To V35 or not to V35....that is the question. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To V35 or not to V35....that is the question.

Last summer I took the V on a 2100 mile road trip. Luggage consisted of:
1. Motorrad Sport 2 Soft bag http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=48417
BTW- this bag is a must in my opinion.

2. Motorrad River bag -http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/images/72607653818.jpeg –this slipped off the bike and rubbed on the tire. Let’s just say its watertight integrity has been compromised. 

3. Givi 46 rear case. You know it, don’t need to show it.

4. No frills tank bag.

The aforementioned setup worked good with little complaint, but I found that my 46l rear case was full of stuff and I was always looking for helmet/glove storage; hence I feel it is time for some side cases.
I really like the look of the Green Givi v35 cases. In typing this, I just priced them out on the Kawi website for $938.00 BEFORE TAX AND SHIPPING! That is an awful lot of scratch. For those that have them, what did you pay, and are they worth it?
I also saw Mr.Brown’s post with his Seahorse/Pelican setup stating cost was $425 all inclusive. That looks like a really nice setup for the money. The only concern I have with that setup is case removal. You would need to empty the case to remove it from the bike for hotels ect.
The Caribou setup is fast removing, but my God, for the money I think I would have the Givi’s on.

As always, I defer to the great wisdom of this forum.
Thoughts?

Last edited by flienlow; 01-09-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
I really like the look of the Green Givi 46L cases. In typing this, I just priced them out on the Kawi website for $938.00 BEFORE TAX AND SHIPPING! That is an awful lot of scratch.
I presume you meant v35 instead off 46L. If thats the case, try to find a used set.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 PM

have you priced the givi setup at someplace other than kawi, like sporttour.com? i'm pretty sure there's a mfg markup. have you considered the possibility that perhaps you're packing too much? i mean, if you can't squeeze gloves in someplace...

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevrider; 01-09-2011 at 06:31 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM

You can also get them at twistedthrottle.com they carry some good stuff at reasonable prices. But I like the V35 Givi sidecases I don't think they make a 46 not sure.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
www.sporttour.com usally has the best prices with free shipping.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 PM

V35 panniers rock. They are nicely made, hold a good amount, and look at home on the V.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
I presume you meant v35 instead off 46L. If thats the case, try to find a used set.
Yes, edit complete.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM

I bought mine from the Kawa dealer I bought my bike from at the same time I bought the bike. (Southwest Kawasaki in Alamogordo, NM), and my memory is I paid about $750 from them back in June 2008. You might try buying them through your local dealer and save shipping costs, plus they might cut you a deal. The web price from Kawasaki is sure to be the actual list price, and local dealers might be happy to make a smaller commission than the one reflected in the list price. I have found the bags to hold up quite well after multiple droppings in the dirt, and even a couple of parking lot drops.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 PM

You obviously pack more than I do (observation, not criticism). I took a similar trip last summer just days after buying my Versys. I pondered long and hard about whether to go with V35s or something more svelte and eventually decided to buy the Givi E21s and I used the Givi mounts, since I plan to keep them on the bike all the time.

Like you, I paused at the price of the V35s. As others have recommended here, I bought from sporttour.com and was happy with the service (see thread linked above). The E21 setup cost half of what the V35s would have cost.

In addition to cost, I also prefer the top-loading feature. I've had side-loading bags before and spent too much time worrying they were going to pop open when packed (ahem) "fully."

Looks are subjective, so your opinion is the only one that matters on that count. I agree that the color-matched panels make the V35s look more integrated. To me they also look big. The E21s seem to my eye to have the right proportions for the Versys. They both look good to me, but then I tend to like the looks of anything that works well (like the Versys itself).

I doubt that's been helpful, but it's about the best I can offer since I decided not to go with the V35s myself.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 PM

I think the E21 look a little better on the versys but I you want to store your helmet I think you need to go with the V35. I have had v35 cases for about 5 years over 2 different motorcycles and they have held up very considering how many times I've stuffed the hell out of them. I am a likely new owner of a versys and while I could just transfer my v35s over I will consider the E21 because of how they look but in that case I would need a top case as well because I do find it convienient to be able to lock up my helmet on my motorcycle. Some helmets don't fit into the v35 cases any way I have heard by my medium suomy, medium quantum 2 and, small RX-Q do fit.

disclaimer - I am only assuming you can't fit a full face helmet in the e21 side cases based on volume and shape, I don't actually know you can't.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Unless you wear one of those ridiculous little beanie helmets that's about the size of a cereal bowl, you can't put your helmet in an E21.

Of course in the case of the OP, he already has a top box that the helmet would fit in... if he had space in it by moving other stuff from the top box to saddlebags.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

The E21! Ahhh that is why I post. I haven't considered these yet, and I do like the idea of top loading. I am probably guilty of packing too much, but my next trip is going to be a camping trip, so I will need extra space. I dont want to pack a helmet in the new side cases whatever they are, I will use the 46l topcase for that. I don't need the extra large HT type aluminum panniers, just something removeable for tools, fishing gear, and what not.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Shop around. I ended up going with the V35s just because I found of good deal and was short on time to put together something else.

I got actual Kawi V35s on Ebay for $350 (new) and bought black inserts for $30 (new) on some other website. I got the Kawi racks for the V35 for $170 (new).

Were I to do it all over again, and were I able to find an equivalent deal, I night go with seahorses and the caribou mounts. But, I've been happy with the V35s.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Why don't you just store your helmet on the bike with a cable lock?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Why don't you just store your helmet on the bike with a cable lock?
No reason, I just find it easier to put it in a case.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
The E21! Ahhh that is why I post. I haven't considered these yet, and I do like the idea of top loading. I am probably guilty of packing too much, but my next trip is going to be a camping trip, so I will need extra space. I dont want to pack a helmet in the new side cases whatever they are, I will use the 46l topcase for that. I don't need the extra large HT type aluminum panniers, just something removeable for tools, fishing gear, and what not.
If you can swallow the price, go with the v35's. Save some cash and go with the GIVI version, not the Kawasaki, as the kawasaki rack will not allow a top case. The one disadvantage is the green inserts are not available from Givi, but you can get just the inserts from kawasaki for right around $130.

Go here to read my review on the v35's.

Here's photos of my versys with v35 panniers and a v46 top box:
100_8833.jpg
100_8835.jpg
versys.jpg

This is with the panniers and box removed so you can see what the racks look like with the boxes removed.
100_9490.jpg

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Just another quick suggestion....

I like soft side bags. Just in case your bike goes down for whatever reason. Seems like it would be kind of a cushion if packed with clothing.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM

The Givi E-41's are handy. You can top load or side load at your convenience. And they don't look too shabby either IMO

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyrider View Post
Save some cash and go with the GIVI version, not the Kawasaki, as the kawasaki rack will not allow a top case.
That is not true. My bike had the stock Kawi/Givi bags on it when I bought it. I have since added the Givi topcase. It was a tight fit but it worked.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

My choice of side bags-original Kawa.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode