at most to decide. Prior to the the VFR I had an 06 650R that I put 30k miles on. I am tired of the VFR's weight and it also seems to have too many mechanical problems and I miss the 650 engine (and it's mpg). I also have a 07 cbr600rr but I use that on the track and don't want to make any changes to it that would make it better for traveling. Also I need something for riding two-up. My gf and mine combined weight is 250lbs. I am not crazy about the versys looks but have read enough to know that its a winner.

Anyway for anyone that has come from a vfr to the versys what are your thoughts after owning the versys for some period? Any regrets about the switch?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM

No, not me but I understand the VFR engine is one of the most complex you can buy. You'll miss all that with the bullet proof low maintenance Versys. I came off a ZZR1200 super sonic missle to own a Versys and yes, I sometimes miss the power but I never got over 50 MPG regularly on the Big Z. Nor does it have the buzzy-ness of a sport 600. Depends where you are in your life, you may never part with your V. It's no slouch in the twisties I tell ya.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM

you will notice the weight difference, certainly. you will notice the power deficit as well, especially if 2up is a priority. you will have to wring the versys' neck riding 2up.

i had a 1998 vfr800. yes, the gas mileage was a bit lower, mine did usually 45-48mpg. the versys does better with a gallon, but tank range is the same at 200+.

sorry to hear your vfr is a lemon. i never had a v-tech, but i think that's out of the ordinary for vfrs. mine never missed a beat in 44kmi. i've only put 4k on the versys, it's great around town. vfr was better on the road. my backroad miles are limited on the versys, but i've done enough to know the light weight is nice on corner entry. it's like my former HawkGT with high entry speeds. vfr had better stability and obviously was better on the exit.

fairing protection on the vfr is miles better than the versys. turbulence, noise, redirecting rain and wind... all better on the vfr.

the upright riding position on the versys is better for everything except twisties, where that slight forward lean on the vfr is nice.

either one will cruise at hyperlegal speeds on the highway, but the versys will vibrate. i imagine you are familiar with that from the 650r, but i think the versys has lower gearing (stock) so it vibrates more than the ninja.

fit and finish on the honda was far superior (sorry guys, this is a peeve). you may have seen that already, given your bike history.

anyway, if you want this sort of machine, can live with 650 power and 2up is priority, v-strom should be higher up the order than versys. it's much more civilized and plush.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevrider; 01-09-2011 at 10:26 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 AM

I love my Versys but for two up, I would probably have kept my V-Strom.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Sorry to hear your Viffer has been problematic.
Mine never gave me a moments problem, and I really liked it.
I considered getting another one to replace my Gixxer I just sold.
But wanted a more upright riding style, so decided on the V instead.
Since I have a larger, and heavier bike to ride to, this way I can choose my mount, depending on the ride planned.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM

I just bought an 09 Versys, my '99 VFR is on craigslist.

I have owned the Interceptor about 5 or 6 years though not many miles. Also had a drz400 for dirt/gravel for last 10 years, many bikes in the past.

The VFR and Versys are vastly different bikes with ergonomics the biggest obvious difference.

I think my bike requirements are different from yours so not sure my experience is of any value.

What I can say is the Versys seems to be a great 'standard'. Works well on asphalt and should adjust to light duty off-road. The motor is very good, gear ratios are good, suspension is "ok" considering the range of ability.

My hunch is if your looking for a 2-up bike the Versys may be a bit on the small side, both size (wheelbase) and engine, you may need to consider how much 2-up your doing, a few week-ends per year no problem but longer trips over mainly interstate, something else may would work better.

If 2-up isn't the primary crieteria, I think you are right to re-consider a 650 twin, the Versys is a well done (not perfect) package and the while the 09 discount is VERY good, it should NOT be driving your selection.

Tom
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 PM

I put 60,000 km on a 2002 VFR. It never, ever missed a beat. It still looked like new when I sold it. With Staintunes, it was so sweet! My 2009 Versys has 14,000 km on it and it looks more worn than the VFR.
The VFR is more serious than the Versys. By that I mean the Versys is more fun because it isn't a bike to take too seriously. It likes to be flogged and pays back in grins. Where you may find yourself at 220 km/hr between corners on the VFR, the Versys won't ever get there. The Versys is a bit wobbly at high speeds where the VFR is rock solid.
Long days are a trade off between good air flow management on the VFR vs a more humane riding position on the Versys.
That being said, I look forward to getting on the Versys much more than the VFR, and that, in the end, is what really counts.
The Versys has definitely put the fun back into riding. It's few foibles add character, not annoyance.
I really doubt it can be beat on a grins/dollar basis.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 PM

There's no question the VFR will have more power; yet, the Versys is a motorcycle that is designed to give more diversity in riding. It is better on off roads yet not as good as a KLR or KTM, but its better on the roads and like wise its not as good as the VFR on the roads but better on the off roads. The V is more of an adventure bike that scores high on a wide range of terrain. I believe the straight twin motor is more relialble and the bike is less expensive if it breaks down. The bike gets better gas mileage and lighter, easier to ride in tougher terrain than the VFR. The bottom line is, it depends on what kind of riding you want to experience. I like the Versys because of its diversity, the bullet proof motor, its weight and how good it gets in gas mileage. At my age now at 40 I really don't care about the speed as much as I do of the overall adventure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM

I sold my FZ1 and bought a new 09 Versys and dont' regret it. Sure the FZ had far more power but there wasn't many times I could really use it. The Versys is more fun hands down and that is the reason I ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode